• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
There is a way for a city to take over a school district, but since my opinions usually get pissed on I'll let the trolls beat each other up.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Residents of Point Washington were also shocked at the new portables, as they now fully take over the area formerly used for recess and recreation for Bay's students. However, the current enrollment at Bay Elementary required more classroom space. Bay cannot be added on to in the same manner as the first Emerald Coast Middle School was added on to Butler Elementary. At this point it wouldn't be feasible as a new elementary school is in the works. It is rumored that the new school will be 2nd - 5th grade and Bay will continue to be used as VPK/K/1st grade. In any event, if our historic Bay Elementary ceases to function as a school, it is hoped that the community will be able to use the building.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
When I attended Bay Elementary in the early 1970s, we had 1st. 2nd and 3rd grades in one room and 4th, 5th and 6th in the other classroom. When I was in 4th grade, it so happened that the other two kids that I'd been in 3rd grade with moved away and so I was the only 4th grader. We had Easter Egg hunts and came back with more eggs than were hidden. Our bus driver picked up fresh roadkill as her husband would sell the pelts. A far cry from how it is now... ;-)

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
When I attended Bay Elementary in the early 1970s, we had 1st. 2nd and 3rd grades in one room and 4th, 5th and 6th in the other classroom. When I was in 4th grade, it so happened that the other two kids that I'd been in 3rd grade with moved away and so I was the only 4th grader. We had Easter Egg hunts and came back with more eggs than were hidden. Our bus driver picked up fresh roadkill as her husband would sell the pelts. A far cry from how it is now... ;-)
"Back in the day" (1970's as well)...

I used to ride my bike to school. Without a helmet. And never once locked my bike to the rack. Elementary and junior high (middle school).

Here's the one that'll get ya...
I used to carry my .22 rifle to school. Many of us did. we would shoot bottles and cans at the vacant property and ball fields. Even had teachers who would participate.
We kept our rifles in our locker. And I remember kerping a box of shells in my locker. :lol:

Even had one teacher bring his muzzle loader in and allowed some of us to shoot the little cannon.

My God we've become a country of such political correct wuzzies.