• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
My bank has a full list of their approved builders. If someone isn't on their list they conduct full check before I get their approval..they are looking out for their money as well as my best interest..actually whole process is kind of intimidating..going slow!!!!

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
My bank has a full list of their approved builders. If someone isn't on their list they conduct full check before I get their approval..they are looking out for their money as well as my best interest..actually whole process is kind of intimidating..going slow!!!!
I'm assuming your bank has a fiduciary duty to you. That's how it should work. They also probably have no fiduciary duty to the Builder.

Lou Deman

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2017
South Walton
Steel1man
Put the leg work in yourself. Getting approved on a bank list is easy. Remember you will have to deal with the builder throughout the whole project and beyond.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
Steel1man
Put the leg work in yourself. Getting approved on a bank list is easy. Remember you will have to deal with the builder throughout the whole project and beyond.

Good point on the "and beyond", as not matter how well a home is built, there will always be warranty or other issues down the road. You want a high quality, responsive builder that you communicate well with across the board. Unfortunately, like in all professions, you have some bad eggs.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
Costs to construct a home on 30a are typical of any other coastal Florida market.

Calculate the cost of all materials to build a building and you have the cost. The difference in SoWal is what the human element believes they deserve.

Ask any experienced builder to calculate the cost of all the materials on your job first excluding all labor. If they can't give you the cost of all the materials combined then move on to someone else who can.

The cost of "materials only" to build a house in Rosemary Beach is somewhere near $75 per square foot. WaterSound Beach $73, Watercolor $71, Alys Beach $70. Then calculate the labor for every trade. A yard of 3,000 PSI, regular rock, no fiber concrete is currently +- $94. A 3,000 sq ft Alys Beach 100% concrete home will use approximately 320 yards of concrete
What does a human element deserve when they have a 40 year old cherry picker truck and are using it to shave off the weirdest and lumpiest material I’ve ever seen any oddball try to stucco over? Plus who wants to take that long.
- your numbers reflect what? Are you suggesting that homeowners in those neighborhoods sit and stare at unfinished walls and raw block? I’ve seen $350 a foot wall paper used in Watercolor. A bucket at Home Depot costs $5, fill it with crap for free, fill it with gold it’s $50k. Meaningless statements made and trying to sucker the uninformed and greedy.

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
What does a human element deserve when they have a 40 year old cherry picker truck and are using it to shave off the weirdest and lumpiest material I’ve ever seen any oddball try to stucco over? Plus who wants to take that long.
- your numbers reflect what? Are you suggesting that homeowners in those neighborhoods sit and stare at unfinished walls and raw block? I’ve seen $350 a foot wall paper used in Watercolor. A bucket at Home Depot costs $5, fill it with crap for free, fill it with gold it’s $50k. Meaningless statements made and trying to sucker the uninformed and greedy.
No reason to attack me. My building is not typical and I don't have to go any faster. You clearly don't know what I'm doing over there, but I know exactly.

Evansc

Beach Comber
Nov 3, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Are you referring to that awful house over near Balance Health Studio that has been under construction for years? Is that who Spring Street Builders is? No wonder there was no information available anywhere, which seemed odd for someone that claimed to be building here for 20+ years. He must have set up a new front to operate under after his previous bankruptcies and being banned from building at many of the major developments along 30-a. Feel so bad for the people that own that place. They got suckered.