• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
It's unfortunate that it took this referendum to get people's attention to the situation to start with. For years the WCSD has floated along on a hope and a prayer that no one would start looking into what's been going on right under your noses.

For years WCSD meetings were poorly attended and teachers who could have made a difference long ago remained silent in fear of job loss or other repercussions. That's not apt to change anytime soon whether or not the Super was hired or elected.

If you work for the government in Walton County you keep your mouth shut and you keep your job.

If the No's have anything to thank the Yes Camp for, it is for bringing much needed attention to a monster that's run a muck to long.

The BCC and WCSD will be very busy answering to the citizens who pay 90% of this county's bills.

So much for this not being a North/South issue eh?

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
So Walton County will still require the supt of schools to run for office as a political candidate ? Never mind the children .

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
So Walton County will still require the supt of schools to run for office as a political candidate ? Never mind the children .

And more than likely the candidate that will be blessed with funding from the usual sources and will be the queen's hand picked candidate. My guess is Sonya Alford, the HR director and wife of the Clerk of Courts. A real political insider.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
The next candidate will be Carlene Anderson. She told a tv station yesterday she would reconsider her decision to retire if the NO vote won. Guess she figured she would be unqualified to get appointed.

And Misty, Jdarg was stating a FACT about where the county gets its money. If the north does want our involvement, they should refuse our money.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
So much for this not being a North/South issue eh?

NWFL Daily News

“I think a lot of people were suspicious this was a small group of people in South Walton pushing an agenda,” said Art Miller, one of the vocal opponents to the referendum. “I just don’t think they bought the whole argument kids before politics.”

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
NWFL Daily News

“I think a lot of people were suspicious this was a small group of people in South Walton pushing an agenda,” said Art Miller, one of the vocal opponents to the referendum. “I just don’t think they bought the whole argument kids before politics.”

Voters north of HWY 20 voting NO 87.2%

Voters on the coast voting NO 51.8%

Voters in precincts that HWY 20 transects voting NO 72.2%

Obviously, selling 'no' north of the bay was easy. If there is any consolation in our coastal performance, it is that 'no' put substantial money and effort, under the direct supervision of some of the most notorious good ol' boys, and Yes fought them to a draw. :up:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
The election is over and regardless of what the voter's said, they obviously do not understand how a good school district functions. That is a sad situation but then it is one of the risks we run by being a republic. Anyone qualified to do so can vote. All votes count. Even the misinformed and uninformed ones and those supplied by some who have no inkling of what an issue is about.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
NWFL Daily News

The Art Millers of this campaign now need to step up and put as much time and effort in holding our school system, particularly the district office, accountable for all actions. They think things are all peachy? I challenge them to really participate in education issues and not just just mount a campaign based on inaccurate assumptions about people who actually tried to raise the bar for everyone, misinformation, and misplaced patriotism (which I'm sorry we didn't grab that one first- nothing like covering up the real issue with a flag).

So it's back to the way things have always been done in Walton County, but I predict not for long. The Art Millers of the world are like dinosaurs, and they know it, or else they wouldn't have worked so hard to defeat an educational referendum.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The election is over and regardless of what the voter's said, they obviously do not understand how a good school district functions. That is a sad situation but then it is one of the risks we run by being a republic. Anyone qualified to do so can vote. All votes count. Even the misinformed and uninformed ones and those supplied by some who have no inkling of what an issue is about.

The people have spoken and in my opinion it is attitudes like yours that rub folks the wrong way. You basically think everyone who voted against your position is wrong and that your way is the only correct way. Unfortunately the referendum didn't pass, and I hope folks were able to understand the issue within our schools whether they voted for or against the referendum. I hope because of this, folks will work to find solutions and continue to participate to make our schools better.

To Jdarg, I think you did an awesome job and I know there were folks who worked with you. I truly believe that because of your actions you have started the idea that things can be better. Thanks

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks Bob. Now that the election is over, it will be interesting to see who continues to advocate for teachers, students, attend meetings, volunteer at schools, etc. My prediction it will continue to be those who supported the YES referendum. I will be back at our daughter's school, ECMS, volunteering and working with the Parent Advisory Council Team, as will our many supporters at schools all over Walton County. It's what we do when we don't have to participate in silly Walton County political games.