• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
Seems that the thrust of that blog article at Editor's Opinion: Maybe Political Satire isn't for you? Or Maybe it's just for you! is that the ugly signs, chains, etc., are expression of political satire. Really? Or is that satire also? I get the feeling that the folks opposed to CU in this thread are just trying to goad pro CU folks into making comments that can be used in the opposition's lawsuit. Maybe not but I have a suspicious mind.
Me thinks you indeed have suspicious mind.
The Logic in the article is this - PP signs are a result of #occupythebeach militant activists threatening homeowners. It was a defensive move against a mob offense.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Seems that the thrust of that blog article at Editor's Opinion: Maybe Political Satire isn't for you? Or Maybe it's just for you! is that the ugly signs, chains, etc., are expression of political satire. Really? Or is that satire also? I get the feeling that the folks opposed to CU in this thread are just trying to goad pro CU folks into making comments that can be used in the opposition's lawsuit. Maybe not but I have a suspicious mind.

For what it's worth, MRBS, there are whole pages/groups of things that CU folks have already said on social media. Nobody needs to keep stirring the pot to get people on either side to say derogatory things. I thought the satire article was very interesting. I'm not a fan of satire because of the shaming intent, but I do enjoy facts and constructively expressed opinions. I found both in that article.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Saw an expanded version of this message on twitter. It resonated with me:

One the most precious and rare gifts we can give each other is to actually listen without bias. People have a need to be heard and listened to.

It goes both ways and here on SOWAL, we have that opportunity. Let's don't take it for granted. You never know, we might learn something.

L.C. Bane

Beach Fanatic
Aug 8, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I get the feeling that the folks opposed to CU in this thread are just trying to goad pro CU folks into making comments that can be used in the opposition's lawsuit. Maybe not but I have a suspicious mind.

Something doesn't feel right about this entire thread. Can't put my finger on it but it doesn't seem genuine for some reason. Reads more like a game of chess rather than a discussion. Lots of subtle taunts and manipulation.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Something doesn't feel right about this entire thread. Can't put my finger on it but it doesn't seem genuine for some reason. Reads more like a game of chess rather than a discussion. Lots of subtle taunts and manipulation.
"goad pro CU folks into making comments that can be used in the opposition's lawsuit." Manipulation? How and for what purpose? As Fact or Fiction said there is noting more those opposed to property rights can do except tear down private property signs or act on social media video allegedly showing harm to beachfront owners.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yes, you are right. Teresa said it correctly a long time ago. It's propaganda. It's gaslighting. Beginning with the bogus title of the thread and continuing with a barrage of misinformation, it is quite reminiscent of Nazi tactics used to dominate the media. No wait, I'm going to take that back. Definitely not Nazi. No way. Just bloviating and badgering.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Yes, you are right. Teresa said it correctly a long time ago. It's propaganda. It's gaslighting. Beginning with the bogus title of the thread and continuing with a barrage of misinformation, it is quite reminiscent of Nazi tactics used to dominate the media. No wait, I'm going to take that back. Definitely not Nazi. No way. Just bloviating and badgering.

Thanks for adding to my vocabulary! Unfortunately, since the word bloviating has an inherent negativity to it, I probably won't get many opportunities to use it. I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. Demeaning and derogatory communications don't work very well for me. I still appreciate learning a new word though.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
TOO MUCH!!!

If this were a chess game, it would have been over a long time ago as chess doesn’t depend on bluff or “emotion” as does poker.

To me, this thread has been more about the way BFOs have been disrespected with such ill-will and misinformation by the “carnival barkers” mentioned in post #1 as well as others.

Still, to continue beating a dead horse (which is actually still kicking BTW), nobody here will acknowledge the most egregious thing a person can say about a group of people...that they acted like Nazis (“Jewish grandparents immigrated to this country because of oppression like this.”) Again this was comparing “oppression” to BFOs protecting their private property.

Until one of you guys on the CU side admit that this was a pretty lowly statement from Daniel Uhlfelder, all the “disagrees” and “dislikes” mean ZERO. Somebody needs to speak up against this, not just me. If not, it speaks volumes about our community and human nature.

So far, Dave Rauschkolb has chosen not to do so. Speaking of chess games, I wonder why?

Last edited: