• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
While I appreciate the open dialogue and expression of opinions on local politics, I would like to ask one favor. If you have information you would like to share with the Herald/Breeze, PLEASE, feel free to stop by our office or even drop it in the mail. This is the much preferred method of gathering submitted information on our part, rather than our reporters finding packages stuffed under their cars while out doing their private errands (which is happening in this race). When information is brought to us upfront (without agendas), it tends to be taken a little more seriously, not to mention, it doesn't make our reporters feel like they're being followed or watched. Thanks-AL

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Well said Mrs. Ragle, and from the school system employess I've spoken with, you are on target with you comments. I was shocked when I found out Carlene Anderson had created a new position just to perform part of the duties you where already performing. Furthermore, the person she hired is suspect from all the things I have read about him and Survivor Charter School. I read the post containing a letter from his attorney on another forum. Mr. Stafford and his attorney apparently don't know his entire case history with Survivor is all public information and available on the internet. It's easy to see, at minimum, he utilized poor judgement and exhibited a lack of integrity. For Carlene Anderson to promote him to a supervisory position exhibits poor judgement on her part as well as wasting tax payer dollars for overstaffing in the district office. I encourage everyone to look at the available information available on line. Best of luck in your endeavor, it's time for a change with all of Walton County's elected officials.

Is the Mr. Stafford in this discussion the same individual who contributed $500 to Mrs. Anderson's campaign? Job security I suppose.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
This post thread is a perfect example of why the superintendent should be appointed based upon qualifications and experience -- not mudslinging and rumors. While the superintendent is running for re-election, who is running the school system? Our graduation rates are pathetic. Our reading comprehension in high school is ridiculous. Our children are not National Merit Finalists. They are not being actively recruited by top universities. Those, among other factors are how we should be viewing the quality of our schools, not some "A" rating. If we get "A" rating compared to violent schools in the inner city, but our kids can't get into a top level college (no offense NWF, then what have we accomplished?

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
You are absolutely right WaltonParent, the supintendent should not be a political position. Mrs. Ragle has also publicly stated she believes the superintendent should be an appointed position. It is my understanding, that if elected, she will not seek a second term. This could be an excellent opportunity for the citizens of this county to change the system, with the superintendents help and support. I truly believe she is committed to improving Walton County Schools and does not have a future political agenda.

Last edited:

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
From everything I've read here and from talking with other parents and teachers, we do need a change. It sounds like cronyism isn't confined to the county commission. Some of my friends tell me that their children are going into the second grade and can't read!

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
My child is in the second grade and can read. He could read when he got to Butler because we lived out of state for his preschool and kindergarten years. I have been patient with the math assignments so far, but honestly, his kindergarten work was more challenging than what he is doing now. Last year, he made straight A's...never lower than an average of 98, and never did more than 10 minutes a WEEK in preparation. I have to ask...is our school system helping him live up to his full potential academically? Sadly, no. But the school system loves kids like mine because teachers do not have to invest any effort in them, and they boost the overall test scores on FCATs. These are also the scores that Ms. Anderson uses to get reelected. If there was a way to give her a grade for how the system helps each child acheive his or her true potential, I am afraid she would have to repeat a grade or two.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
From everything I've read here and from talking with other parents and teachers, we do need a change. It sounds like cronyism isn't confined to the county commission. Some of my friends tell me that their children are going into the second grade and can't read!

I think it is important to remember that the majority of the kids going into second grade CAN read, and like schools everywhere, there are kids, for a variety of reasons (school, parents, the kids themselves) who move through the grade levels under performing. It is sad, but it happens, and not just here. Watch the broad brush- I can't speak for NoWal, but there are many good things happening in the South Walton schools.

I remember when our 19 year old was in elementary school, and the school issues a challenge to the parents- What are YOU doing to enhance/enrich/support your child's school, education, and community? I never forgot it.