• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I am as appalled as ever at politics (local, state & federal) and its terrible impact on the education of children. Why should any professional educator/leader of a school district need to run a political campaign and be elected? The whole system needs scrapping, starting with FCAT.

Education is too important to be run by politicians.

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
And I have a question, 30ARosie. Did she also hire him or did Carlene Anderson? Your obvious distaste for Ms. Ragle is quite apparent.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I am as appalled as ever at politics (local, state & federal) and its terrible impact on the education of children. Why should any professional educator/leader of a school district need to run a political campaign and be elected? The whole system needs scrapping, starting with FCAT.

Indeed, we all should be apalled at the system in which we educate our children and the effect that politics has on running our schools. Perhaps that's why elected superintendents are the exception rather than the rule except in the 3 states that even allow elected superintendents. The school board is elected and for some reason they don't seem to do anything. The school board should be called the rubber stamp board aka 'the gutless wonders'. I lived in an area where the superintendent was hired by the school board. He was an excellent educator and administrator and wasn't sidetracked by having to run for office. Fewer than 1% of the school superintendents in the US are elected. And the standards by which our schools are rated are junk too IMO. Florida schools don't rank very high anyway and being at the top of the bottom of the barrel is nothing to brag about. We had better schools when the property values were high and Walton Schools had money to recruit the best most experienced teachers. Now we're cutting costs by getting rid of all the experienced teachers who don't enjoy tenure. Walton County painted itself into a corner by paying the best teachers more than neighboring counties and now the money isn't there to do that. The current regime seems to be playing games with stats and making decisions that fall within an envelope of legality without regard the best interest of children and young adults. We can and should do better.

beachbums77

Beach Comber
Jun 21, 2012
You are correct 30ARosie I also hear that Ragle hired Stafford as a School Psycholigist after the only other applicant refused the job. And now... the rest of the story....I also hear that she wanted to let him go and Ragle's supervisor, K. Dailey, stepped in and wouldn't let her. Dailey assigned him to work under another supervisor.

Thrilling

Beach Comber
Aug 24, 2012
You are correct 30ARosie I also hear that Ragle hired Stafford as a School Psycholigist after the only other applicant refused the job. And now... the rest of the story....I also hear that she wanted to let him go and Ragle's supervisor, K. Dailey, stepped in and wouldn't let her. Dailey assigned him to work under another supervisor.

That's interesting because I have never had anything but positive interactions with Mr.Stafford & have been very impressed by the way he supports students, teachers and schools. Guess it depends on who you listen to & what their agenda is, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosemary Ragle

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
RIGHT NOW for the RIGHT REASONS

You are absolutely right! The initiative to change the status of superintendent in Walton County should begin now. Your superintendent should not be an elected official.

Rosemary Ragle

Rosemary Ragle

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
It is he who does not learn from mistakes, you should hold with disdain.

Rosie:

General procedure for hiring personnel is a matter of checks and balances and, yes, references provided by a candidate for employment are checked. An interview is also conducted during which time the candidate for hire may disclose information related to his/her qualifications for the position.

Any recommendation to hire, together with pertinent documentation, is forwarded to the immediate supervisor for approval which, if approved, proceeds to the personnel director and then to the superintendent and finally to the school board. The superintendent makes her recommendation to the board and parliamentary procedure continues.

Decisions related to a new employee are usually left with his/her immediate supervisor; and, usually, it is the immediate supervisor who evaluates performance and makes the recommendation to rehire or not. I realize that I do not need to explain this to you, but readers unfamiliar with these procedures may appreciate my reply.

As you know, I will not discuss individual personnel matters with the general public out of respect for the employee’s confidentiality. Further, I agree with other forum members that your motives are focused on me, personally.

You will need to create a new pseudonym. I will not address any of your further comments. Will the real 30ARosie please stand up?

Rosemary Ragle

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Sorry for the typos in the previous post...... I forgot to address the Stellablue1 comment. Your accusations of someone having an agenda about Mr. Stafford are based on your opinion. Just because other people have a different view than you about Mr. Stafford does not mean they have an agenda. I've never met the guy, but all of the "FACTUAL" information I've read about him makes me question his integrity and honesty. For Mrs. Anderson to create an un-needed supervisory postion for him is poor management.