• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
The county commissioners are going discuss the "issuing authority" for the beach driving permits at their next meeting on Feb. 22. (Who will be issuing the permits, I would think.) According to the agenda, there will also be a request to reschedule the "Certificate of Land Use Compliance" ordinance for March 22. This is the ordinance related to what are called the "wedding houses": http://www.co.walton.fl.us/archives/47/February 22 2011r1 w links.pdf

Chuckster

Beach Comber
Sep 20, 2007
The county commissioners are going discuss the "issuing authority" for the beach driving permits at their next meeting on Feb. 22. (Who will be issuing the permits, I would think.) According to the agenda, there will also be a request to reschedule the "Certificate of Land Use Compliance" ordinance for March 22. This is the ordinance related to what are called the "wedding houses": http://www.co.walton.fl.us/archives/47/February 22 2011r1 w links.pdf

Nothing personal against Cory, but the recent spike in the cost of my tags has re-inforced my attitude that the tax collecting business is a racket to fill the pockets of unproductive consumers at the expense of productive producers! As evidence, I point to the Tax collector scandal last year in Okaloosa county. Please read the part about the yearly bonus plan....some got 25k, some 15k and some only got a miniscul 5k! Seems a little excessive to me! Conventions at Orlando and the San Destin Hilton! Where did this money come from? I believe the previous posts detail the source. (the taxpayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :dunno:
ok, I'll step down off my soapbox....just makes me mad!:lolabove:

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Just to be clear, I am puzzled that the previous poster quoted my post, which was only about items comng up at the next county commission meeting and the agenda, not about any allegations of wrongdoing by anyone. He does have a right to his opinion.

Last edited:

Morning Glory

Beach Comber
Nov 8, 2010
Driving on the Beach

Thank you for smartening me. My apologies to the tax collector if I offended. I thought the position was COUNTY tax collector. It's still confusing if personnel are paid by the county but directed by the state. I guess that's bureaucracy.

What are DL functions?

The tax collector office is county and the employees are public servants whose goal should be to do whatever is necessary to serve. There are state statues that govern the office but the money comes from the taxpoayers.

Morning Glory

Beach Comber
Nov 8, 2010
Driving on the Beach

Thank you for smartening me. My apologies to the tax collector if I offended. I thought the position was COUNTY tax collector. It's still confusing if personnel are paid by the county but directed by the state. I guess that's bureaucracy.

What are DL functions?

The tax collector office is county and the employees are public servants whose goal should be to do whatever is necessary to serve. There are state statues that govern the office but the money comes from the taxpoayers. oops, taxpayers

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't know exactly what is going on - the tax collector's office has always seemed to work pretty well and has been helpful whenever I asked them anything. :dunno:

Just want to be able to have a permit the next year too, if I win the lottery and get a beach 4x4.

(Which has a tiny chance of happening in the next couple years as Mama Scooterbug is trying to talk Papa Scooterbug into letting me have his old truck when he gets a new one.)

Chief Deputy TC

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2005
The tax collector office is county and the employees are public servants whose goal should be to do whatever is necessary to serve. There are state statues that govern the office but the money comes from the taxpoayers.

Tax Collectors are independent constitutional officers duly elected from their counties of residence by their fellow citizens and taxpayers. It is this independence, coupled with the fact that Tax Collectors deal with a variety of duties and responsibilities and provide a myriad of important public services, that allow them to exercise valuable leadership roles in Florida's government.

The elected county office of Tax Collector in Florida was established in the 1885 State Constitution based on the idea that local taxes could best be collected at the local level. By being an elected office, it was determined that the Tax Collector would be more responsible to the needs of the community from which she was elected.

As to doing whatever is necessary: When the transaction type in question is not required to be performed by our office then the decisions we make are filtered through a results and outcomes analysis to make sure the return is going to significantly outweigh the investment of your tax dollars. We realize open government is important to our taxpayers and citizens. They want to know how their tax dollars are being spent and being maximized. We operate the office as a business and seek to gain the maximum return for the citizens of Walton County on the resources and revenues we manage. Based on this logic, I think we did do "whatever it takes" to serve the taxpayers and did not enter into this decison lightly.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
Charter Boats-they are a business- launch the boat and park your truck. Just like everyone else who doesn't have a permit. At least they are not driving up and down the beach. SOWal, needs to be more friendly to part time residents and visitors or they will GO some place else. And let's not forget we already have 1 strike against us the BP Spill.

Our county has so many beaches that have parking, beach walk overs, and barhrooms...all are free for our visitors and for those that rent. We have one small beach, less than 900 feet that resides in a small community that allows driving on the beach. I do not believe that our county needs to offer permits to these people...it should be ONLY for local property owners of Walton.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010

Perhaps instead of pointing a finger at Skipper's office ...you should ask your County Commissioners why they didn't consider all of the feedback they got from her office and those that attended the many county Commissioner's Meetings on this beach draft...and how they listened to one Board member who expressed his opinion and then all the others changed their minds right there on the spot after the term registered voters had been removed by the committee...I think registered voters ...mean a little more to them than property owners that might own property but live out of state, Just an opinion.