Calling The Bottom

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by spinDrAtl, Jan 30, 2008.

1. spinDrAtl

spinDrAtl Beach Fanatic

A couple days ago I happened to be reading an article in the Atlanta Journal regarding the market in Panama City. There was a quote from Janet Roan, a local (PC, not Atl) real estate agent - "Now is the time to buy. It's a buyer's market." But she says, "If you are looking to buy something to flip it, don't even try it right now."

The catch? That article was from April 16, 2006.

There was another guy who had put contracts on 3 units in Panama City towers, pre-construction, each in the low 200k range. The article says the prices had tripled and then fell back but were still above his contract price. He said at the time he still expected to be able to sell at a comfortable profit although they were not yet completed. He was worried at the time that they may be overdeveloping the Panama City Beach area.

I'd like to see the AJC or some other organization do some follow up stories and talk to some of the same people interviewed previously. What does that agent think now? Did that guy close on his 3 properties and sell them or did he walk from his deposits? Is he stuck in 3 condos, eating a monthly mortgage while taking in some little bit of rent?

2. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You have to remember that the Realtor was comparing the prices in 2006, to the recent historical highs of 2005. A Realtor cannot compare today's prices to the potential future prices. So was she wrong? Only in hind sight we know such things. If we could predict the future, we wouldn't be working.

3. Rambunkscious

Rambunkscious Beach Lover

Thats why a grain of salt mixed in with investment advice is prudent.
    The realtor thought she was right but history usually proves us all wrong.
    A lot of realtors will just give you the facts, and let you decide, and I think this method is preferred.

4. seaside2

seaside2 Beach Fanatic

Amen, brother, amen

5. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

:shock: A Realtor said, "Now is The Time to Buy" ? :shock:

6. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

Ditto!

7. spinDrAtl

spinDrAtl Beach Fanatic

Of course you can only compare to the past prices. I think I would have preferred someone to say 'Prices are down x% from the highs of 2005', not a definitive statement such as the one above. 'Now is the time to buy' seems to give an entirely different piece of information, intentionally or unintentionally. By making that statement, she actually seems to be comparing 'now' to some point in the future that she thinks she has foreseen, IMHO.

8. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Looked her up on www.myfloridalicense.com, she still has an active real estate license, but like so many realtors is now exam eligible for her CAM license.

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

You make a very good point.

10. trying2makeabuc

trying2makeabuc Beach Comber

Calling the bottom!

Enough Negativity. I am predicting we will hit the bottom of the market either this quarter or next! Definition -The total amount of totals sales of DSF homes will increase starting next qtr or the qtr after. That doesn't mean that house prices our at their lowest. Ex. If 3 homes sell in a qtr for $320 that's $960k in total sales. If next qtr 10 homes sell @ $300 each that is $3,000,000 in sales. And I am only talking about DSF homes. I think the condo market will take longer and the land market longer still.

Why? 1) prices are more realistic. After many months of lower prices and few sales, prices are acceptable- slightly above 2003 prices with a modest inflation rate. True vacationers think they can get a deal but aren't expecting a firesale 2) demand hasn't gone away, people are still renting like crazy here 3) the recession/ economy is only affecting certain segments. People have assessed their personal situations and have determined if they'll remain unscathed or not. I am seeing people look at making investments and other financial decisions 4) lower interest rates gets people thinking 5) I'm a contrarian - the negative news is so over the top it'll fade soon as a new news story takes over. It been taken account of in the US economy.

Let the arguing begin!

11. BeachKing

BeachKing Beach Lover

Re: Calling the bottom!

Random PM Thought: Once the market stops looking at a second home at the beach as an "Investment" and begins to look at it as a place to get away to, then and only then will market stop it?s bleeding.

12. rapunzel

rapunzel Beach Fanatic

We actually had a market bottom prediction thread a while back. Is anyone keeping track of it, because I'm feeling really confident about my prediction at this point.

13. Hollibird

Hollibird Beach Lover

I hope it happens soon. we have a lot in panama city and just want to break even at this point.

14. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear

Feb. 2009

You also said:

"I just don't think one party or the other makes a whole lot of difference in the market. Everything ebbs and flows from administration to administration. After about eight years the excesses of either party begins to take it's toll. It seems to me the huge debt that is being run up right now with no sort of fiscal responsibility brings in its own set of issues for investment. I worked in a different industry, but always found that when one party was in control all protection went to employer groups and hospitals, and eventually the squeeze would be so tight on doctors and customers and the next party would come in, fix some problems and create others...then the pendulum would swing the other way.

"I just don't trust a lot of the economic numbers coming out right now. And I think that as long as we pretend there is not a problem when everyone can clearly see there are problems, then nothing will get done. Capital gains are hurt as much by an extremely weak dollar as higher taxes, are they not?"

:clap:

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=9008&highlight=market+bottom+prediction

I never did stick my neck out and predict.

15. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

I think the bottom is when you see a piece of property you really like at a price you can afford... Afford to hold and enjoy! The investment will happen with time.

16. hnooe

hnooe Beach Fanatic

Right on...My friend from Atlanta is staying with me--he just read this thread--- and his comment was that too many people came down here and tried to win the lottery instead of just trying to enjoy a sacred and beautiful place.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  17. 00seer00

00seer00 Beach Lover

I see 2 more full points cut by July. This will put prime at 4% and you should be able to get home loans at a similar price. First time home buyers and mortgages for people with household income of less than 53K per year will be able to buy with little or no money down. Yes I know that affordable housing is not what SOWAL is known for but many of the people who own here make their living off of mortgage lending, construction, Real-estate sales, ect. You will be able to buy for what you can rent for if you stay in the 100k to 200k range. We are so blessed to have the Airport on the way because of its impact on the economy over the next 20 years. As far as a pricing bottom, many will be forced into selling on fear and desperation and that is heartbreaking to see, though some find joy in it. SOWAL is a amazing place and in time it will be discovered. I hear more and more of Hedge funds buying up REO?s controlled by Banks and people buying up foreclosures. Hopefully this summer will be the bottom but appreciation from the bottom will be a slow climb up.

00seer00

18. jlweathers

jlweathers Banned

just glad to hear the bottom is here!!! only one way to go now....well two if you count sideways. & i hope we do have a slow rise; we do not need the 2004-2005 mess ever, ever again! it was just unhealthy all the way around.

19. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

I predict in some areas we are going to go below real values. Once the mess gets cleaned up we will spike again in those areas. Just my opinion.

20. flyforfun

flyforfun Beach Fanatic

Well, someone needs to tell Walton Co. tax appraisers office that cause I am still not happy my tax bills. You want see investors buying down there until you get a handle on the tax schedule. Taxes have decreased but its not enough. There use to be a time when you could pay cash for rental property, and make a decent return from rentals. "Not any more" thanks to high tax schedules and insurance. Until Walton County and the Florida legislature takes these two problems more seriously, its going to be an extremely slow climb up from the bottom if at all.