• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Great pictures, Lake View Too! I've been visiting there since 1988 and have seen the lake open and close on the beach in many variations. For the longest time, though, it seems that even when it does open up, the outflow and the Gulf to the south and southwest remain brown with the tannin. Has the artificial sand dump from the Sanroy owner caused it to concentrate tannin at the south end of the lake, instead of naturally opening, flowing and flushing with Gulf water more frequently? I'm guessing this is the case or the 26 loads of sand "elevated" the beach, so that now any outflow is only an outflow and does not get as much Gulf water, as it would practically have to go "uphill" to get into the lake.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The artificial sand berm has prevented the inlet from breaking out straight through, as it was prone to do, historically. If allowed to break out straight thru, it gains more force and gets much wider. A wider, less winding, inlet means more salt water can back flow and the lake is simply healthier. It's better for the aquatic plant life. It prevents the spread of invasive species. And it better for fish populations.

ddreneet

Beach Comber
Mar 15, 2015
Just wanted to let you know that not all visitors/tourists have no respect! I know there are people anywhere you go that are like that but some of us do respect the beach and want to keep it clean.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Great pictures, Lake View Too! I've been visiting there since 1988 and have seen the lake open and close on the beach in many variations. For the longest time, though, it seems that even when it does open up, the outflow and the Gulf to the south and southwest remain brown with the tannin. Has the artificial sand dump from the Sanroy owner caused it to concentrate tannin at the south end of the lake, instead of naturally opening, flowing and flushing with Gulf water more frequently? I'm guessing this is the case or the 26 loads of sand "elevated" the beach, so that now any outflow is only an outflow and does not get as much Gulf water, as it would practically have to go "uphill" to get into the lake.
who in the world would OK 26 loads off sand ( I understand colors didn't match) into a sensitive environmental area?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
To me, it was travesty. I have no proof, but it was the most questionable decision ever made by the FDEP. I wouldn't rule out bribery, but, then again, I wouldn't rule out another beer, at this time. :)