• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
She's beautiful. I'm so happy for you all. Keep us posted.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Well, I brought home Lexie this afternoon from Alaqua.
FL716.11248907-1-pn.jpg

She is a sweetie and she and I are well on our way to bonding. She and Shaynn are another issue. Lexie want to be friends and shyann has nipped at her twice. I introduced them outside, but Shy was not happy. Lexie got a good bath and Shyann seems to be perkier than she has been since Sarge passed, if only because she is watching Lexie with hawk eyes. How long if you introduced another to your pack did it take for them to get along? How did you help them to work it out?

Thanks,
AL

Oh Baby...cute!!!

AL I want to be direct and positive...but... as u know I have two females Border Collies (pictured above) Mamie and Bess. One pup came home, then another in 6 month after that--those two only tolerate each other, they don't love each other, and still today they can "get into it" big time--"what is black and white and red all over?" Answer--sometimes my bloodied walls!!! My prayers are that your pack does much better, I would talk with a proffessional trainer/dog therapist.

Bad news for me-- two female Border Collies (12. 5 and 13 yr old )for me have equalled a lifetime of on and off problems.

One reason they don't get along (accroding to my dear departed mother) is that one is a Dem., and the other a Repub. ..get it???

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Oh Baby...cute!!!

Al I want to be direct and positive...but... as u know I have two females Border Collies. One pup came home, then another in 6 month after that--those two only tolerate each other, they don't love each other, and still today they can "get into it" big time--"what is black and white and red all over?" Answer--sometimes my bloodied walls!!! My prayers are that you pack does better, I would talk with a proffessional trainer/dog therapist

Bad news for me-- two female Border Collies (12. 5 and 13 yr old )for me have equalled a lifetime of on and off problems.

Thanks, H. I also read after I got Lexie home that males and females have less issues with this. Sarge and Shyann got into a few times but it was her that started it with him and he'd just pull back and look at her like she'd lost her mind and it was over. 90% of the time they were like PB & J. We are going to give it an honest effort for at least a month. Wish us luck :wave:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Beautiful dog and congrats on the new addition to the family. First off you are the Alpha, make sure both know that. So basically if any behavior that is not appropriate, you the Alpha, deal with it.

Try very hard to prevent the problem before it occurs, such the feeding suggestion. If you have to walk them seperately then do so for a while.

Shyann is going to have to learn that you are the one in charge and that you will not tolerate her bad attitude of any kind toward Lexie.

As Hnooe stated they might never be close but they can learn to tolerate each other.

Definitely seek the advice of someone that works with Borders and trains. Also this link was very helpful to a friend who had a similar problem.

http://leerburg.com/introducingdogs.htm

Good luck.

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
We got through another day blood free. Shyann is still harassing her, but Lexie is starting to give as good as she gets and seems to earn more respect from Shy when she does it. Lexie had a mouthful of her head a few times today but would just hold her and not bite her. I spoke with a trainer this afternoon that Laurie put me in touch with. She said I was doing good and since no blood had flown or crying, they would most probably work everything out during the first month. I had been yelling at them when they tie up, but the trainer said to dirvert them in a postive way....... We three are a work in progress.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
I am pissed AL, you are going to end up a better BordCol parent, and pack leader than I ever hoped to be. :wave:

I guess some of us were born parents and pack leaders!!:D

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I am pissed AL, you are going to end up a better BordCol parent, and pack leader than I ever hoped to be. :wave:

I guess some of us were born parents and pack leaders!!:D

:love:You've had your two for a long time and they are both still alive, so you are doing something right, my friend:wave:

I have found the one thing Shy dislikes more than Lexie(she is really conflicted, bullies her, but whines when she is gone) and it is a glass of water. The trainer told me I should have doused them this morning with water, when they got into in the kitchen and then acted like nothing happened. I, before knowing this just screamed "UUUGGGGGG".:blush: After about three more tussles today, I calmly walked in the living room and poured a glass on water on their heads. The broke apart and looked at me like I was crazy. I behaved like nothing happened. Ask if they wanted to go outside in a happy voice and we then went outside and they played. The trainer also told me if they were not breaking skin or bleeding they had a 99 percent chance of working this out with in a month.

They are now sharing space in the bedroom(shys room) with no issue. Shy does not like getting wet:D Water, good to drink and for breaking up the puppy fights. It really does cool them off:cool:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
:love:You've had your two for a long time and they are both still alive, so you are doing something right, my friend:wave:

I have found the one thing Shy dislikes more than Lexie(she is really conflicted, bullies her, but whines when she is gone) and it is a glass of water. The trainer told me I should have doused them this morning with water, when they got into in the kitchen and then acted like nothing happened. I, before knowing this just screamed "UUUGGGGGG".:blush: After about three more tussles today, I calmly walked in the living room and poured a glass on water on their heads. The broke apart and looked at me like I was crazy. I behaved like nothing happened. Ask if they wanted to go outside in a happy voice and we then went outside and they played. The trainer also told me if they were not breaking skin or bleeding they had a 99 percent chance of working this out with in a month.

They are now sharing space in the bedroom(shys room) with no issue. Shy does not like getting wet:D Water, good to drink and for breaking up the puppy fights. It really does cool them off:cool:

So do you think a spray bottle would work? Or is that not enough water? I know it is just water but if you have carpet that can be kind of a pain. Congrats on your progress so far!

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
So do you think a spray bottle would work? Or is that not enough water? I know it is just water but if you have carpet that can be kind of a pain. Congrats on your progress so far!

I just emptied a half a bottle on them in the kitchen at feeding time. tried to keep them separate but they both wanted in the others room to see if they got something else. They and I are all having a time out right now.:blink: