• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Lexie is too cute! Congrats on the addition. We just adopted a friend for our Gigi, a border mix this weekend. What we were told was that we had to keep Gigi the dominant one. We are supposed to accomplish this by speaking to gigi first, feeding her first, etc. We did pick a dog w/ a calmer attitude than gigi, she is a corgi/cocker mix about the same age. So far so good. I have seen lots of play, w/ one or the other wanting to stop play fighting but the other not noticing which led to bark or too, but no nipping. Of course, since ours was always alone and not grieving for a lost playmate may mean its a different story. Good luck and congrats.

Uh oh. I've been trying to make Shyann be nicer, maybe I need to back off and let her be dominant. I'm just afraid one is going to get hurt.:shock:

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
I am the proud parent of a pack of 4. Three came to me as young dogs and another decided to move in as an adult. We started with one and built up over the years. The main things in my experience were establishing to them that People rule, we pay the bills,don't we? Watch and learn their behavioral cues to you that signal when one is building up a head of steam. Learn what cues they show so you can head it off. I also learned on the dog whisperer, and yes I couldn't have done it without him, that whenever one dog gets aggressive with another. Put the aggressive dog on the floor, tummy exposed. Call the other dog in and let her be around the bully. This affects both of them. The bully learns, I better not do that or I'll have to lay on my back and it shows the passive dog, see I'll help you with this. Sometimes it can be a problem if they share food and water. If this is where they get mad, you either need separate feeding stations or you have to monitor them while they are eating. I know this sounds like a real hassle but what I found was that the aggressive behavior dropped off when we intervened and the passive dog became more confident and less of a target. And, it can be done. What I haven't been able to manage much success with is walking my dogs. I have the four on leases and I am in a wheelchair. The dogs love to play maypole and tangle me and everyone else up, so I have delegated that to other family. It does help if you walk them together. A tired dog is much less likely to have the energy to waste on squables. Good luck and I know it will work out fine. Just remember they are dogs. They won't stope a behavior because you want themn to, they will only stop when you refuse to allow it.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I am the proud parent of a pack of 4. Three came to me as young dogs and another decided to move in as an adult. We started with one and built up over the years. The main things in my experience were establishing to them that People rule, we pay the bills,don't we? Watch and learn their behavioral cues to you that signal when one is building up a head of steam. Learn what cues they show so you can head it off. I also learned on the dog whisperer, and yes I couldn't have done it without him, that whenever one dog gets aggressive with another. Put the aggressive dog on the floor, tummy exposed. Call the other dog in and let her be around the bully. This affects both of them. The bully learns, I better not do that or I'll have to lay on my back and it shows the passive dog, see I'll help you with this. Sometimes it can be a problem if they share food and water. If this is where they get mad, you either need separate feeding stations or you have to monitor them while they are eating. I know this sounds like a real hassle but what I found was that the aggressive behavior dropped off when we intervened and the passive dog became more confident and less of a target. And, it can be done. What I haven't been able to manage much success with is walking my dogs. I have the four on leases and I am in a wheelchair. The dogs love to play maypole and tangle me and everyone else up, so I have delegated that to other family. It does help if you walk them together. A tired dog is much less likely to have the energy to waste on squables. Good luck and I know it will work out fine. Just remember they are dogs. They won't stope a behavior because you want themn to, they will only stop when you refuse to allow it.

Good advice. Even the two that grew up together always had their own bowls and water dish. We are actually sharing the same space right now and all is good. It's when Lexie starts to wander through the house that Shy gets grumped with her. :wave: The only one not in the fray is the cat. She is quite amused at goings on.:D

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Congrats Al.:clap: Lexie is beautiful, and I am glad you got a rescue. She's lucky to have you. I can't offer you any advice on the doggy front. Good luck and enjoy.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Ours both just did the Hello; sniffed each others butts for a day or so; had a few scraps NOT bad though; and we ALWAYS supervised the two when together in close or open quarters; worked out fine:D

This is exactly what we did, too. The 1st one was very po'd that we brought Rudy (the BC) home as a pup. He fought him and snarled, hated him. Rudy kept playing. It only took maybe 2 days at most. Just keep a watch for any harmful aggression. In other words, don't leave them for a day alone just yet! Shy will end up the dominant one. Congratulations! :clap:

njackie, adorable photo!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Welcome Lexi! Our golden is Lexi too, may your Lexi enjoy her family and the beach too!

Wow, a dog that changes diapers. How many treats did that take? Who cares, it was probably worth it. :rotfl:

Aleo, congrats on the new fur baby, ours (we have cats) are still trying to distinguish Alpha after 2 years. I'm pretty sure dogs do it faster.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Aleo, Lexie's precious! I'm real happy for you. I'm sure they'll work it out in what will seem like a long time to you, but a short time for them. Keep the faith, baby. :wave: