• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
It might be interesting to find out how many tourists are using the beaches of South Walton on any given sun day, to see how many human beings are suppose to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness per mile.

And compare this to ancient use "as we always have".
You can have an opposing view but, if you haven’t lived in this community and been committed to this community for quite awhile, your view lacks validity. I will use primitive methods espoused by our president. All caps: CARPETBAGGERS.

You should be ashamed of yourself. There are thousands of recent property owners in our county - they have the same rights to a view point as you do. This is America.

Shannon

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
You can have an opposing view but, if you haven’t lived in this community and been committed to this community for quite awhile, your view lacks validity. I will use primitive methods espoused by our president. All caps: CARPETBAGGERS.
........The attitude of I am local and have been here for xyz is as bad or worse than the carpetbaggers. The fact someone has been here 5-10-15-20 years in no way makes them an expert on the topic.
Hell, I have been here 25 or so. I reckon that gives me a PHD?

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Shannon Lince, know many beachfront owners applaud your informed and factual posts; and the other private property rights advocate posts as well. Know too that your factual reasoning is lost on those that are ignorant of the legal doctrine of custom. Sorry for the long post - got on a roll.

Even though the obscure old English common law doctrine of custom flies in the face of the United States of America’s Constitutional protection of private property rights; has anyone actually read Sir William Blackstone 1765–1769 Commentaries, just Walton’s claim of “ancient” fails the common law test - even not considering that it contravenes the Constitution. Less than a hundred years of affidavits is not ancient - much less comply with legal rules of evidence. Dr Miller’s expert evidence is vague and circumstantial at best. Many US and State courts over a hundred years ago in the late 1800s and early 1900s (ancient?) agreed the criteria of ancient custom in America is not valid because no American legal custom can be before the memory of man [Graham v. Walker: 78 Conn. 130, 61 A. 98 (1905)].

Beachfront owners like BlueMtnBeachVagrant have been posting customary use facts here since 2007 (does that qualify for ancient?), lazin&drinkin, FactorFiction, john-g, patriot-games, and many others I have failed to list, have posted facts about private property rights. I understand why BlueMtnBeachVagrant gave up posting for a while, I have grown tired of the inane rambling of customary use “opinions” and stopped posting facts that show the emotional ignorant posts of vocal customary users are just that - baseless emotional opinions.

Like the ridiculous $100 quit claim deeds theory, quite title (that’s one of the least understood), Mike Huckabee is responsible for HB631. “Boomerang” posted and accused me and FactorFiction of being Huckabee. Mike Huckabee is a celebrity that worked hard and earned his way, lives on the beach and an easy target for the conspiracy theorist; but he is no more responsible for HB631 than I am. That Florida beaches are being "privatized"; they were and are already private property with all the property rights owners north of 30A or Hwy 98 have - if not why is the Sheriff havening to come up with procedures to (not) enforce trespass? Or you have to be a “local” to know what you are talking about SoWal and customary use. This Forum proves that is not true. I’ve been here for many decades.

The ludicrous hypothesis that deeded private dry sand is not taxed by Walton County or that it is worthless because it can’t be built on is baseless dribble. Beach property can be physically built on (Walton wants to build a SoWal beach pier), but Governments have used their police powers to regulate use and not issue building permits to build on the beach. To say the Government regulates and prohibits building on beach; therefore the beach can’t be built on, therefore the dry sand beach is worthless because it can't be built on, and the Government should use eminent domain and purchase worthless beachfront - is defies logic or reason. Politicians can tell owners HOW to use your private beachfront [within Constitutional limits] but not WHO can use your private beachfront property - only the courts can tell you WHO. That's why the Florida legislature overwhelmingly passed HB631 - to stop counties like Walton from abusing their police powers by declaring customary use without due process for political means.

Shannon Lince, private beachfront owners are a minority and facts only matter in court - not here or social media. Constitutionally protected private property rights and Walton BCC's claim of common law public customary use on private property will be settled in the courts. Join the other many beachfront owners and encourage other beachfront owners to seek a legal advice to intervene in Walton BCC customary use litigation. Don’t stop posting the facts but know the facts will fall on covered ears of ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I’ve been visiting the area frequently since around 1986, but I don’t live there, nor do I own property there, but my wife and kids and other family members and I feel like we are a part of the community when we are there because generally speaking, the locals and longtime visitors are kind and hospitable people, and MOST like to maintain the local feel of the area and protect the unique geographical and ecological qualities of the area, and that’s why I follow the political discussions that I read on this forum - I hope that those unique qualities are preserved.

I can understand people having disagreements about customary use, but to say opposing views such as those of Shannon lack validity due to his or her tenure in the area is disappointing. Haven’t the pro-customary use proponents also been encouraging affidavits and support from out of state visitors who don’t own property in the area?

I will say that I agree with a lot of the development and ecological concerns that Shannon has expressed in this forum - not necessarily in direct relation to CU.
Just to let you know, when I say “live here” I am including the long time visitors who have been a committed part of the community. Anyone with a good attitude towards the preservation of what we love about this place has a valid viewpoint. People that barge into this room full of arrogance and self-righteousness are the ones I consider carpetbaggers.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
........The attitude of I am local and have been here for xyz is as bad or worse than the carpetbaggers. The fact someone has been here 5-10-15-20 years in no way makes them an expert on the topic.
Hell, I have been here 25 or so. I reckon that gives me a PHD?

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, also. I've voted in every election in Walton County since 1983. I've been to more BCC meetings, and Planning meetings than I would ever care to remember. Although I am really not an "activist", I have feebly tried to find ways to limit uncontrolled growth for several decades now. So, I am really pretty well fed up with people who just moved here recently from Atlanta or Little Rock or Russia, who have this built in superiority complex about what is wrong with this area, and what we should do to fix it, especially when it will banish a major majority of the locals and gracious visitors who have loved this area for decades, from life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We ain't all going to fit on a 3-mile stretch of beach. I really don't think their "solutions" have you and me in mind. Do you?

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I am really pretty well fed up with people who just moved here recently from Atlanta or Little Rock or Russia, who have this built in superiority complex ... especially when it will banish a major majority of the locals and gracious visitors who have loved this area for decades, from life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We ain't all going to fit on a 3-mile stretch of beach.
It's more than 8 (or 9?) miles of public beach.

If the state parks can charge entry and prohibit Walton County vehicles from driving on the state beaches, no animals, have huge signs on the beach, why can't private property owners have the same rights as the State of Florida? Why did Walton County spent over $7,472,000 for 225 feet of beachfront to the MHWL (a million over the highest appraisal) in Dune Allen (9/2016) if Walton commissioners are so confident of customary use? Wonder how many millions the County attorney fees have spent and will spend, plus the beachfront owner attorney fees if they prevail, will be? Wonder how much infrastructure those millions could buy? Oh well it's only tax payer's money - not commissioner's own money.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, also. I've voted in every election in Walton County since 1983. I've been to more BCC meetings, and Planning meetings than I would ever care to remember. Although I am really not an "activist", I have feebly tried to find ways to limit uncontrolled growth for several decades now. So, I am really pretty well fed up with people who just moved here recently from Atlanta or Little Rock or Russia, who have this built in superiority complex about what is wrong with this area, and what we should do to fix it, especially when it will banish a major majority of the locals and gracious visitors who have loved this area for decades, from life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We ain't all going to fit on a 3-mile stretch of beach. I really don't think their "solutions" have you and me in mind. Do you?

You make a lot of assumptions.

Shannon

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
If you think I'm happy with our County Government, you really are delusional. The 3 mile figure was one I saw somewhere else in this gumbo of threads.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
You make a lot of assumptions.

Shannon
And you're assuming that I give a chit about your opinion. Your arrogance is what started this. Talk like a normal concerned part of the community, and you might sway some minds. But that's just a theory.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
And you're assuming that I give a chit about your opinion. Your arrogance is what started this. Talk like a normal concerned part of the community, and you might sway some minds. But that's just a theory.

You mean like the way you've been talking to me from your first post? May God grant up wisdom and peace.

Shannon - Out