• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I posted this originally on the CFO thread.... One step at a time...... And it starts with YES voting to start hiring the superintendent. Which made me think of yet ANOTHER reason to have the superintendent hired instead of elected- if hired, the board and superintendent are essentially on the same "team". As a parent of a child in school, I want the "boss " focused on the schools and education, and everyone be team players. The current system is anything but a team- this isn't the US government, we don't need checks and balances, which has become a negative in the school situation. We need to have a NORMAL system, where the educational leader is hired based on qualifications. The superintendent of a school system should NOT be a politician- especially in a place like Walton County, where a very vocal minority makes any campaign a nightmare and surely will keep any sane qualified person from running for school superintendent (it has, along with great people who would have been great commissioners and school board members). Look no further than the arguments made by the opposition to this referendum, and attacks on candidates in other races. I want my teachers' boss to be doing the job he /she was hired to do, not having to spend time on fending off political blows during election campaigns AND during the term. The current system is a time and energy suck for any person in that position. My kid deserves better.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I still cannot understand why the school superintendent is elected in the first place- it is completely illogical, especially in a capitalist economy. We don't elect other positions that "work" for us (county administrator, fire chief, county attorney, etc., although I guess it is also weird we elect the sheriff). The people who actually make policy should be elected by the people - commissioners, school board, fire board, mosquito control. There is no right to vote being lost- this is the biggest ruse of all. Wake up Walton County and let's jump start some real progress and change. The opposition arguments against the referendum highlight every reason to vote YES and crawl out of the reasoning and political and cultural status quo that has held this county back for too long. With the population increase, especially in South County, and the explosive growth in the school system, we have outgrown the current model. Of course, if this referendum gets voted down, it is highly unlikely that the opposition will come up with any real solutions to adjust to the real needs of the students and teachers, and it will be back to same old same old. The students and Walton Countians deserve better than that!!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Let us all hope that good ol' common sense prevails in the upcoming election. "NO" supporters, I'm still waiting, and thanks for tearing my "YES" sign down. It shows that lack of common sense I mentioned earlier.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Let us all hope that good ol' common sense prevails in the upcoming election. "NO" supporters, I'm still waiting, and thanks for tearing my "YES" sign down. It shows that lack of common sense I mentioned earlier.

That stinks Andy. I'm sure as a US veteran, that makes you angry, since the opposition keeps making this issue about you giving your service to the country so we could vote for an employee of the school system instead of hire one.

Also not the lesson to teach our kids. Sad that an education referendum has brought out the worst in some people. On a positive note, the YES side has united a very large group of people that, after the election is over, will certainly be looking at the way this county does politics and business!

Independent Thinker

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
I've noticed several YES signs missing, I found particularly interesting the ones on J.D. Miller road were gone after the county mowed the right of way on each side of the road. Other signs were still standing, including the NO signs, but the YES signs were gone. People who go around removing signs because they disagree with a particular issue or candidate, are pathetic, ignorant people. Hopefully there are enough people that are smart enough to see thru the smoke and mirrors B.S. of the NO side. The losing your right to vote crap doesn't cut it, especially if you've ever lived anywhere besides Walton County, and know what a well run school system looks like.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The truly awful anonymously mailed hit piece on Sharon Roberts in the old mailbox today is case in point why we will NOT have a true cohort of able people opting to run for superintendent. The political crap in this county is unbelievable!! I'm guessing the mailer brags on their Walton values?!

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I think the YES group should find comfort in the fact the that NO-nothings ( for those of you offended, read your American History books about a political party of that name) are concerned enough to rip down signs, lie, and mislead. They are worried that the YES vote will show that the county us moving forward without them. Even if, Heaven forbid, the referendum fails, they have been put on notice that their time of running the county like the hillbilly mafia is winding down.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
The truly awful anonymously mailed hit piece on Sharon Roberts in the old mailbox today is case in point why we will NOT have a true cohort of able people opting to run for superintendent. The political crap in this county is unbelievable!! I'm guessing the mailer brags on their Walton values?!
I do not know her, but I have been to school board meetings where Ms. Roberts speaks truth to power by calling Ms Anderson to account for budget disasters and other shortfalls. I suspect those trying to tear ms. Roberts down are the same people who over the years have supported Ms Anderson's political career.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Yes, very true.

They forget that Roberts opponent has an extensive criminal history...

This mailer is their timed response to the factual info that was available to all via public record for years.

This is the all important "3rd" vote needed to secure the Alamo.

=-O