• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
In defense of people in bham, nothing was forecast for them; everything was supposed to be south of bham. The weather forecasters missed it big time. When it started & roads became hazardous, schools & offices closed immediately, but too late.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Walton County Extreme Weather Update

Due to the current winter storm, the following conditions exist:

1. State Road 83 (U.S. 331), Choctawhatchee Bay Bridge/Clyde B. Wells Bridge closed to all traffic.

1. All roads from I-10 to the Alabama state line are closed. Only people who have emergencies will be allowed to travel.

1. Travel has been suspended north of I-10.

1. FHP has closed I-10 from mile marker 112 to Pensacola.

Walton County Public Works crews and DOT crews will continue to monitor the roads and will begin work on clearing and opening roads when possible.

All travel should be suspended until conditions improve. Only emergency vehicles should be on the road. Should you have an emergency, please call 911.

At your service,

Louis E. Svehla
Public Information Manager
Walton Board of County Commissioners
76 North 6th Street
DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435
Phone: 850-951-7101
Cell: 850-333-6404

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
In Louisville people scream when schools close (usually people who moved here from the north) and others yell when they don't. 2 hour delays are a good compromise especially with wind chills below zero.
I don't know how you can really forecast bad weather. Across the river in IN, it can snow 6" and 1/2" in downtown Louisville. They can alert us to conditions that could result in bad weather. They've gotten really good about tornado forecasting. May not hit us - thank goodness - but can save people 60 miles away.
Also, don't wear light workout clothes to run errands in and/or go to gyms. You could be in a wreck or behind a wreck and stuck in cold weather in shorts.
Ice is so bad. No city anywhere can do anything about it nor can you drive in. Heck, you can't even walk on it.
Hopefully your warm sunny days will return soon. My cousin is heading down from Vermont. Ellen

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Windchill in Ann Arbor, Michigan, was about 30 below yesterday, and the University of Michigan cancelled classes for the first time since January 1978. I didn't have to teach anyway, but it's nice to know that students didn't have to go out and get frostbite. Fortunately, there have been no crises or casualties around here as a result of this cold snap as far as I've heard. Both of the neighbor's new cars won't start, but my 2001 Honda Odyssey van started right up yesterday so they're borrowing my van. I love that old van and never want to sell it, especially since it's making it through this cold snap just fine.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
In defense of people in bham, nothing was forecast for them; everything was supposed to be south of bham. The weather forecasters missed it big time. When it started & roads became hazardous, schools & offices closed immediately, but too late.

That's what many are saying but dang, I saw the maps and Bham was slap in the middle of the zone two days ago. Ice was a certainty! when you have that kind of traffic, roads, highways, and so many children and families and businesses involved (in atlanta and bham) it just seems like every precaution would be imperative. The hills in Bham are enough to do anybody in, even with the tiniest bit of ice.

Thank you Walton County for taking precautions and declaring emergency, closing schools, etc... even though we were very uncertain about what kind of impact would happen here. We don't rely on meteorologists but everyone in the big cities do for some reason.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Windchill in Ann Arbor, Michigan, was about 30 below yesterday, and the University of Michigan cancelled classes for the first time since January 1978. I didn't have to teach anyway, but it's nice to know that students didn't have to go out and get frostbite. Fortunately, there have been no crises or casualties around here as a result of this cold snap as far as I've heard. Both of the neighbor's new cars won't start, but my 2001 Honda Odyssey van started right up yesterday so they're borrowing my van. I love that old van and never want to sell it, especially since it's making it through this cold snap just fine.

stay warm and safe up there! don't know how y'all do it!

We haven't had classes yesterday or today. The Sheriff ordered everyone to stay off the streets. In Atlanta there are still kids stuck in school buses, adults and 18 wheelers stranded in their cars, and other vehicles just totally abandoned on the interstates.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Blaine just received call from Eglin- nonessentials don't come back until noon tomorrow.

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
I've been watching bham forecasts since the storm was announced & never saw bham involved (Atlanta, yes) as we have a house in bham as well as family & friends. I only use accuweather & weather channel aps so may have missed it. The funny thing is my friends in bham have been texting all week making sure I was prepared.