• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
"A consent agenda is a board meeting practice that groups routine business and reports into one agenda item. The consent agenda can be approved in one action, rather than filing motions on each item separately."

The consent agenda is also a place where unscrupulous elected officials often get away with having an item(s) payed by the taxpayers that we don't owe.

On the Agenda dated Feb 14, 2017 Cecilia Jones had submitted for payment a bill for $300.00 in attorney fees for a deposition she got herself involved in with an ex-employee of the City of Defuniak Springs which had absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with County business! Ms. Jones was asking to be reimbursed for money she alleges she paid out to said attorney even though she could NOT produce a receipt where she had paid for said services. Basically, the bill had NEVER been paid, was for services that allegedly occurred through Nov. 8, 2016 and submitted for payment in the hope that people would not notice. The deposition stems from the firing of a City employee in 2012.

The statement from the attorney to Cecilia Jones C/O Mark Davis, ***** v Walton County et al albeit, ***** never sued Walton County! According to the attorney the primary focus of the questions to Cecilia Jones were in regard to her actions as a County Commissioner and whether or not her conduct would have interfered or influenced any decision by the Defuniak Springs City Marshall. Why is what the City Marshall does of any consequence to the County? The City is Incorproated and the County has nothing to do with the daily running or operation of the City!

Why is it the taxpayers responsibility to bail Cecilia Jones out for her ridiculous behavior in City business that had nothing to do with County business? She acted alone and even the attorney acknowledged that he was acting on her behalf as a private attorney and not on the Counties behalf.

When Mark Davis was contacted about this he agreed to pull the item from the consent agenda only because it was pointed out to him this was a Sunshine law violation. Then Mark Davis said he would put it under the agenda on his time and was told again he would be in violation of Sunshine law so he agreed to pull the item from the agenda.

Under the Consent Agenda when they ask for public comment C. Jones also prevented Bob Hudson him from speaking by telling him he had to sit down and wait until the end of the meeting to speak under public comments.

Just before the close of the meeting, prior to Mac Carpenter speaking, Bob Hudson got up to go outside and C. Jones immediately seized the opportunity of Bob being outside Chambers to call for public comment and said "seeing none" they would break for 5 minutes. She effectively silenced Bob Hudson.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
From an email sent to a constituent regarding this entire debacle Mark Davis allows..."I received your emails below. Commissioner Jones has actually paid the bill herself personally. The Agenda item was to seek authorization from the County Commission to reimburse her. However, she has asked to pull the item from the Agenda for tomorrow until she has an opportunity to review the deposition personally. Thank you for your inquiry."

When asked if Ms. Jones had submitted receipt showing she had paid this out of pocket expense she could NOT/DID NOT produce a receipt showing she had personally paid this bill. (Because she hasn't.)

According to that same constituent who actually spoke with Mark Davis...They were told by Mark Davis that he would pull the consent agenda item and prior to that conversation the item was still on the consent agenda. Did Cecilia Jones really request it be pulled OR when it was pointed out by the constituent this was a Sunshine violation, was the County humping to save C. Jones backside? I don't believe for a minute C. Jones requested herself that the item be pulled and I find it incredulous that she can't remember her own testimony in a sworn Deposition where she hired a private attorney to represent herself in shenanigans with the City that she got herself involved in.

You got caught C. Jones! This isn't your first merry-go-round having the county foot your bills for something you were not entitled too either. What was that scandal about medical bills where you submitted payment to the County for reimbursement for your spouse?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
From an email sent to a constituent regarding this entire debacle Mark Davis allows..."I received your emails below. Commissioner Jones has actually paid the bill herself personally. The Agenda item was to seek authorization from the County Commission to reimburse her. However, she has asked to pull the item from the Agenda for tomorrow until she has an opportunity to review the deposition personally. Thank you for your inquiry."

When asked if Ms. Jones had submitted receipt showing she had paid this out of pocket expense she could NOT/DID NOT produce a receipt showing she had personally paid this bill. (Because she hasn't.)

According to that same constituent who actually spoke with Mark Davis...They were told by Mark Davis that he would pull the consent agenda item and prior to that conversation the item was still on the consent agenda. Did Cecilia Jones really request it be pulled OR when it was pointed out by the constituent this was a Sunshine violation, was the County humping to save C. Jones backside? I don't believe for a minute C. Jones requested herself that the item be pulled and I find it incredulous that she can't remember her own testimony in a sworn Deposition where she hired a private attorney to represent herself in shenanigans with the City that she got herself involved in.

You got caught C. Jones! This isn't your first merry-go-round having the county foot your bills for something you were not entitled too either. What was that scandal about medical bills where you submitted payment to the County for reimbursement for your spouse?
Do they have grand juries in Walton county?

earl

Beach Lover
Mar 29, 2008
Sowal
After taking a break from this political site for a while ...... This is getting just a wee bit ridiculous running around with a lynch mob after commissioners and private business owners about every little thing . I would like to read more on these so called expenses you say commissioner Jones has so wrongly asked for. Please tell me where you find all your info about this subject. Thanks

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
After taking a break from this political site for a while ...... This is getting just a wee bit ridiculous running around with a lynch mob after commissioners and private business owners about every little thing . I would like to read more on these so called expenses you say commissioner Jones has so wrongly asked for. Please tell me where you find all your info about this subject. Thanks

Public records and consent agendas. You're welcome.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Vote Her Out..Oh, we already did..who is next? BCC your employer "Walton Citizens" are watching....no more expensive desk, no more family members running beach vendor agenda and regulations...we are Watching....

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
@earl you are the ridiculous one. How do you equate a lynch mob with folks on a public forum making (mostly civil and not overly harsh and truthful) comments about elected officials and where do you see local businesses mentioned?

And I never thought of your avatar as ridiculous for the record.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
@earl

Read this...

Answer this...If this was or is money the County legitimately owes to Cecilia Jones private attorney for services he rendered to her as her private attorney and she paid the bill herself...Where is the receipt she says she has, showing she has paid this item out of pocket but was unable to produce prior to it being pulled from the consent agenda?

Also please answer this...If in fact Cecilia Jones requested the item be pulled from the agenda until she has/had the opportunity to review the deposition...then why on earth did she NOT review the deposition prior to the bill being submitted in the first place?

Are BCC members in fact paid to be mindful and respectful of taxpayer money and how they spend it? Yes or no? If your answer is yes, then Cecilia Jones failed in her duty as an elected official to be diligent in NOT reviewing the deposition first, rather than just submitting a bill she thinks she should be paid for! If you answer no, then I might I suggest you go back on your break and allow honest, hard working citizens an opportunity to publicly voice their dissatisfaction in regard to how an elected public official is trying to conduct her private business with taxpayer money! Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Having read the aforementioned "public record" emails between Mark Davis and a constituent let me ask you this also @earl...

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Cecilia Jones did in fact pay this $300.00 tab that she is being billed for by her personal attorney.

If this was actually "County Representation" regarding "county business" as Cecilia Jones has claimed, why would she pay this bill out of her own pocket rather than having the Attorney bill the county directly?

Also from the aforementioned "public record" emails between Mark Davis and a constituent...Mr. Davis claims that this bill was paid by Ms. Jones with a personal check. Would not that personal check then be the "missing" receipt? Would that personal check then not become a matter of PUBLIC RECORD since it was used as a tool for payment, for services rendered to the County which the County attempted to pay under a consent agenda item?

Would you not also think that it is simply a BAD BAD policy for ANY BCC member to pay for ANY service rendered that the County should reimburse with a personal check? Do you not understand where that scenario could/would create a conflict and a sunshine law violation?

How bout if everyone who works for the county submitted their own personal checks for something they paid for asking the County for reimbursement? If you don't see that as a problem, then you're the problem too. Just let anyone who works for the County go on a shopping spree, buy whatever they please and submit their check for reimbursement! Seriously? Would that be OK with you? How is that ANY different than what Cecilia Jones has done????