• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I think that raises a really good question. The TDC is suppose to be removing all objects left on the beaches overnight. These signs should be considered trash just as much as a beach chair.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think that raises a really good question. The TDC is suppose to be removing all objects left on the beaches overnight. These signs should be considered trash just as much as a beach chair.

The Sheriff's office told them to get more signs so that they could enforce whatever the law is about making people stay off private beaches. Apparently, the state issues permits for these signs. Shockingly.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
And I spoke to a local who lives on Eastern Lake Road and his family and small kids had set up by the lake outflow close to the Right of way last week - Code Enforcement made then move away from the signs!! And we can barely get Code Enforcement to do anything!!

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Recently posted to SoWal Facebook page by Robert Raymond... Not sure why he posted it but there ya go (it's under posts by others where many locals, visitors and businesses post info)

"Me and my new neighbors sign. He has lots of them all over the beach..." Robert R.

Is this guy showing his neighbors' sign or is that the guy who put the signs up? I need to know who to cuss.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The direction to cuss is varied. The previous owner of the property ( who may still be a part owner) offered to sell that property to the County years ago. The County declined the offer because the property is unbuildable and they were asking too much. Recently, the "new owners"(no, I don't have names) have offered to sell the property to the County, again. The asking price and appraisal are in the works.

Meanwhile, most of us think the signs went up to cause a furor in the citizenry, to demand the County procure the property. It must be working because we all are a little more irritated.

Seriously, the BCC and the TDC need to as proactive as possible to procure and preserve all beach property surrounding the Coast Dune Lake inlets. And Eastern Lake Inlet should be number one on the list.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Google pic of area?

We stayed at Commodore's Retreat last year. Had stayed there years ago. Pool wasn't available last year. Parking is awful. Otherwise a nice spot but we didn't have any interest in the lake - they often look dirty - always wonder what's in them. Also, we like to park for the week and had to drive everywhere.
Ellen

Attachments

• eastern lake.jpg
    eastern lake.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 460

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Just for everyone's education, when the Inlet was allowed to meander eastward (before the owner of the Sanroy house dumped 26 dump trucks loads of compaction sand in the floodplain) the Gulf waters more freely entered the Inlet as well as the Lake, and, after a breakout the Inlet was just as crystal clear as the Gulf. Those magical days don't happen much anymore.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
UofL:

Currently (or at least as of a few weeks ago) the Gulf frontage of the subject parcel was part of an isthmus between Eastern Lake and the Gulf. You can look at the Tax Parcel Map in my post above (Post #9) and the general boundary of the parcel (although not an exact survey) is shown as the square parcel where my cursor arrow was. My picture below shows a more current configuration with the isthmus as I've seen it this summer; for reference, I included the eastern edge of Commodore's Retreat condos where you stayed (left border of pic) and the western edge of the parcel owner's house (right border of pic):

Isthmus.jpg

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Just for everyone's education, when the Inlet was allowed to meander eastward (before the owner of the Sanroy house dumped 26 dump trucks loads of compaction sand in the floodplain) the Gulf waters more freely entered the Inlet as well as the Lake, and, after a breakout the Inlet was just as crystal clear as the Gulf. Those magical days don't happen much anymore.

Imagine...

Attachments

• 21-July 2004.jpg
    21-July 2004.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 413
  • 22-July 2004.jpg
    22-July 2004.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 404