• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Page A3 of the Walton Sun has an interesting "Advertorial" (Paid for by the business, so there's a slant), on the Sunshine Turtle Express.

While I applaud the Express Owners for trying to do Something, Anything, to help with the crazy amount of traffic and parking, I have to wonder what the road this "HOA: Help Our Avenues!" is going to look like.

First, one must realize a simple fact; a Homeowners Association and a Condo Association are two very different things. The term "HOA" can be confused and is often painted with a broad brush stroke. Many of the "associations" along the 30a routes are condo, while many of the areas serviced are resorts like Watercolor.

The Shuttle Co., is looking for these "HOA's" to help with the cost of additional Turtle Express Shuttles. Regardless of the effectiveness, or the perceived effectiveness of this initial shuttle (2014), how do you go to a property owner (part of the HOA) and tell them that their HOA / Condo Dues will go up to support a transportation system?

What if I don't rent my unit?

Why should an HOA / Condo Assoc., pay a penny for this? If the shuttle was so successful, then I'd go buy more (or lease) vehicles and charge a bit more to cover my costs. Is this shuttle Free or is there a cost? Now I'm confused.

The Advertorial also gives some interesting numbers that I'm not so sure of. The service provided gave rides to (according to the Advertorial) 4500 passengers. Hey, that's great, less congestion, less drunks, etc. But how does that mean "2250 cars off 30A"?

The math would suggest two people per vehicle.

Four people in one car would then translate to about 1125 cars off of 30a. When you consider a large SUV, numbers are around 750 cars off 30a (six in an SUV).

So, the bang for the buck is up for debate as is the "4500 passengers" as noted in the Advertorial.

The Advertorial also states that "We have the best beaches, the bestwater, and now we have another tourist attraction: free Transportation,"

Yet the fee for the HOA's targeted is "$1 dollar a day". Far from free. Nothing is Free, except the Walton Sun.

IMO, Parking is the problem of the local business that failed to plan in advance for growth. The cost of the shuttle should be absorbed by the owner of the shuttle and they sould profit $$$ or the local business person should pay for it (as some have done and kudos to them).

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
My wife and 3 grandkids rode it once from BMB (@Tavern) to seaside for kicks. They rode all alone both ways in July afternoon midweek. We where going to take 8 one night to seaside for dinner, but it was hard to find out the time it might arrive and return. Great idea and will probably be really good when expanded. You need multiple trolleys running like every 30 minutes to succeed. People want wait on vacation for something that may just show up....

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My guess is that the voting members of the HOA's would have to vote to approve the use of the fees since it will probably translate into a dues increase.

Don't hold your breath...

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
No way I want to help fund this through the hoa. Eff that crap.

We don't rent our home. We have started cooking at home more often to avoid traffic and crowds. I am not willing to pay for the transportation of renters. The shuttle should charge those who use it. And I would be willing to pay per trip for the shuttle in the busy season to avoid spending so much time looking for a parking spot. Sometimes we drive to Seaside and go back home because we can't find a parking spot. If we haven't planned a dinner at home, we go to Bruno's (which is a very good option).

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
It amazes me that the Inlet Beach/Rosemary Beach area has become such a hot spot. 30 years ago families used to come to the beach for the beach. Now it appears that snobbery and elitism is the order of the day, at least in South Walton County.

chicagosanfran

Beach Comber
Mar 21, 2013
So I should fund the T Express to help business and tourists? Ya i dont think so, what happened to the idea that this T express would be funded by the local business entities? What a bunch of manure, we have a bike path, how about riding on that instead of me paying to carry tourists to the business entities, or better yet, let the local business community pay for it like they said they would.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Sounds like a great idea to me. We sold our place in Seagrove Beach last year. The next step is selling my house north of the bay. My next home will be in a place where there's no HOA so I won't be affected.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
At least someone around here is trying to do something positive instead of incessantly griping and offering no solutions. If you and your HOA will not support it, the t express won't stop at your neighborhood. So what do you have to complain about other than the prospect of progress?

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
At least someone around here is trying to do something positive instead of incessantly griping and offering no solutions. If you and your HOA will not support it, the t express won't stop at your neighborhood. So what do you have to complain about other than the prospect of progress?

So are you going to pay so that it will stop at your house? The businesses benefit from this so why should they object for paying for it? Most HOA assessments are excessive as they are. Certainly do not need an increase for this.