What I'd do for a good watermelon...

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by happy2Bme, Jul 1, 2009.

1. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

In recent weeks, I've (stupidly) bought 8 (count'em EIGHT) watermelons from various sources thus far this summer, and have had ONE :)() that was "good", one that was "edible", and 6 that I cut open and then heaved off my back deck into the woods.....

What's a person got to do to get a decent watermelon? Has global warming, combined with genetic alteration, strip farming, organic denegration, ozone depletion, and Obama in control, stolen from us the ability to produce and enjoy the near-forgotten "Georgia Cannonball", or the Northern Striped, black seed-filled, and sugar-ripe watermelons of old?

I'd give good money (and give up my first-born, sex, and religion) for a watermelon that was edible..... Any ideas?:dunno:

2. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Well, my grandfather always said they weren't good til the 4th of July, so if that's true, you've got two more days of the bad stuff. Hope you find a perfect one!! :wave:

3. Gidget

Gidget Beach Fanatic

Everytime I am at a produce stand some pour soul has to watch me thump and press and roll the watermelons over to look at their bellies - and then I always say to the other shopper, "You know what Ben Franklin said about melons?" and they look at me like I am crazy. Then I quote: "Men and melons are hard to know!" :cool: They usually just walk off. One day, I hope someone will say, "WHAT A GREAT QUOTE - that's SO true!" :D

My dh grows the BEST watermelons. Incredible texture and as sweet as cotton candy!

GOOD LUCK!!!

G

4. Sarah Moss

Sarah Moss Beach Lover

I'm trying to grow my own watermelons this year and thought I had a beauty when one ticked instead of thumped (or was it thumped instead of tickeed) but when I came in and cut it open it was a with a baby. Now my vines look sad, my melons are in the sand and I might just be following you to the grocery. So did anyone find a good source? What about those stands on the side of the road?

5. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

What I'd do for a good watermelon

my mom and dad just came up from Sarasota, and I had them searching for a "good watermelon" road-side along the way, without success. Seems that we've "genetically engineered" both seeds and taste out of our watermelons! I remember how, at the end of each school year, EVERYONE attended the last day of school for the sole reason that the school'd bring in truckloads of ice-cold black-seed-filled, honey-sweet watermelons to pass out to the graduating elementary school kids.....we'd eat until we'd either pee, or pop, or both..... I guess that, sometimes, "progress" doesn't necessarily mean that we're getting ahead.....

6. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Donnie Richardson use to grow and sell some fine ones up 1087 in Mossy Head. I will try to get up there over the next couple of days and see if he has a crop this year and let you know.

7. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

What I'd do for a good watermelon....

there is a special place in Heaven for folks such as you.....

8. SHELLY

SHELLY SoWal Insider

I know where you're coming from; I feel the same way about melons and HATE getting those dry, velvet-interior peaches (even though the smell and feel is right).

I haven't found one lately, but back in the "olden daze" when a farmer would set up his watermelon stand--I'd go up to him and tell him to pick me out the best melon. He'd take this as a personal challenge, and then would insist I plug the melon to prove it was good (cut a triangle out of the melon so you could taste the fruit)....100% of the time, the melon was a winner (I'm sure he'd pick out another if it wasn't to my liking).

They surely wouldn't let you plug the melon, but maybe you can track down the supermarket produce guy or fruit stand operator and have them pick one out for you--with your batting average so far, it really couldn't hurt.

9. familyof3

familyof3 Beach Lover

Well I'll be. I mostly just read and be jealous as you wonderful folks talk about your great time at paradise. I drool as you discuss turtles and tents. I then go look for a job close enough I might could move to. Then search for a condo I might could afford for 1 week. This happens daily usually more. Then I saw this watermelons thread and that I wish I could help you with. I live about 30 minutes from Hope Ar. Home of the largest watermelons in the world. Those things are delicious. No need to thump or roll. If you get it in Hope it is great. For what it is worth the Hope melons aren't ready yet.

10. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

Maybe you could load up a truck and head this way, I bet there are those on the board who would find you a place to stay in exchange for one of those watermelons:D

11. 30ABandMan

30ABandMan Beach Fanatic

We got a great melon recently from Publix. Seedless and Yummy...

12. rolling dune

rolling dune Beach Lover

Watermelons R Us

HaHa! I only HOPE. I planted...I watered...I Hope. Todays count was at least 32...We shall see. If my crop comes in as I HOPE? There shall be a FREE Watermelon Stand in Blue Mountain Beach. Stay Tuned...

13. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

If you want a good local melon, go to For The Health Of It in Blue Mountain Beach.

We get very few good ones here. The window of opportunity is sadly quite small. For a few months beginning in June, Publix starts getting them from Texas instead of Mexico. After about a month of Texas melons that are much like the tasteless Mexican ones, they are quite good for a couple of months. During these wonderful days, my diet is mostly made up of watermelon and tomatoes. But not eaten at the same time.

The Mexican watermelons in the off season are mostly as Shelly described, but every now and then I'll get a good one, which keeps me buying them when I know better.

All that we get here cost a lot to ship and are very expensive. I think the lowest they get is about $5.99 every now and then for a few days at a time during the peak. Mostly they are $8.99. I can usually look at the cut melon and by the color and texture tell whether I am going to get a decent one.

Maybe Kelley's in Freeport gets some local ones, or Cotton's. I would imagine there are a lot of them along I-10 and points north but the season is short.

14. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Okay. My friend on 1087 did not plant melons this year. But I saw that my brother in law had a bunch at his bait shop. He probably grew them or got them from family in Westville. I have to come to sowal again tomorrow, ugh Embarq, and finish up a job. PM me an address or phone number that someone will answer and I will pick up a couple in the morning and get to you sometime tomorrow. They want me in Miramar at 9 and I have a lot to do before I can leave DFS.

15. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

thanks for thinking about me, wrobert.....I'm a virgin at this posting stuff, and can't figure out how to PM....that said, I'm taking my Harley to Ft Walton in the morning for a "doctor's appointment", but will be back in SOWAL by 11ish. Call me at 974-5390, and I'll come to you! Luckily, my company is closed tomorrow, so I'm open!!

Thanks, in advance!!! (hey, can you get me a discount on my Embarq bill?--ha ha)

16. CiaoBella

CiaoBella Beach Lover

Gidget,

That is a great quote and it is soooooo true :) Keep saying it

17. familyof3

familyof3 Beach Lover

It is still too early for our melons at least the really good ones. But it has been unseasonably hot this year so they might be ready early. I would be on the road in a minute for a few more nights in paradise. Well we have already made the 9 1/2 hour trip once so it might take me a couple minutes to get revving again.

18. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

A million thanks to you, wrobert, for bringing me the Mack Daddy of all watermelons! I rushed home, and cut it open, to find it had only 3/8" of rind, and a nice red, sweet, and JUICY interior. I've been letting it cool in the refrig since yesterday, awaiting what I knew would be the heat of today, so I could enjoy its wonderfulness as a respite from Mother Nature's temporary Global Warming. May your coffers always be full, your family happy and healthy, and your cow never run dry....

P.S. I'm all about making the drive to DFS for another one, or ten (over time, of course) for the enjoyment of me and mine. Where exactly is your brother's stand located, and how often is he there?

19. For The Health Of It

For The Health Of It Beach Fanatic

We have a wonderful batch of Sugar Baby Watermelons in right now. They are mighty tasty. Plus, we guarantee all of our produce. If it is not a good one, we will either get you another one or provide a refund. Make it a great 4th.

For The Health Of It
    2217 West Scenic 30A
    Blue Mountain Beach
    For The Health Of It - Blue Mountain Beach Store

20. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

Go up 331 to DeFuniak. Turn right on 90 then left at the next light, Hwy 83. About 2-3 miles on the left is his bait shop, down the hill from the Tom Thumb. I think he starts about 6AM. He has stacks of them and many, many more, coming out of Holmes County I believe. Hard to beat the price at 3.50 for a melon that size. Glad you enjoyed, mine is cooling for later today.