• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
This was not our decision. This was the decision of a handful of beach front owners. I don't like that Walton County was singled out. But it's what we've got thanks to Huckabee, Rick Scott and other Florida representatives who thought a court process would be the best solution. It's not malicious. It just is what it is. I'm sorry.

Yes I do wish peace for all of us and that includes you. Your concerns are as important as anyone else in our community. I am sure you are involved and will be actively learning and supporting your community like so many here who love living and working here.

Yes, this is your decision. The other two counties who did prevail with customary use went through the courts. It's Walton county that did not follow the precedent and legal requirements when voting in an ordinance. This has always been a court decision, HB631 only codified it in the statutes to prevent something this serious from happening again without going through the courts.

There isn't a place in Florida that you can obtain an easement or right to someone else's property without going through a court and suing the property owner. Walton county is not exempt of these basic legal requirements. Blaming others because they understood these very basic legal principles that are taught in law 101 and in place since Florida's founding seems unnatural.

If it truly is about just a handful of beach owners - then the appropriate action is to sue them. I'm not keeping any locals off my property, but I object to being forced by fiat to handle unlimited populations and overcrowding density. It's not fair or right for you or anyone else to ask me to take on this public burden.

While I can understand your good intentions, the methods have been far from innocent.

Shannon

Last edited:

Robert D

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2008
www.seasidefl.com
Too bad we didn't take care of our business before Huckabee moved here.

He barged in and built a giant mansion in a quiet neighborhood, lit it up like Christmas, and built a 12 foot brick wall around it. Not neighborly. He doesn't belong here and is not welcomed by anyone except a few who buy into his particular brand of charlatanism.

@Shannon Lince seems to be of the same ilk. Barging onto the forum and trying to push people around. Only interested in forcing her opinion onto others. Not a good community member.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
Too bad we didn't take care of our business before Huckabee moved here.

He barged in and built a giant mansion in a quiet neighborhood, lit it up like Christmas, and built a 12 foot brick wall around it. Not neighborly. He doesn't belong here and is not welcomed by anyone except a few who buy into his particular brand of charlatanism.

@Shannon Lince seems to be of the same ilk. Barging onto the forum and trying to push people around. Only interested in forcing her opinion onto others. Not a good community member.

You make a lot of assumptions and exactly who are you to decide who is belongs here and who doesn't?

Shannon

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Me thinks someone didnt research where they were moving to and went on emotions alone when buying in a resort area. Now they realize its not all rainbows and unicorn farts in paradise and want to turn it into something different than what it is and to be more like THEIR idea of what it should be. Good luck with that.

Amp22

Beach Fanatic
Jan 11, 2005
Me thinks someone didnt research where they were moving to and went on emotions alone when buying in a resort area. Now they realize its not all rainbows and unicorn farts in paradise and want to turn it into something different than what it is and to be more like THEIR idea of what it should be. Good luck with that.
Haha we gots rednecks

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Haha we gots rednecks
Yep...had one woman ask us not to disturb the peaceful nature of Pt. Washington with fireworks not too long ago. I hated to burst her bubble when I told her that she was in the middle of a wildlife management area and that they probably weren't fireworks.
:whitetrash:

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Referring to the subject of this Thread, Governor Huckabee was using the private beach narrative all the way back to 2015 when the BFO's mobilized to stop beach nourishment. An act that would have nullified this quiet title bid(s). Well, he has one. We will see if he gets another one on the property he just bought next door.

It is clear the Walton County Board of Commissioners are eying up these quiet titles for challenges. The Headland case appears to have possibly been an intentional a pass made by the beachfront owners, lawyers to perhaps avoid a precedent loss on a quiet title. They dropped their bid. It was good news and a surprise at the recent BCC meeting but you have to wonder why they dropped it.

Anyway, an interesting read on Governor Huckabee's efforts to stop beach nourishment. The one thing I agreed with him on was the sand must be pure when the do it. I think Beachfront owners will change their tune on beach nourishment if we get a Cat 4 hurricane and 15 foot tidal surges. People forget quickly but I don't. The truth is armoring and geo tubes do nothing to stop a 15 to 20 tidal surge. Wedding cake slices off the primary dune bluff and homes falling into the sea. One storm and they will be screaming for beach nourishment and that will change everything again. I've never been a fan of beach nourishment either but I've changed my mind.

Huckabee Battles a Government Initiative (In His Florida Neighborhood)

Should there be such a storm, and sooner or later there will be, private properties, including beaches, should be repaired/restored with private, not public, money. I think your opinion that private owners would be screaming for public funds in such instance is totally unfounded and, given the recent, current, and foreseeable circumstances, entirely likely to be 180 degrees from the truth.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
What a thing to say.

My neighborhood beach has been private since the 1970's. I don't purchase property on emotions, and I am well aware of what it has been and what it is now. I have several neighbors who have been here since the beginning and are not approving of what is going on here. Those are the ones I feel for, they are fully retired and on fixed incomes, they shouldn't have to spend their retirement funds they worked all their lives for, to defend against you all, fighting for property they have owned for over 40 years. It's a disgrace.

I will agree that we (my husband and I) were sold a bill of goods, about the area and the people. We have met some good people, some wonderful people and more awful ones more than I imagined could exist in a quaint beach town.

Believe me we regret trying to make a home here. This isn't what nice people do to each other. Called every name in the book, not welcome here, don't belong, not legitimate, views not valid, not part of the community, mean, greedy, selfish, be nice (which means to roll over) or leave, including criminal acts - all because I bought a single family home and moved here. I had not done anything to anyone. This sure as heck isn't the South I grew up in.

But I will tell you this. To get to the several 70+ year old retired neighbors of mine, you are going have to go through me first.

Shannon
Sounds like it's time to move on and find a place you can enjoy your remaining years.