• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Gang lets all get real here - The current laws on the books, whether LSV's, Dogs on the beaches, Tourists swimming under double red flags or WHATEVER!! are not enforced today period end of story!!! As long as Walton County is fed and engaged by the mighty tourists dollars, nothing will change. It will take a significant disaster to get our laws enforced or get a change in strategic direction by our elected officials! Walton County will ban no vehicle or enforce any law when in comes to tourism unless something catastrophic occurs!

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Truer words never spoken. I think it's past time that we turn that around and we are just now starting to hear the term "Quality of Life" and that refers to the locals that have to put up with it daily and now it seems to be year round!!! Other beach communities around the country have clamped down and I think now it's our turn but we are so far behind the times!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
So I just finished watching this netflix new age streaming video called "The Secret." It basically says that what you believe, you are, or you realize.

I believe that south Walton is an incredible beautiful, extremely precious resource that can and must be protected. I believe the quality of life it offers is one of the things that makes it beautiful. I believe tourists are not the enemy. I believe almost all tourists would agree with positive changes that improve the quality of life not only for residents, but for tourists alike. Rather than pushing tourists away, quality of life improvements will make south Walton even more desireable. And I also believe since locals have votes and tourists don't, the locals are the ones that have the most power to effect south Walton's future.

Things can change and they can be changed for the better. Not so long ago locals saw the writing on the wall for highrises in south Walton and got some ordinances enacted that produced a completely different future for south Walton than Panama City or Destin. I believe they can do it again.

ktape

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2007
Part of the problem is the attitude of the people with LSV's. Operating with the belief that an electric vehicle with a TOP speed of 26 miles per hour is adequate is both selfish and dangerous. For the most part the speed limit on 30a is either 35 or 45 mph. Holding up people that have work to do, so you can travel too slowly in your LSV, that most people who live and work here could not afford, is in my view Very Very inconsiderate. Further, these vehicles are not supposed to operate in speed zones over 35 mph.

But, I do agree that since current laws are not enforced, extra laws will be a waste of time. The Sheriff's departments position that they don't have enough resources is in my view bogus. The volunteer sheriff's deputies could be assigned this task.

The best thing to do before this problem becomes monumental is to pass a Walton County ordinance that outlaws LSV's on 30a. If you can't get where you are going on neighborhood streets with your LSV take your Lexus instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Part of the problem is the attitude of the people with LSV's. Operating with the belief that an electric vehicle with a TOP speed of 26 miles per hour is adequate is both selfish and dangerous. For the most part the speed limit on 30a is either 35 or 45 mph. Holding up people that have work to do, so you can travel too slowly in your LSV, that most people who live and work here could not afford, is in my view Very Very inconsiderate. Further, these vehicles are not supposed to operate in speed zones over 35 mph.

But, I do agree that since current laws are not enforced, extra laws will be a waste of time. The Sheriff's departments position that they don't have enough resources is in my view bogus. The volunteer sheriff's deputies could be assigned this task.

The best thing to do before this problem becomes monumental is to pass a Walton County ordinance that outlaws LSV's on 30a. If you can't get where you are going on neighborhood streets with your LSV take your Lexus instead.

Yeah... I pretty much agree.

I think the problem... THE REAL PROBLEM... is that people want LSVs, for a number of reasons - all of which are not at their core justifiable considering these communities have thrived without them. People have found a very creative way of defending their use/ownership/rental/sales/leasing/etc.

Watercolor and Seaside have strict golf cart rules. Watercolor and Seaside aren't in bubbles. What happens here has happened in other communities. I have heard this from professionals who have dealt with the issue elsewhere.

A community bans golf carts on the road. So, an enterprising organization or individual slaps rear view mirrors and seat belts onto an EZGO. Voila... It's not a golf cart. It's just a really slow electric car.

That's all fine and well until you take the thing onto 45 mph roads, which is illegal in FL.

or

You exceed parking requirements in a master-planned new-urban community that was designed for bicycles (WHICH IS NOT COOL) because you came in 3 cars and rented 2 golf carts.

or

You let your children drive... which is where a lot of us have experienced the excuse, "It's just a golf cart." Which would be ok, if the vehicle wasn't enjoying a golf cart loophole by calling itself a very slow electric car.

or

You drive around with obvious containers of alcoholic beverages open and being consumed. (See above about kids driving.)

also

Most golf carts are too slow. Some golf carts are too fast. These suped up carts end up on joy rides more often than the ones that aren't suped up. It's funny to see them tear around a corner going 43mph in a golf cart. It won't be funny when someone dies.

Last edited:

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Florida Statute on Low Speed Vehicles:
316.2122 Operation of a low-speed vehicle or mini truck on certain roadways.—The operation of a low-speed vehicle as defined in s. 320.01(42) or a mini truck as defined in s. 320.01(45) on any road is authorized with the following restrictions:
(1) A low-speed vehicle or mini truck may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle or mini truck from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
(2) A low-speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, taillamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, seat belts, and vehicle identification numbers.
(3) A low-speed vehicle or mini truck must be registered and insured in accordance with s. 320.02 and titled pursuant to chapter 319.
(4) Any person operating a low-speed vehicle or mini truck must have in his or her possession a valid driver’s license.
(5) A county or municipality may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if the governing body of the county or municipality determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
(6) The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles or mini trucks on any road under its jurisdiction if it determines that such prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
History.—s. 1, ch. 99-163; s. 5, ch. 2009-183; s. 85, ch. 2012-174.