• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Life expectancy of outdoor kitties in rural areas is short, but they live hearty, fun filled lives full of excitement!

I'm experimenting with two indoor cats after losing two to the coyotes in the area. They don't seem to mind being indoors and I'm sure they'll live much longer. (I sure do scoop a lot more poop though!)

I understand wanting the cat to be free, my mother's is the same way. But, it's probably only a matter of time, when neither comes home. Especially in our area, with the Coyotes and Fox!:eek: I guess you and your family have to ask yourself, are you more concerned with his being able to rendezvous, or, his safety? Good luck and my prayers, are with you AND Leo!

Did you mean that's it's only a matter of time until neither your mother nor your cat will come home?

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
Life expectancy of outdoor kitties in rural areas is short, but they live hearty, fun filled lives full of excitement!

I'm experimenting with two indoor cats after losing two to the coyotes in the area. They don't seem to mind being indoors and I'm sure they'll live much longer. (I sure do scoop a lot more poop though!)

That was the problem with Leo, he hated being indoors and there are 5 people living here coming in and out and we had to be on guard all the time trying not to let him out but you could not make 1 mistake or Leo would be out or if not, he would howl for hours on end till you had to let him out. For a while he would go out and always be back in the morning then he would be gone a couple of days then he went out one night and never came back.
We have looked and looked for him and I know of 3 others in the immediate area who also have missing cats.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
That was the problem with Leo, he hated being indoors and there are 5 people living here coming in and out and we had to be on guard all the time trying not to let him out but you could not make 1 mistake or Leo would be out or if not, he would howl for hours on end till you had to let him out. For a while he would go out and always be back in the morning then he would be gone a couple of days then he went out one night and never came back.
We have looked and looked for him and I know of 3 others in the immediate area who also have missing cats.

I wish you the best of luck in finding him. I've heard similar stories, neighbors who have lost cats and small dogs that were lost. I think the local population of preditors in the state parks is growing.

jack flash

Beach Lover
Feb 11, 2009
Pt. Washington
Cats are natural hunters, prowlers. Inside cats are healthier. My cats have successfully made the transition from outside/inside to inside only since moving down here in the woods with all the wild animals. They came and went for years while we lived in the city, but I am responsible for their safety, I know best. They are my babies and no longer are allowed to roam. They adjusted, occasionally want to go out, but tough love kicks in. They are my babes and I would be devastated w/o them. The woods are NOT safe for them.

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
I had not owned an animal for 25 years because I was too busy raising 4 children to have time to take care of one. This was my sons cat and I talked it over with him in great length when he got Leo but he still wound up leaving him with me anyway and I did the best I could to care for him and love him. This won't be happening again because I will not be getting another one, not that I got Leo, I just acquired him, but I still loved him and am sad that he is gone. He was a feral kitten and my son got him from Alaqua and that feral part of him never calmed down from day one.
There must be some reason there are so many missing cats in Daughettes but I have no idea why. My neighbors have 2 cats that they never let in the house, ever, and they are still around. 1 male and 1 female and my other neighbor just has a cat door and his cats roam in and out all the time, so it is not unusual for people around here to let their cats roam.
I hope others have better luck at finding their cats than I did and it definitely reminds me of why I chose to stay animal free.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I had not owned an animal for 25 years because I was too busy raising 4 children to have time to take care of one. This was my sons cat and I talked it over with him in great length when he got Leo but he still wound up leaving him with me anyway and I did the best I could to care for him and love him. This won't be happening again because I will not be getting another one, not that I got Leo, I just acquired him, but I still loved him and am sad that he is gone. He was a feral kitten and my son got him from Alaqua and that feral part of him never calmed down from day one.
There must be some reason there are so many missing cats in Daughettes but I have no idea why. My neighbors have 2 cats that they never let in the house, ever, and they are still around. 1 male and 1 female and my other neighbor just has a cat door and his cats roam in and out all the time, so it is not unusual for people around here to let their cats roam.
I hope others have better luck at finding their cats than I did and it definitely reminds me of why I chose to stay animal free.

If he was feral, then you had to let him out, you had no choice, but I've got 4 indoor cats. They are afraid to go outside, and they don't get bored.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Pretty much, if they've ever been outside, even as a kitten, cats want to go back outside. Also remember they are curious creatures, and the old saying about curiosity and cats.

NightAngel, I'm so, so sorry.

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Ha ha!

You knew what I meant, funny person!:lol: My mother's cat is inside a lot, especially with this heat!:eek: She lives in Mobile, not exactly coyote country! I wouldn't have a cat outside, in this area! That's, just me.
Did you mean that's it's only a matter of time until neither your mother nor your cat will come home?

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
Pretty much, if they've ever been outside, even as a kitten, cats want to go back outside. Also remember they are curious creatures, and the old saying about curiosity and cats.

NightAngel, I'm so, so sorry.

Thankyou. I do miss the little guy :sosad:. The thing is, he was small for his age, I think he was the runt of the litter.
I know it feels weird sometimes to call others by their online name so just so everyone knows, my name is Lisa, makes it seem a bit more personal :D