• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Who was ever slobbering over Carlene Anderson? Maybe you are confusing "working with what you have" with slobbering. It's not like the voters had any real choice of truly qualified candidates.

Oh wait- we never will, thanks to Walton County voters thinking their "right" to vote will continue to produce such great results.

And keep on beating that dead horse JP, it really seems to be working for you and enabled you to contribute so much to the discussion and Walton County education.

Perhaps "beating a dead horse" as you put it is meant to remind folks here of mismanagement and what I see as unethical behavior of one of the darlings of Walton county politics. It appears a lot of people seem to forget about incidents like 'cocaine teacher', the financial mess caused by unqualified personnel and the fact that nobody seems to be accountable. And I haven't beat the dead horse and contributed to the conversation almost 18,000 times. Please feel free to ignore my opinions and the facts surrounding them.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Perhaps "beating a dead horse" as you put it is meant to remind folks here of mismanagement and what I see as unethical behavior of one of the darlings of Walton county politics. It appears a lot of people seem to forget about incidents like 'cocaine teacher', the financial mess caused by unqualified personnel and the fact that nobody seems to be accountable. And I haven't beat the dead horse and contributed to the conversation almost 18,000 times. Please feel free to ignore my opinions and the facts surrounding them.

Um, tell me again about your attempts to make improvements in the Walton County School system?

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Um, tell me again about your attempts to make improvements in the Walton County School system?
not sure that we need to be reminded of the issues, JP. We know the problems. It's time to quit rehashing the past and work toward solutions for the future.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I have a question. How soon can the question of an elected vs. an appointed superintendent be put back on the ballot?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I have a question. How soon can the question of an elected vs. an appointed superintendent be put back on the ballot?
Depends on whether you want the taxpayers to pick up the cost of a special election or pay for part of it during a regular election cycle.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
OK back on topic. I am going to ask some of my high school teacher friends about the PSAT and if any emphasis/preparation is devoted to it. I will report back!

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
Jdarg, to address your original question....I believe it is because National Merit Scholars are based on SAT scores. Most students in this county take the ACT because it is given in the schools. The nearest SAT testing center is at Northwest Florida State College. My personal children took both but I know most students in this area take the ACT. Not sure what your question was about the PSAt you referenced in your last post. Walton county high schoolers do take the PSAT. In fact it is coming up in the next couple of weeks. Hope that helps.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Jdarg, to address your original question....I believe it is because National Merit Scholars are based on SAT scores. Most students in this county take the ACT because it is given in the schools. The nearest SAT testing center is at Northwest Florida State College. My personal children took both but I know most students in this area take the ACT. Not sure what your question was about the PSAt you referenced in your last post. Walton county high schoolers do take the PSAT. In fact it is coming up in the next couple of weeks. Hope that helps.

National Merit scholarships are based on PSAT scores, which is why they are so important. I'm concerned that they are not getting the attention they need, based on the numbers of scholarships awarded in our county.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro

Four years ago, I started writing to and calling the offices of our elected representatives in the legislature urging them to sponsor legislation that would require school superintendents to be appointed/hired rather than elected in keeping with the rest of the country. I also asked that they sponsor bills that would encourage the recruitment and retention of better teachers in the state, not just Walton County. My understanding is that many states have taken legislative action that eliminated elected superintendents. I also voted yes on the referendum. How would you have me or any other parent attempt to make improvements in the school system?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Four years ago, I started writing to and calling the offices of our elected representatives in the legislature urging them to sponsor legislation that would require school superintendents to be appointed/hired rather than elected in keeping with the rest of the country. I also asked that they sponsor bills that would encourage the recruitment and retention of better teachers in the state, not just Walton County. My understanding is that many states have taken legislative action that eliminated elected superintendents. I also voted yes on the referendum. How would you have me or any other parent attempt to make improvements in the school system?

R's already did that, thus you've got the FCAT. Keep voting republican, perhaps they can enhance the FCAT.