• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tutic1971

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2012
I am glad you choose on a daily basis an activity like biking to stay healthy and active. I choose other activities, so I am not aware of or concerned about the laws or your rights when it comes to riding your bike on the narrow road that is 30A.

I am, however, concerned about your safety and the safety of my family and everyone else who enjoys 30a. On a daily basis, I have to choose to put many lives at risk when I go around you on a narrow road with poor visibility because you have chosen to ride in the street instead of the beautiful bike path that is provided to you.

I am a kind and gentle person and would be deeply affected if I hit you or cause a wreck that kills my children or someone else because you choose to ride in the narrow road that is 30a instead of the beautiful bike path that is provided to you. It is dangerous all the time, but especially dangerous during the high season.

Could you please work with me and other drivers? I would really appreciate it. Sometimes I need to drive on 30a to get somewhere. I will do my part and use it only when necessary, though. Could you please do your part, make a good choice and use the beautiful bike path that is provided to you? Or find another road with a shoulder, or a nature bike path. If we both do our part, the lives of everyone traveling along the beautiful road that is 30a will be made much safer.

Thanks So Much and Happy Riding!!!!

tutic1971

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2012
I am glad you choose on a daily basis an activity like biking to stay healthy and active. I choose other activities, so I am not aware of or concerned about the laws or your rights when it comes to riding your bike on the narrow road that is 30A.

I am, however, concerned about your safety and the safety of my family and everyone else who enjoys 30a. On a daily basis, I have to choose to put many lives at risk when I go around you on a narrow road with poor visibility because you have chosen to ride in the street instead of the beautiful bike path that is provided to you.

I am a kind and gentle person and would be deeply affected if I hit you or cause a wreck that kills my children or someone else because you choose to ride in the narrow road that is 30a instead of the beautiful bike path that is provided to you. It is dangerous all the time, but especially dangerous during the high season.

Could you please work with me and other drivers? I would really appreciate it. Sometimes I need to drive on 30a to get somewhere. I will do my part and use it only when necessary, though. Could you please do your part, make a good choice and use the beautiful bike path that is provided to you? Or find another road with a shoulder, or a nature bike path. If we both do our part, the lives of everyone traveling along the beautiful road that is 30a will be made much safer.

Thanks So Much and Happy Riding!!!!

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
... On a daily basis, I have to choose to put many lives at risk when I go around you on a narrow road with poor visibility ...

There is no reason you should be putting anyone's health and well being at risk for what might at most be a 30 second delay until you could safely pass. Do the math.

I commute regularly by bicycle through New York City. Despite the lunatic motorists, clueless pedestrians, aggressive cyclists (now including electric bikes doing in excess of 30 MPH on bike paths) and off the wall skateboarders we all seem to co-exist.

I mean this sincerely, if you believe you cannot safely negotiate passing a cyclist on 30A, I question whether you should be operating a motor vehicle period.

seafun

Beach Comber
Interesting post. I am an avid walker (with my golden retriever) on the 30a path between the Tom Thumb and Watersound. We negotiate through the runners and casual bikers carefully and we all seem to peacefully coexist. This can be a challenge in the stretches where the path and road are joined; no grass separating the two. The cyclists you are referring to are not only using different equipment (high performance bikes) but also traveling at speeds not possible (or safe) on the paths. Many of them cycle in the early morning hours, which is great, but moving them to the paths is a bad option. They stay as far to the right as possible on 30a and seem to obey all moving vehicle laws.

The only solution I can suggest is to slow the traffic down in the stretches where everyone routinely runs @ 45 mph +......good luck with that plan.

Last edited:

HealthyBeachGirl

Beach Crab
Jul 12, 2013
And I'm sorry to say - but it is unsafe for us on the bike path as well. I don't think visitors would appreciate cyclists going 25+mph on the bike path buzzing by when they are getting in their morning walks or scooting along with their children to pick up breakfast for their family.

We go very early in the morning and respect the drivers. We wear brightly colored kits and lights so we are seen. As stated above, just sit back, wait a few seconds until it's safe to go around us. 30 seconds is not a long time to wait to avoid hitting us. We are not out there to make the drivers mad, but to get our workouts in before we have to go to work (yes, I am a local). Plus we do have a right to be on the road and to follow the rules, just as the drivers do.

cgrovetriguy

Beach Crab
Jul 12, 2013
Being a native NW FL guy and a three decade user of 30-A -- back way before the multi-use path even existed -- I would guess I've been using this road longer than you have been SoWal Spouter. And I'd probably guess you are driving a larger SUV and NEVER exercise much which adds to your higher BMI.
Since I've lived and used 30-A much longer than you -- I've got an idea? Move back to your hometown and let all the original SoWal folks who have used 30-A longer have their road back minus your "uneducated FL rules of the road attitude." Problem solved.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
Bikers who are using 30 A on road bikes (the different equipment referred to in an earlier post) would be more of a safety hazard on the bike path--both to the path users and more importantly to themselves because of dirt, sand, etc on the path.
I live in Seagrove and have a great respect for the bikers on 30 A and slow down for them. Why does everybody who comes to visit here have to be in such a big hurry? For pete's sake, it's the beach!!

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Seems to me that alot of newcomers didnt read up on FL road rules when they arrived. Like the one about waiting until it is safe to get in the opposite lane to pass an obstacle or slower moving vehicle that is in YOUR lane. It DOES NOT read.. "jump in the other lane without even slowing down and force oncoming traffic to slam on their brakes and make a quick right turn while still avoiding everyone in the bike path".

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Another cyclist thread right on schedule...

:doh:

The path is not condusive to road bikes travelling at 25mph on tires no wider than your thumb pumped up to 125psi. Per the law, bikes are entitled to the road just as cars.
Just go around them...it ain't hard!

And, yes...being a cyclist, I do have a problem with other Tour de France wannabes ignoring stop signs and signals. Being on a bike doesn't give you pass. Obey the traffic laws!

tutic1971

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2012
I routinely have to navigate cyclists at times other than the early morning hours. And trust me, the delay is much longer than 30 seconds.

It is dangerous for you and everyone else who enjoys 30a when you choose to bike at anytime in the road. It is especially dangerous in the high season when there are tons of people crossing at the crosswalks and drivers are charged with trying to go around the bikers and watch the crosswalks and watch the cars coming in the opposite direction.

There is nothing in my post that is mean-spirited and the intention of this forum is for people to provide constructive feedback. If you are inclined to make personal attacks or be unkind, please keep your comments to yourself. Perhaps you should take a bike ride and cool off. Just do it on the beautiful bike path that is provided for you or find another road that is safer and allows you to bike at the pace you desire. It is not safe to bike on the narrow road that is 30a.