• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
We got a great melon recently from Publix. Seedless and Yummy...

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
Watermelons R Us

HaHa! I only HOPE. I planted...I watered...I Hope. Todays count was at least 32...We shall see. If my crop comes in as I HOPE? There shall be a FREE Watermelon Stand in Blue Mountain Beach. Stay Tuned...

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
If you want a good local melon, go to For The Health Of It in Blue Mountain Beach.

We get very few good ones here. The window of opportunity is sadly quite small. For a few months beginning in June, Publix starts getting them from Texas instead of Mexico. After about a month of Texas melons that are much like the tasteless Mexican ones, they are quite good for a couple of months. During these wonderful days, my diet is mostly made up of watermelon and tomatoes. But not eaten at the same time.

The Mexican watermelons in the off season are mostly as Shelly described, but every now and then I'll get a good one, which keeps me buying them when I know better.

All that we get here cost a lot to ship and are very expensive. I think the lowest they get is about $5.99 every now and then for a few days at a time during the peak. Mostly they are $8.99. I can usually look at the cut melon and by the color and texture tell whether I am going to get a decent one.

Maybe Kelley's in Freeport gets some local ones, or Cotton's. I would imagine there are a lot of them along I-10 and points north but the season is short.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
there is a special place in Heaven for folks such as you.....

Okay. My friend on 1087 did not plant melons this year. But I saw that my brother in law had a bunch at his bait shop. He probably grew them or got them from family in Westville. I have to come to sowal again tomorrow, ugh Embarq, and finish up a job. PM me an address or phone number that someone will answer and I will pick up a couple in the morning and get to you sometime tomorrow. They want me in Miramar at 9 and I have a lot to do before I can leave DFS.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
thanks for thinking about me, wrobert.....I'm a virgin at this posting stuff, and can't figure out how to PM....that said, I'm taking my Harley to Ft Walton in the morning for a "doctor's appointment", but will be back in SOWAL by 11ish. Call me at 974-5390, and I'll come to you! Luckily, my company is closed tomorrow, so I'm open!!

Thanks, in advance!!! (hey, can you get me a discount on my Embarq bill?--ha ha)

familyof3

Beach Lover
Mar 18, 2008
Arkansas
Maybe you could load up a truck and head this way, I bet there are those on the board who would find you a place to stay in exchange for one of those watermelons:D
It is still too early for our melons at least the really good ones. But it has been unseasonably hot this year so they might be ready early. I would be on the road in a minute for a few more nights in paradise. Well we have already made the 9 1/2 hour trip once so it might take me a couple minutes to get revving again.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Okay. My friend on 1087 did not plant melons this year. But I saw that my brother in law had a bunch at his bait shop. He probably grew them or got them from family in Westville. I have to come to sowal again tomorrow, ugh Embarq, and finish up a job. PM me an address or phone number that someone will answer and I will pick up a couple in the morning and get to you sometime tomorrow. They want me in Miramar at 9 and I have a lot to do before I can leave DFS.

A million thanks to you, wrobert, for bringing me the Mack Daddy of all watermelons! I rushed home, and cut it open, to find it had only 3/8" of rind, and a nice red, sweet, and JUICY interior. I've been letting it cool in the refrig since yesterday, awaiting what I knew would be the heat of today, so I could enjoy its wonderfulness as a respite from Mother Nature's temporary Global Warming. May your coffers always be full, your family happy and healthy, and your cow never run dry....

P.S. I'm all about making the drive to DFS for another one, or ten (over time, of course) for the enjoyment of me and mine. Where exactly is your brother's stand located, and how often is he there?

For The Health Of It

Beach Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
In recent weeks, I've (stupidly) bought 8 (count'em EIGHT) watermelons from various sources thus far this summer, and have had ONE :)() that was "good", one that was "edible", and 6 that I cut open and then heaved off my back deck into the woods.....

What's a person got to do to get a decent watermelon? Has global warming, combined with genetic alteration, strip farming, organic denegration, ozone depletion, and Obama in control, stolen from us the ability to produce and enjoy the near-forgotten "Georgia Cannonball", or the Northern Striped, black seed-filled, and sugar-ripe watermelons of old?

I'd give good money (and give up my first-born, sex, and religion) for a watermelon that was edible..... Any ideas?:dunno:

We have a wonderful batch of Sugar Baby Watermelons in right now. They are mighty tasty. Plus, we guarantee all of our produce. If it is not a good one, we will either get you another one or provide a refund. Make it a great 4th.

For The Health Of It
2217 West Scenic 30A
Blue Mountain Beach
For The Health Of It - Blue Mountain Beach Store

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
A million thanks to you, wrobert, for bringing me the Mack Daddy of all watermelons! I rushed home, and cut it open, to find it had only 3/8" of rind, and a nice red, sweet, and JUICY interior. I've been letting it cool in the refrig since yesterday, awaiting what I knew would be the heat of today, so I could enjoy its wonderfulness as a respite from Mother Nature's temporary Global Warming. May your coffers always be full, your family happy and healthy, and your cow never run dry....

P.S. I'm all about making the drive to DFS for another one, or ten (over time, of course) for the enjoyment of me and mine. Where exactly is your brother's stand located, and how often is he there?

Go up 331 to DeFuniak. Turn right on 90 then left at the next light, Hwy 83. About 2-3 miles on the left is his bait shop, down the hill from the Tom Thumb. I think he starts about 6AM. He has stacks of them and many, many more, coming out of Holmes County I believe. Hard to beat the price at 3.50 for a melon that size. Glad you enjoyed, mine is cooling for later today.