• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: The bottom has arrived

Let's just say that your estimate of cost to complete is accurate. I have no more reason to doubt your estimate than the Realtor who wrote $370K in the notes. I'm guessing your estimate also includes the cost to complete the carriage house. We are still looking at over one million dollars for a house which is probably one quarter mile to the beach, so I'm not sure what that tells us about our point on the curve. There are many factors which go into pricing and if you start listening to people who are only addressing the price per sq foot, you may not be getting a complete picture. Currently, there is great fluctuation in the price of lots, and we are seeing short sales, changing the price even more. Conservative buyers are slowing increasing their positions in real estate, while the market is in their favor. In a few cases, total price per sq ft for an existing home, including the lot, is less than the cost to build new, without the lot. I think most of today's buyers are cash buyers and have done their homework. They know the pickings are good, so they pick while the tree is bearing fruit. I just wish I had $700K to spend on my housing so that I could by the house which Bobby J and Gardner have listed in Seagrove.

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
Re: The bottom has arrived

In the past I have offered to paint a house in my skivvies for forty grand. This time I am offering to finish the inside of this fine house in only a t-shirt personally for the 370k.:cool:

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I sold at the height of the market in the South Louisiana oil field area in January and I am now liquid. I've learned that real estate, as with any speculation, is difficult. 12 or so years ago when I bought in Louisiana, even the establishment in real estate were scared, saying that prices were sky high and the cost of lumber rediculous. I bought, because I felt different and because it was time in my life. I bought new construction. 12 years later the house was 2 1/2 times what I bought it for and I was at a time in my life when I needed to do something because of a dream I wanted to follow, so I sold. Being that much of the country is down right now, and my area was up, what better time to do it. But, I cannot buy currently, even if it was bottom, because I am pursuing a writing career and not otherwise working. But, from what I can see, and Shelly, you have done an outstanding job of research and data digging (loved the past quotes of the Realtor) and maybe, just maybe if I'm successful or otherwise join the ranks of the employed, I'll get in at just the right time in a year or so. Or I'll have spent all my money and die as a struggling, misunderstood artist unvalidated and lonely under a bridge along I-10. Wow, I sure hope this works out :)

sandybanks

Beach Fanatic
Mar 15, 2008
In a nice place
I sold at the height of the market in the South Louisiana oil field area in January and I am now liquid. I've learned that real estate, as with any speculation, is difficult. 12 or so years ago when I bought in Louisiana, even the establishment in real estate were scared, saying that prices were sky high and the cost of lumber ridiculous. I bought, because I felt different and because it was time in my life. I bought new construction. 12 years later the house was 2 1/2 times what I bought it for and I was at a time in my life when I needed to do something because of a dream I wanted to follow, so I sold. Being that much of the country is down right now, and my area was up, what better time to do it. But, I cannot buy currently, even if it was bottom, because I am pursuing a writing career and not otherwise working. But, from what I can see, and Shelly, you have done an outstanding job of research and data digging (loved the past quotes of the Realtor) and maybe, just maybe if I'm successful or otherwise join the ranks of the employed, I'll get in at just the right time in a year or so. Or I'll have spent all my money and die as a struggling, misunderstood artist unvalidated and lonely under a bridge along I-10. Wow, I sure hope this works out :)

Hopefully you can become another Eric Blair. I love reading a good book and try to read at least one book a week. Getting back to the topic at hand, It is my understanding that American home owners could lose as much as 6 trillion dollars in housing wealth over the next year.

I don't even believe the depression had those types of losses for American home owners during that time (factoring in inflation).

I further understand that the average home owner will lose $85,000 in wealth. Talk about a bad time to buy, this is ridiculous but it is what must be done in order for us to indeed find that illusive bottom.

A Washington think tank has come out and said that home prices are now starting to fall at an accelerating rate, they say that the bottom should be found by the end of the year.

I don't claim to even have finished High School, but I just don't see the bottom coming for at least another few years. I would hope we have already seen the worst but I just feel that pressure on our dollar will have many finding their way in front of a bankruptcy Judge.

The one great thing that America has going for it is, there is not another currency to go to. So until then, we will continue to blow like a flag in the wind.

The amount of wealth that will change hands over the next few years will be mind boggle-ling.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
I think the bottom can not really be clear. Markets are so local in nature. We may be close here but Rockford, IL. may have a long way to go. I do know one fact. We are as busy as we have been in 2 years. Is this the bottom? Not sure, but it sure feels active. I think many economist have miscalculated how fast these foreclosures and short sales would leave the market place. Predicting the bottom is as dangerous as speculating. That's how we got in this mess!

Same here Bobby. The activity has been strongest since about 2004 (maybe early 2005), I'd say. We've been putting a lot of offers in and have a few executed contracts. Closed numbers are up in certain communities as well so something is definitely picking up.

As of today in S. Walton East and West and South SRB we have 1447 active single family home listings, of those there are 83 short sales or roughly 6%. If you go through the pendings or under contract with contingencies you'll find over 50% are short sales. Why? Because they are supposedly market value. Search any subdivision for active listings and 9 times out of 10 the lowest priced properties are disclosed as short sales. They are priced low to attract offers of which most times the bank will counter.

According to Forbes recent article "Fire Sale" the banks are finally wising up and moving at a much more effective pace in dealing with short sales and are getting them executed and closed much faster:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0407/040.html

Glad you brought up the short sales Joe because have had some recent discussions with one of my realtors. I'm afraid as usual, the banks may have wised up a little late. We've had quite a few signed contracts waiting on the banks which just came back too high or took too long and the buyers walked. The problem is compounded by multiple lenders on many of the short sales. We had contracts twice on the same property and the banks just wouldn't respond. The owners even had a paid mediator to deal with the banks. After the second buyer walked, the bank wanted to talk. Unfortunately the owners claimed bankruptcy and I feel was largely due to the banks.

We have been hearing from an overwhelming number of agents that they don't even show short sales and we are seriously considering avoiding the language of "short sale" in favor of "pre-forclosure". It's the sellers choice of course but I think that marketing as a short sale has become a deterrent. My agents do show them because we want our clients to have full knowledge of what's out there but we've had much more luck taking an agressively priced unit and lowballing it. Sellers seem to understand that if they are lucky enough to get an offer, they better seriously consider it.

True story,

Well anyway I was talking to him last night and he was saying he felt like he should end it all and kill himself. I asked him what the heck was he thinking. Be careful in buying real estate, the days in flipping a condo are gone with the Dinosaur's.

If you buy something let it be because you want the house to live in and not to make a profit, there are much easier ways to make a buck than to flip a condo that is on this beach. If you will wait you can get some killer buys no pun intended.:dunno:

How sad Sandy. I'm so sorry for your friend and he's not alone. Many people are struggling right now. Real estate has always been an excellent long term investment. It is a tried and true way to make money. The "Donalds" are buying now, not 2 years ago. They started looking about a year ago and they are beginning to write contracts now. This isn't speculation, it's personal knowledge. Of course, these people aren't buying homes or single condos and you don't see these sales in the MLS.

The Real Trend report is a good overall statistic, but by breaking up the sales into specific areas, you will see that there are hot spots for sales, as shown above. Remember that if there are hot spots which increase the overall average, there are also cold spots, which are under-performing when comparing 2008 to 2007.

Very good point SJ which I know we've made before. Looking at trends for all of ECAR is about as indicative of the market as looking at nationwide statistics. The numbers are tremendously different in different areas and in different sectors (SFH,Condos, Commercial & Land).

Someone also mentioned something about lenders not lending and how it's affecting sales. The one's we've got are either cash deals or just under jumbo if they are financed.

Back to the lounge :lol:

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Am I seeing things, or is the Walton County appraiser listing zero sales for April? I did a quick off the cuff itemization of total sales over the last three years from their sales lists - it doesn't look good.

waltonctyqualifiedsales.jpg

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
yeah, you're seeing things. I purchased something in April, so that would have at least made 1.
I think the appraisers site takes a few days to populate each months sales. Right now, the link for April will work, but the field is empty... same thing happenned last month for a while.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
yeah, you're seeing things. I purchased something in April, so that would have at least made 1.
I think the appraisers site takes a few days to populate each months sales. Right now, the link for April will work, but the field is empty... same thing happenned last month for a while.

March sales figures are also wrong. When April figures get posted, the correct closing numbers for March will also repopulate the site.

Also, as Joe frequently points out, some areas have been hotter than others. The Walton County website gives figures for the entire county. Finally, the real trend report is a good double check on the sales figures for all of Walton County and the figures off the Real Trend report for 2008 look better than the Appraiser site figures (Real Trend is published once a month on WaltonSun.com).

Last edited:

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I can't seem to find that report on their site, is it only available in the online edition?

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
We have been hearing from an overwhelming number of agents that they don't even show short sales and we are seriously considering avoiding the language of "short sale" in favor of "pre-forclosure".

Question: If a potential buyer sees "pre-foreclosure" won't he assume foreclosure is imminent and wait until that happens so he can get a better deal? :blush: