• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
The beaches have always been shared, and the sand is not taxed so get real.
Let’s pretend.
Imagine 2 IDENTICAL beach front homes that are for sale.

One home sold the beach to the county for public use. And as such, lots of tourists pile in and take over leaving little to no room for the homeowner or guests.

The other home maintained control of the beach they owned and could always enjoy the use of their property without having to compete for space, tolerate occasional disrespecting tourists, and so on.

Now if one was in the market to buy a beach front home, it is likely (massive understatement) that more would be paid for the home that had the private beach.

And one’s property tax is simply based on the valuation of one’s property, period. So the home with private beach would be paying more. If my understanding is incorrect in this regard, PLEASE enlighten me.

Last edited:

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
If it was a public beach, they probably couldn’t hear themselves reflecting.
Having a front row seat to unguarded humanity may not be a pretty thing but I bet it is pretty interesting. Maybe instead of seeing it as an intrusion, try seeing it as an opportunity for enlightenment.

Hotzn

Beach Comber
Jun 23, 2017
SRB
I totally agree with ShallowsNoles post. I don't think any part of the beach should be private but I also side with the BFOs not wanting to give up their property to the county. I own off the beach and the majority of the time use the beaches at the larger public access points. We occasionally go to the smaller access points and will set up a couple of chairs and umbrella in front of private homes next to the access.
We spend the day enjoying the beautiful gulf and beach and are respectful of the BFOs space. No loud music, no trash, no large groups with canopies side by side that make the beach look like tent city. We pick up other people's trash on both public and private land and always leave the area better than we found it. I don't think MOST BFOs have a problem with this. Although I'm sure there are a few.
One BFO who I was told is big horses ass ( no, it's not the guy with plastic chains all the way down to the water) was standing on his balcony one day when we were sitting just to the side of his beach. As I was walking to the trash to throw some garbage away I saw a water bottle directly in front of his house near the dunes. I walked over and picked it up and he gave me a pleasant wave. We later played some paddle ball on his beach to avoid bothering others that were sitting near us. Not a word from the owner. We were being respectful. I think that's all they want.
We all bought property, moved, plan to move and vacation in this area for a reason. It's a great place and great community. I don't know what the solution is but we need to all work together, get along and keep it that way. Maybe it's just that simple. Wouldn't that be nice?

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
I totally agree with ShallowsNoles post. I don't think any part of the beach should be private but I also side with the BFOs not wanting to give up their property to the county. I own off the beach and the majority of the time use the beaches at the larger public access points. We occasionally go to the smaller access points and will set up a couple of chairs and umbrella in front of private homes next to the access.
We spend the day enjoying the beautiful gulf and beach and are respectful of the BFOs space. No loud music, no trash, no large groups with canopies side by side that make the beach look like tent city. We pick up other people's trash on both public and private land and always leave the area better than we found it. I don't think MOST BFOs have a problem with this. Although I'm sure there are a few.
One BFO who I was told is big horses ass ( no, it's not the guy with plastic chains all the way down to the water) was standing on his balcony one day when we were sitting just to the side of his beach. As I was walking to the trash to throw some garbage away I saw a water bottle directly in front of his house near the dunes. I walked over and picked it up and he gave me a pleasant wave. We later played some paddle ball on his beach to avoid bothering others that were sitting near us. Not a word from the owner. We were being respectful. I think that's all they want.
We all bought property, moved, plan to move and vacation in this area for a reason. It's a great place and great community. I don't know what the solution is but we need to all work together, get along and keep it that way. Maybe it's just that simple. Wouldn't that be nice?
And there it is. THAT! THAT is the legacy of 30A.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't think any part of the beach should be private but I also side with the BFOs not wanting to give up their property to the county. I own off the beach and the majority of the time use the beaches at the larger public access points. We occasionally go to the smaller access points and will set up a couple of chairs and umbrella in front of private homes next to the access.
Thanks Hotzn for the sentiment. Most have point fingers at beachfront owners and repeat over and over that this is a recent problem caused by beachfront owners privatizing already private property? Unfortunately past (as far back as 2007) and present Walton Commissioners only had the political will to litigate an ancient English common law doctrine of custom against 1,200 private property beachfront parcels and 4,600 beachfront owners making owners of at least 650+ parcels (2,300+? owners) angry. Fanned by CU activists who’s strategy is to repeat over and over again uneducated untruths, malicious innuendo and incite the majority to raise up because they just believe they are just and beachfront owners are unjust, not based on the rule of law, but because they want what they want regardless of the law. The Ends seem to Justify the Means. Custom is a legal doctrine. Not a political or economic doctrine and should be decided strictly on the law. Not what a majority believe or a partisan poll.

Beach use is an economic supply and demand problem and failed growth management problem of the elected (political) Walton Commissioner’s own making looking for a quick (relative to a political solution) legal solution in a adversarial (by design) legal system that have already cost tax payers and property owners (who are a large % of the tax payer revenue) more than a million dollars to date, and won’t likely end for many many years and multi-millions of tax payers dollars. I wonder how much infrastructure Commissioners could buy with the money litigating customary use of private property? Commissioners get more votes supporting CU than supporting property rights or promising more roads and sewer systems.

So far not one CU advocate has disputed any verifiable property right facts on this thread with 418 posts but have offered, I just "believe" CU is so and so does the majority, lots of shout downs, and name calling. Unfortunately the point of; can’t we all just get along, has past. Thanks to present inept Walton Commissioners, County Administrator, CU advocates, and REALTORS who want what they want regardless of the costs in time, money, or ill will. I will never list my beachfront property with a Walton REALTOR whose CEO and President advocate for CU of private property (unless that REALTOR disavows CU like some have), regardless of the legal outcome.

Most beachfront owners have and will share with respectful property users. There are about 13 miles (67,704 feet) out of 26 miles of public beachfront, seaward of west Walton beaches Erosion Control Line parcels, 3 beachfront State parks (which are not free to public access, unlike private beachfront owners who pay taxes for the public to their own property?), and Walton tax payer owned beachfront. There is 26 miles of foreshore for public use. Is that not enough for your public use?

The Mean High Water Line-in-the-sand has been drawn and I for one am not willing to settle for anything less than recognition and respect of our deeded property and all littoral property rights we pay taxes for the privilege to use for our exclusive enjoyment if we so choose. Property rights all Walton property owners have had since 1776 and have today; unless a judge rules otherwise FIRST. We have shared our beachfront for decades, with few exceptions, but I’m not inclined to with many others any more given the litigation and anti-social media vitriol. Although I disagree with “ I don't think any part of the beach should be private”. Would like to know on what legal basis? Thanks for your civil discourse, recognition and respectful use of beachfront owner's property.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hotzn

Beach Comber
Jun 23, 2017
SRB
I can understand why you disagree. Maybe I'd feel the same way if I was fortunate enough to own beach front property. I'd like to think if I did, that I wouldn't be the grumpy "get off my lawn" guy.
I'd be ok with good, respectful people enjoying the beach on the property that I paid for and pay taxes on. I wouldn't be ok with vendors setting up shop, gangs of noisy unruly spring/summer breakers and people that bring everything but the kitchen sink to the beach and leave trash behind.
I get the impression that most BFOs feel this way.

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
I can understand why you disagree. Maybe I'd feel the same way if I was fortunate enough to own beach front property. I'd like to think if I did, that I wouldn't be the grumpy "get off my lawn" guy.
I'd be ok with good, respectful people enjoying the beach on the property that I paid for and pay taxes on. I wouldn't be ok with vendors setting up shop, gangs of noisy unruly spring/summer breakers and people that bring everything but the kitchen sink to the beach and leave trash behind.
I get the impression that most BFOs feel this way.
Hotzn, You are describing a 30A beach environment that represents our true 30A Legacy. So, would you agree that

A) There are still plenty of private and public beaches in South Walton that one might visit to quietly and politely enjoy a thoroughly conflict free beach experience.

Or

B) Beach Property Owners have all put up signs and chains and have completely kept all of the public off of the vast majority of South Walton Beaches?