• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Asking you to put your ass on the line on a wager, and calling you an ass, are quite different to me. So by taking the high road, does that mean you wont' take the wager. If you don't like the yardstick options provided, then let's just measure it against the entire S&P 500.

There's no pricing action in the S&P...how about JOE vs. INTC?

And I'll not meet you for a cheap beer & Crocs, but how about a bet that will do some good....say $50 to the other's favorite charity?

Speaking of CROX--up 9% today...yikes!

Last edited:

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
There's no pricing action in the S&P...how about JOE vs. INTC?

And I'll not meet you for a cheap beer & Crocs, but how about a bet that will do some good....say $50 to the other's favorite charity?

Speaking of CROX--up 9% today...yikes!

I like your charity idea for a wager that will do good. I do not like betting against INTC. Cash Flow multiple represents real value on INTC, especially when the 10 year treasury note is trading at 38 X 2020 earnings (aka yield).

The bet really is about JOE, so i'd prefer to find some neutral barometer, against which to measure my original volley, that JOE is valuable. Like the S&P or the Dow Jones if you prefer. true there isn't much Pricing Action in those indexes, that's the point I think. If you'd prefer a real estate sub-index or ETF, like IYR for instance, I'd go for that too instead of S&P.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I like your charity idea for a wager that will do good. I do not like betting against INTC. Cash Flow multiple represents real value on INTC, especially when the 10 year treasury note is trading at 38 X 2020 earnings (aka yield).

The bet really is about JOE, so i'd prefer to find some neutral barometer, against which to measure my original volley, that JOE is valuable. Like the S&P or the Dow Jones if you prefer. true there isn't much Pricing Action in those indexes, that's the point I think. If you'd prefer a real estate sub-index or ETF, like IYR for instance, I'd go for that too instead of S&P.

Of course INTC has value--I put that up against the recommendation of JOE in the beginning. I'm neither a speculator, nor an investulator.

I'll take my money, and my ass, off the line then.

Thanks for playing the home game.

Last edited:

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Shelly upgrades JOE ??

Now don't get me wrong, it appears Shelly is still not afraid to utter that JOE is screwed, but at the same time, is unwilling to now say/bet that JOE will fare worse than the average stock in the S&P 500 or the DOW.

In wall street talk, Shelly just raised JOE to an "Outperformer" Too bad analyst ratings changes are typically wrong... I think this one is a timely upgrade - reminds me of Meredith Whitney's downgrade/dividend cut call on Citigroup.

UPGRADE baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Shelly upgrades JOE ??

Now don't get me wrong, it appears Shelly is still not afraid to utter that JOE is screwed, but at the same time, is unwilling to now say/bet that JOE will fare worse than the average stock in the S&P 500 or the DOW.

In wall street talk, Shelly just raised JOE to an "Outperformer" Too bad analyst ratings changes are typically wrong... I think this one is a timely upgrade - reminds me of Meredith Whitney's downgrade/dividend cut call on Citigroup.

UPGRADE baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...are you off your meds again Bob?

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
...are you off your meds again Bob?

I knew the logical deduction above, about you 'upgrading' JOE, would get your little ascerbic mind in insult mode (ala off your meds), instead of dealing with the argument mode.

Thanks for playing, I'll go talk to some adults about this upgrade now.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Fantasy Portfolio Results (as of market close Nov 26):

STOCK/VALUE/GAIN-LOSS

INTC/$2,035.28/+1.76%

SPY/$1,943.40/-2.83%

JOE/$1,710.46/-14.48%

($2,000 put in each stock effective on market close Nov 4th)

WARNING: Kids, don't try this at home!!!

Last edited:

homeboy

Beach Lover
Jan 2, 2010
back in 2006 I suggested to folks to short JOE, if they couldn't sell there home in South Walton, as a proxy for doing the same. I think the pendulum has swung ridiculously far to the negative side, and that the Short Joe trade is cooked, done. I think it's time to buy JOE, and lock the shares away for 50 years.

good luck to all.

Most of JOE's holdings are worthless swampland (think of Rivercamps that is a total bust), not prime beachfront like Watersound or Watercolor. Not worth $5 bucks a share.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Most of JOE's holdings are worthless swampland (think of Rivercamps that is a total bust), not prime beachfront like Watersound or Watercolor. Not worth $5 bucks a share.[/QUOTE

homeboy, sounds like you've done a deep dive analysis on this on a per share/per acre basis. could you please share any details of that analysis... your thoughts on JOE's balance sheet, and on some comparable price per acre sales of acreages bth near the beach, near swamp or pine forest??