New Addition!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Alicia Leonard, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Cheering472

Cheering472 SoWal Insider

She's beautiful. I'm so happy for you all. Keep us posted.

2. hnooe

hnooe Beach Fanatic

Oh Baby...cute!!!

AL I want to be direct and positive...but... as u know I have two females Border Collies (pictured above) Mamie and Bess. One pup came home, then another in 6 month after that--those two only tolerate each other, they don't love each other, and still today they can "get into it" big time--"what is black and white and red all over?" Answer--sometimes my bloodied walls!!! My prayers are that your pack does much better, I would talk with a proffessional trainer/dog therapist.

Bad news for me-- two female Border Collies (12. 5 and 13 yr old )for me have equalled a lifetime of on and off problems.

One reason they don't get along (accroding to my dear departed mother) is that one is a Dem., and the other a Repub. ..get it???

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle
    Thanks, H. I also read after I got Lexie home that males and females have less issues with this. Sarge and Shyann got into a few times but it was her that started it with him and he'd just pull back and look at her like she'd lost her mind and it was over. 90% of the time they were like PB & J. We are going to give it an honest effort for at least a month. Wish us luck :wave:

4. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Beautiful dog and congrats on the new addition to the family. First off you are the Alpha, make sure both know that. So basically if any behavior that is not appropriate, you the Alpha, deal with it.

Try very hard to prevent the problem before it occurs, such the feeding suggestion. If you have to walk them seperately then do so for a while.

Shyann is going to have to learn that you are the one in charge and that you will not tolerate her bad attitude of any kind toward Lexie.

As Hnooe stated they might never be close but they can learn to tolerate each other.

Definitely seek the advice of someone that works with Borders and trains. Also this link was very helpful to a friend who had a similar problem.

http://leerburg.com/introducingdogs.htm

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  5. Alicia Leonard

We got through another day blood free. Shyann is still harassing her, but Lexie is starting to give as good as she gets and seems to earn more respect from Shy when she does it. Lexie had a mouthful of her head a few times today but would just hold her and not bite her. I spoke with a trainer this afternoon that Laurie put me in touch with. She said I was doing good and since no blood had flown or crying, they would most probably work everything out during the first month. I had been yelling at them when they tie up, but the trainer said to dirvert them in a postive way....... We three are a work in progress.

6. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Beach Fanatic

Good for you.:D and the canine.

7. hnooe

hnooe Beach Fanatic

I am pissed AL, you are going to end up a better BordCol parent, and pack leader than I ever hoped to be. :wave:

I guess some of us were born parents and pack leaders!!:D

8. Alicia Leonard

:wub:You've had your two for a long time and they are both still alive, so you are doing something right, my friend:wave:

I have found the one thing Shy dislikes more than Lexie(she is really conflicted, bullies her, but whines when she is gone) and it is a glass of water. The trainer told me I should have doused them this morning with water, when they got into in the kitchen and then acted like nothing happened. I, before knowing this just screamed "UUUGGGGGG".:blush: After about three more tussles today, I calmly walked in the living room and poured a glass on water on their heads. The broke apart and looked at me like I was crazy. I behaved like nothing happened. Ask if they wanted to go outside in a happy voice and we then went outside and they played. The trainer also told me if they were not breaking skin or bleeding they had a 99 percent chance of working this out with in a month.

They are now sharing space in the bedroom(shys room) with no issue. Shy does not like getting wet:D Water, good to drink and for breaking up the puppy fights. It really does cool them off:cool:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  9. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

So do you think a spray bottle would work? Or is that not enough water? I know it is just water but if you have carpet that can be kind of a pain. Congrats on your progress so far!

10. Alicia Leonard

I just emptied a half a bottle on them in the kitchen at feeding time. tried to keep them separate but they both wanted in the others room to see if they got something else. They and I are all having a time out right now.:blink:

11. Alicia Leonard

The gurls after they were baptized today.:blush:
    [​IMG]

12. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

Baptized. :lolabove::lolabove: That's right, put the "fear of God" or at least the "fear of mom" in them.

13. bluemtnrunner

bluemtnrunner Beach Fanatic

They should be able to work it out, definitely stand back so that they aren't competing over you or trying to protect you from the other. Don't reach in between them if they fight, slid a chair in between them, protect your digits.

The first thing I have always taught my dogs is to sit while food bowls are being filled and then I put the bowl down and they have to wait for the "OK" command before they can move. This gives time to move one dog into another room or on the porch if necessary. This has been invaluable when visiting my sister and her three dogs as they all sit and wait until all of the bowls are in the designated spots.
    We took in a lab puppy (6-9 months) this week and he has already gotten a good grasp of the concept.

14. Alicia Leonard

Thanks. the fights are starting to be over quick. Lexie clearly can take Shy. Shy is just stubborn. Lexie stops as soon as she has the upper hand or shy stops. The trainer equated it to someone having an argument and the other person following them into the room to keep it going. Lexie wins, shy keeps following her around.

Shy and Sarge were trained, like your from pups. Lexie, has not had any training that I can see. But, she is sweet, good tolerant personality and is starting to sit on command, without me having to put a hand on her back. She did well with heel, on the leash yesterday. Shy is setting a good example of how to follow commands for her.

I haven't tried to separate them physically. Just a shout was enough to make it stop, but the water works better and doesn't escalate the fight. It really makes Shy shift gears and she hates to get wet. We are getting there.:blink::wave:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  15. Alicia Leonard

Alpha Mom will rain down the mighty H2O:D

16. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Awww..aleo. I've loved reading about your new addition and how you've been handling the scraps. You are a good mom and Lexie is lucky to have adopted you. :wub::wave:

17. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

It sounds like you got a good thing goin' here! :clap:

I have a question tho, is Lexie part BC?? She looks like she's part shepherd.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  18. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

AL, they are both beautiful. I think you are doing wonerful job with them. I predict there will be peace and harmony soon for you. I dealt with the same thing for little while when I rescued a Jack Russel and brought him home with my sheppard mix. He is male and she female. It took a couple weeks, but they get along wonderful now. They eat side by side, and play and sleep together now. This was about 3 years ago now that I brought him home.

I think two females are harder than male/female, but I still think it can be worked out between them. It is wonderful of you to have rescued her, they truly are the best in my opinion.

:wave:

19. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

I forgot to ask, do you know what Shyann's history is? Was she in an abusive situation, or just given up for a different reason? Just wondering.

20. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

KDW, is this jack Russell a hand full - like lots of energy? That's what Mr JR wants to get next but we're afraid that a J.R. would wear us out!