Mike Huckabee’s role in pushing controversial beach access law

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Teresa, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Shannon Lince

Shannon Lince Beach Lover

Yes, this is your decision. The other two counties who did prevail with customary use went through the courts. It's Walton county that did not follow the precedent and legal requirements when voting in an ordinance. This has always been a court decision, HB631 only codified it in the statutes to prevent something this serious from happening again without going through the courts.

There isn't a place in Florida that you can obtain an easement or right to someone else's property without going through a court and suing the property owner. Walton county is not exempt of these basic legal requirements. Blaming others because they understood these very basic legal principles that are taught in law 101 and in place since Florida's founding seems unnatural.

If it truly is about just a handful of beach owners - then the appropriate action is to sue them. I'm not keeping any locals off my property, but I object to being forced by fiat to handle unlimited populations and overcrowding density. It's not fair or right for you or anyone else to ask me to take on this public burden.

While I can understand your good intentions, the methods have been far from innocent.

Shannon

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  2. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Fanatic

Even if all, 1000 is a mere handful compared to the number of people who have used the beach uninterrupted since ancient times including the indigineous people of the area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Robert D

Robert D Beach Lover

Too bad we didn't take care of our business before Huckabee moved here.

He barged in and built a giant mansion in a quiet neighborhood, lit it up like Christmas, and built a 12 foot brick wall around it. Not neighborly. He doesn't belong here and is not welcomed by anyone except a few who buy into his particular brand of charlatanism.

@Shannon Lince seems to be of the same ilk. Barging onto the forum and trying to push people around. Only interested in forcing her opinion onto others. Not a good community member.

4. Shannon Lince

Shannon Lince Beach Lover

You make a lot of assumptions and exactly who are you to decide who is belongs here and who doesn't?

Shannon

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

:benice:

6. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Me thinks someone didnt research where they were moving to and went on emotions alone when buying in a resort area. Now they realize its not all rainbows and unicorn farts in paradise and want to turn it into something different than what it is and to be more like THEIR idea of what it should be. Good luck with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Amp22

Amp22 Beach Fanatic

Haha we gots rednecks

8. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Yep...had one woman ask us not to disturb the peaceful nature of Pt. Washington with fireworks not too long ago. I hated to burst her bubble when I told her that she was in the middle of a wildlife management area and that they probably weren't fireworks.
    :whitetrash:

9. lazin&drinkin

lazin&drinkin Beach Lover

Should there be such a storm, and sooner or later there will be, private properties, including beaches, should be repaired/restored with private, not public, money. I think your opinion that private owners would be screaming for public funds in such instance is totally unfounded and, given the recent, current, and foreseeable circumstances, entirely likely to be 180 degrees from the truth.

10. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

Sounds like it's time to move on and find a place you can enjoy your remaining years.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Might want to sell before the customary use debacle we have found ourselves in causes the property values to bottom out and those foreclosures start showing up because of the people that cant afford it without the rental income.

12. lazin&drinkin

lazin&drinkin Beach Lover

The name-calling and overt hostility of the emotional, if ignorant of the law, majority of posters here its unfortunately typical of the Antifa mindset to which they have succumbed. Not to suggest that any of them have less than at least room temperature intellects, but they sure have emotions with which to compensate, at least among one another.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

Quite revealing that you would bring up fascism.

14. L.C. Bane

L.C. Bane Beach Fanatic

Politicizing this topic and passive aggressive attacks are desperate. Condescending? Perhaps. You go ahead and you do you, as it were.

Search the forum and see that I voted Trump (coservative my entire life) but have reached common ground on this subject with those that politically disagree with me.

15. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

I personally could never retain Uhlfelder. I still can’t believe he pulled out the Nazi card at a previous CU meeting where he compared GFOs to Nazis.... “and that’s why my grandparents escaped from the Nazis and came to the United States, to escape oppression (private property rights) like this.” Pretty damn insensitive and opportunistic thing to say, especially to those who lost family in the war.

His intentional and repeated antagonism of BFOs and the sheriff’s department reveals who he is. And PLEASE don’t elevate his methods by comparing him to Rosa Parks. Don’t much care for his artsy fartsy partner in crime either.

His actions promotes anarchy because the sheriff is afraid to arrest anybody for trespassing for political purposes. Yet the law TODAY supports that privately owned beach is private, pure and simple. So we have a recipe for disaster where a tourist or local challenges a homeowner and the situation escalates resulting in injury or death. (We’ve all seen YouTube videos where he gets away with trespassing.) And then think the whole scenario could have possibly been averted if they were more initially concerned that they could be arrested for trespassing instead of receiving just a slap on the hand - that they would avoid the confrontation altogether. Isn’t that what properly enforced laws with police power is all about - to discourage bad behavior and prevent anarchy?

In case you missed it, I really don’t like Uhlfelder’s methods.

16. Poppaj

Poppaj Beach Fanatic

He says while he lovingly polishes his Tiki Torch.

17. boomerang

boomerang Beach Lover

Huckabee is the single worse thing that ever happened to Walton county - and to deny this is his cause is idiotic.

I am conservative and a believer.

He is a selfish through and through - and does not care about the people who live here not wealthy enough to I've in beach front hoods.

18. bob bob

bob bob Beach Fanatic

artsy fartsy?!?

:wacko:

19. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Look, I have been respectful to you and continue to be. We just disagree. If you are so sure of your position then you should relax and await your payday. If prior to 2015 you were able to exercise your property rights over CU then it should be an easy task to prevail in the courts. If you did not enforce your property rights that you believed you had prior to that, I think you will lose at all our expense. But I am not schooled in the law and am more than willing to let the courts decide. I understand why you continue to share what you share, because you want to spare me the expense of a protracted legal case as a taxpayer. I am certainly not trying to scare people to the cause of CU, by what I believe could happen to the economy. I do believe it will damage it, but I think had I not said anything or not, CU is a more attractive alternative to what is currently occuring. I hope you have a wonderful day and truly don't hold any ill will toward you. As I see this conversation is getting angry and really prefer not to be frustrated by the name calling and arrogance being displayed by many involved, this is the last I will discuss it. Again have a great day.

20. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

If one removes the CU from your post, I personally and probably many others agree with the rest.