• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

litiGator

Beach Comber
Sep 24, 2007
They contend the developer did not follow the approved development plan and the original Development of Regional Impact approved under the Sandestin DRI. This failure has caused the subdivision to be inundated with water during times of heavy rain because of the inadequate storm water management system currently in place.
Osborne has repeatedly asked the BCC to hold the development is not in compliance citing various inconsistencies throughout Driftwood's developmental history. He said because Brannon voted to not uphold the noncompliance, Brannon essentially enriched his business partner, Jones. Had the development been held in non compliance it would have greatly reduced the value of Jones' holdings in Driftwood, which Osborne estimated to have a current tax value of approximately $4.5 million.

Mr. Osborne I do applaud and appreciate your effort at creating transparency at all levels of government. In the vein, would you explain your reasoning above. If CWJ Holdings, bought 70 lots from the original developer, then how is CWJ any different from you as an owner? What benefit was conferred upon CWJ that wasn't also conferred upon you? Aren't you both just owners within the same subdivision? Doesn't CWJ benefit more from having the Driftwood brought into compliance? It would seem that a non-flooded Driftwood would be more beneficial to CWJ's property values than a flooded Driftwood. Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Also, could you also explain how any benefit to CWJ would benefit Commissioner Brannon as a member of Freeport Group, LLC? Do you know what Freeport Group, LLC does? Are you saying that when CWJ sales its property in Driftwood, that Mr. Jones, its sole member, then cuts a check to Freeport Group LLC to share his profits with the other members of Freeport Group, LLC? That doesn't make much tax or business sense...? Does it?

I really appreciate any light you can further shed on your grievance stated above.

One final question...if you aren't on a witchhunt and you believe everyone is innocent until proven guilty, then why did you decide to present your claim in a public meeting and to Channel 7 News before a formal investigation could be concluded on the matter? Haven't you already convicted Commissioner Brannon in the eyes of the public prior to the conclusion of any official investigation? Or do you have evidence of a substantial connection between the business of CWJ and Freeport Group that is conclusive?

With Warmest Regards,

Sam Story

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Mr. Osborne I do applaud and appreciate your effort at creating transparency at all levels of government. In the vein, would you explain your reasoning above. If CWJ Holdings, bought 70 lots from the original developer, then how is CWJ any different from you as an owner? What benefit was conferred upon CWJ that wasn't also conferred upon you? Aren't you both just owners within the same subdivision? Doesn't CWJ benefit more from having the Driftwood brought into compliance? It would seem that a non-flooded Driftwood would be more beneficial to CWJ's property values than a flooded Driftwood. Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Also, could you also explain how any benefit to CWJ would benefit Commissioner Brannon as a member of Freeport Group, LLC? Do you know what Freeport Group, LLC does? Are you saying that when CWJ sales its property in Driftwood, that Mr. Jones, its sole member, then cuts a check to Freeport Group LLC to share his profits with the other members of Freeport Group, LLC? That doesn't make much tax or business sense...? Does it?

I really appreciate any light you can further shed on your grievance stated above.

One final question...if you aren't on a witchhunt and you believe everyone is innocent until proven guilty, then why did you decide to present your claim in a public meeting and to Channel 7 News before a formal investigation could be concluded on the matter? Haven't you already convicted Commissioner Brannon in the eyes of the public prior to the conclusion of any official investigation? Or do you have evidence of a substantial connection between the business of CWJ and Freeport Group that is conclusive?

With Warmest Regards,

Sam Story

Here you go, taking all the fun out of this again.:funn:

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach

With Warmest Regards,

Sam Story

You're right Sam Story, since Brannon does not directly own part of the Driftwood property in question, he would get no benefit from his association with the principal, wink wink. I'm sure that he wouldn't feel any allegience to the principal when voting on the Driftwood matter. Assuming that you are an adult, I'm sure that you can see that this situation smells. As far as the first question, in many cases developers sell lump sums of lots to other developers who in effect, become the defacto developer. This is done for many reasons and is typically part of a quid pro quo arrangement. I doubt that Jones needed 70 lots for a homestead. In fact, if enough research were done, you might find that Olson has purchased in one or more of Jones' developments. I know Alan and understand why he is doing this. He's not a personal friend, partner or anything like that. He's pissed because this is BS. I hope to God that he is only beginning his crusade because speaking for what I believe is a large faction of the county and country, its(corruption has) gotten out of hand.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I guess not everyone attends the County Commissioner Mtgs. Oh, well. I guess late is better than never. Sorry I missed the last one -- and people say County Gov't is boring. It's better than any prime-time television, at least more entertaining.

At least our commissioners are trying to make a living without separating me from more of my tax dollars. ( see Don Amunds in Okaloosa) I think someone should have far more proof than a list of who a commissioner does businesswith before they accuse that commissioner of being a crook. Just because Brannon owns a part of a business along with Jones does not mean Brannon is profiting from Jones' Driftwood deal. This whole thing smells like sour grapes to me from someone who cannot convince the BCC to do what they want. My gosh, by your reasoning my ownership of AIG stock makes me guilty of all this bailout mess. LOLOLOL

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
idlewind, I don't believe a Commissioner has to profit in order from them to recuse him or herself. If I am a Commissioner, and I have a business partner, with ABC, LLC, and that partner has full interest in CDE, LLC, and an issue affecting CDE,LLC is brought before me to vote, by law, I am to recuse myself from the matter.

Just because one case is less offensive than another, it doesn't make it right, does it?

idlewind, I don't believe a Commissioner has to profit in order from them to recuse him or herself. If I am a Commissioner, and I have a business partner, with ABC, LLC, and that partner has full interest in CDE, LLC, and an issue affecting CDE,LLC is brought before me to vote, by law, I am to recuse myself from the matter.

Just because one case is less offensive than another, it doesn't make it right, does it?

By that logic no one who is successful or has a large family should be a commissioner because in both cases they will have multiple conflicts. I may be naive, but I would hope someone could see issues for what they are. I guess it is beyond the realm of possibility that the BCC might think that they are right and the Driftwood HOA is wrong based on honest opinions? I guess if someone does not agree with me, then by definition they must be a crook.:bang::bang:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
By that logic no one who is successful or has a large family should be a commissioner because in both cases they will have multiple conflicts. I may be naive, but I would hope someone could see issues for what they are. I guess it is beyond the realm of possibility that the BCC might think that they are right and the Driftwood HOA is wrong based on honest opinions? I guess if someone does not agree with me, then by definition they must be a crook.:bang::bang:

The appearance of a conflict of interest is just as bad as an actual conflict of interest. It is one of the reasons we have our Sunshine Laws.