• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Why does it appear that some feel it's OK for "resort areas or resort towns" to have a Private Beach, but not an individual homeowner?

It's all the same beach.

Where's all the push back to Rosemary, Watercolor, Watersound, etc.?

Seems odd.

Not a good argument.

The real issue will quickly become not where you CAN sit on the beach, it will be HOW you get there (access).

Just wait.

Pandora's Box is open.

I hear your argument in that view john g. the thing is that multi unit resorts have NO more right to exclude random sand sitters than any OTHER beach front owner. ANY beach front owner as ANY beach GOER should expect and be able to rely upon the assurance that individual bad behavior will be punished pursuant to existing nuisance ordinances or new ones as the need may be. Those pictures are thoroughly depressing.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I hear your argument in that view john g. the thing is that multi unit resorts have NO more right to exclude random sand sitters than any OTHER beach front owner. ANY beach front owner as ANY beach GOER should expect and be able to rely upon the assurance that individual bad behavior will be punished pursuant to existing nuisance ordinances or new ones as the need may be. Those pictures are thoroughly depressing.

But where's the outrage from the Stand Your Sand Group, or a formal stance from A Better South Walton? They appear to be the same group, but not the same group.

Why can the big resort communities get a "pass" and Gulf Front Owners get the hate?

Time to streamline this argument and have it so it's not so slanted and basically, discriminatory.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
But where's the outrage from the Stand Your Sand Group, or a formal stance from A Better South Walton? They appear to be the same group, but not the same group.

Why can the big resort communities get a "pass" and Gulf Front Owners get the hate?

Time to streamline this argument and have it so it's not so slanted and basically, discriminatory.
Because the resorts are business entities that contribute much to our community and economy. They are good neighbors. Gulf front owners who kick people of their beach and put up chains are greedy bastards.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
From what I can see on those pics, the signage is not proper according to the 810th chapter of Florida Statutes. You would think that if they are going to quote that chapter that they would at least READ it...

(2.a.Conspicuous no trespassing notice is painted on trees or posts on the property, provided that the notice is:
(I) Painted in an international orange color and displaying the stenciled words “No Trespassing” in letters no less than 2 inches high and 1 inch wide either vertically or horizontally;
(II) Placed so that the bottom of the painted notice is not less than 3 feet from the ground or more than 5 feet from the ground; and

Wuchie

Beach Lover
Apr 10, 2012
We are back at Sowal and see that the beach chair rentals are now $365 for 6 days. When we first started visiting Sowal there weren't very many vendors and now the beaches are completely dominated by the . Further, the beaches are all divided up in small portions this year with ropes and signs stating where you can sit and can't sit depending on where you are staying.

Anyway, if we wake up early and go down to the beach to set up first, then walk the beach with the kids, can these vendors move my things? I just don't want to be behind 3 rows of chairs because I can't see my children in the water.

Thanks so much!
You must be renting quite a few chairs and/or umbrellas because my husband and I were just there in the spring and paid less than $200.00 for a week .... 2 chairs, table, and umbrella.

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
Beach chairs, beach rights, overcrowding, local economy,infrastructure, local government, special interest groups. Merge all the threads to one. "This town needs an enema".

Marmot

Beach Lover
Jun 16, 2016
SRB
As to the discussion above, our beach set up consists of two $30 Nautica chairs and a $40 SportBrella from Sam's Club. This set up has served us well for years and we don't mind carrying it over. A set up to last for years for the same price as two days of chair rentals - makes sense to me! Now if only we could find a piece of water front sand to put it on! I really do try to "beach like a local" but these rampant chair vendors sure do make it hard!!

Consider the beaches in Seagrove from N Dothan Ave to Nightcap St, this stretch of beach is Public. No private property signs and low vendor usage.
Also, requesting public to please support an additional beach access proposed by TDC on Headland ave to this area of "public beach". Beach front owners on either side of this county owned land are attempting to block construction of a walkover and bike rack.

Posted on: June 17, 2016
NOTICE of PUBLIC WORKSHOP - Headland Ave Public Beach Access
NOTICE of PUBLIC WORKSHOP
You are hereby notified that the Walton County Board of County Commissioners will hold a workshop on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM or soon thereafter. The meeting will be held at the South Walton Courthouse Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa Beach, FL.
Hope you find a peaceful "piece of water front sand" to put your chairs and umbrella on.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
image.jpeg
Because the resorts are business entities that contribute much to our community and economy. They are good neighbors. Gulf front owners who kickpeople of their beach and put up chains are greedy bastards.

I've been visiting the area for 28 years and I've been a member on the SoWal forums for 11 years. I've been following these discussions over the past couple of years as I've noticed the area, beaches, restaurants, roads and other amenities get more and more crowded.

I definitely see, understand, and respect the multiple points of view of ALL sides in this discussion (there aren't just "2 sides").

I do want to continue the discussion, though, about the large communities being allowed to place no trespassing/private beach signs (and I've even heard of wristbands or other ID being required), while smaller developments or single family owners are not allowed to place such signage or require such credentials.

It is stated above that the reason for this difference which some see as an inconsistency is because the larger (and more upscale) communities are "businesses entities that contribute much to our community and economy." I don't disagree that these businesses and/or their owners contribute to varying degrees in civic and community contribution as well as revenue generation. But does that give them more leverage to tell an inland-dwelling, non-beachfront property-owning resident of SoWal, or a visitor, for that matter, that they can't walk or hang out on their beach, yet it doesn't give a single unit beachfront property owner, or a small unit condo association, the same power?

To be honest, I wish everyone could "beach" wherever they want to, without annoying other beachers or crowding people out or blocking their view. But I see signs less prominently at houses and small condos than I do at the "large communities" including Seaside as pictured above in last week's Walton Sun...

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
If you are staying somewhere that owns 100 yards of beach to share among 500 rental houses, there might be an issue with crowding. Not a negative for people who like a lot of action and interaction.

This is the most asinine statement I've seen on this forum.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
img_4750-jpg.60827

How is this legal? The chairs are on the wet sand.