• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
any thoughts out there on how to improve the current system????

Just a thought-

California was a pioneer and early adopter of enforcing the seat belt law. I read an article that said that of all the campaigns that were used to get folks to buckle up that the ones that were most effective included messaging about the fines. No scare tactics about death or injuries. No crash dummies. Signage and ads that say something like-

Maximum Seatbelt Fine
$200

this was so effective that now they do it for carpool lane, no left/right turn, red light, etc.

SO-

I have known about double reds for a long time. Good stuff out there on flags and riptides. I hear about the drownings in the area more often than I care to. I consider myself informed and a seeker of information-

Today is the first time I heard about the $100 fine...

I was walking on the beach tonight- what a sky tonight- WOW but I digress-
I picked up a piece of trash in the sand and it was a $100 citation written to someone for swimming while the double reds were flying...

We should post a very dry/boring sign that alludes to the fine...

Thoughts?

G

Last edited:

Doubtfire

Beach Comber
Apr 22, 2008
This is very sad, I think I know where this happened, and the flags are a good 600-1000' away. There should be a flag pole at every public access! The private access should be required to be put up by the owners. 1 life might have been saved. Easy to blame the individual, we have no idea what he did or did not know. What we do know is he is dead. The problem is visibility of these flags. If you can not see them, what you do or do not know about them does not matter. Tragic as this is, we need to help make these flags more visible to help prevent another loss and a family grieving. Doubtfire

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
For rental companies and private owners who rent, the last time I was at the TDC getting stuff they have the following:

Magnets for fridges
Stickers for windows and stainless steel fridges
Clings for windows
Pamphlets
Coloring books for kids
Guide to life guarded beaches and the flag system

There are plenty of FREE things to help rental companies and owners out. Remember it's all paid for by the bed tax you are collecting.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I don't get this.

I live 6 to 8 hours from the nearest beach in any direction, and was raised by a mother who can't swim and a (darling!) good-ol'-boy father who doesn't give a crap about flag systems.

Nevertheless, I can't remember a time when I didn't know about warning flags. I look for them on every beach on every coast, and if I can't see one, I walk a little ways until I can. If I don't find one, I proceed with extreme caution. If the sea is not glassy and smooth, I assume that it's lousy with rip currents, undertow, and dangerous marine life until I can figure otherwise.

I'm not a rocket scientist, and I'm not paranoid. I understand personal responsibility and common sense. I hate to think that I'm unusual in this respect.

kingfishn

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach
www.myspace.com
As rough as the Gulf has been lately (and a TS skimming south of us)...I don't think I would
need two red flags to tell me to stay out of the water. My understanding, correct me if
I'm wrong....well don't need to say that)...but, the FIRST two folks that drowned in PCB
last weekend (with DBL red flags flying) ..were also warned by Bay County Deputies to
get out of the water.

Okay, 'they' are not from here...and I'm not from Hawaii...but...don't think I need 'flags' to
tell me NOT to go jump in 4 to 6 foot waves with a $4.99 float. Don't care if the flags were
3 thousand miles away in Alabama.

Flags...and 'Seymour the Safety Crab'...'ain't' gonna do it. (or is the SeeMore?)

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I am willing to bet that the peeps that got citations were warned first....at least I hope so.

Most vacationers know about the flag system. It is on brochures they receive, it's posted in their accommodations, it's on beach TV, it's on the public beach accesses, it's a national flag system, not to mention word of mouth and the beach safety personel.

I am all for making the flag system more visible to all visitors and locals too.......any thoughts out there on how to improve the current system????

I have long thought that SeeMore the Crab is too trival for a serious warning system. It is designed for a child audience. It is a good slogan for the children perhaps; and it seems more of the children are aware of the flag system than the adults; but, it does not do justice to the
seriousness of the rip currents and perhaps does more harm because the adults just think it is something for the kids to pay attention to.

I think the SWFD could commission a very serious warning emblem and market that, along with the notice of the fine. The Beach Service companies could help distribute the materials.

Any local graphic artists willing to design it? Would be a service to the community as well as helping to save our tourists.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I have long thought that SeeMore the Crab is too trival for a serious warning system. It is designed for a child audience. It is a good slogan for the children perhaps; and it seems more of the children are aware of the flag system than the adults; but, it does not do justice to the
seriousness of the rip currents and perhaps does more harm because the adults just think it is something for the kids to pay attention to.

I think the SWFD could commission a very serious warning emblem and market that, along with the notice of the fine. The Beach Service companies could help distribute the materials.

Any local graphic artists willing to design it? Would be a service to the community as well as helping to save our tourists.

Good thinking! Has anyone researched systems other beach communities use?

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

GREAT point! I agree.
But I get the impression that the TDC et al don't want skull and crossbones or anything else that scares tourists. The trick is making folks aware without triggering emotion, I guess.

What I hear from everyone who swims with double reds flying is-

"Well those guys over there are swimming so it must be okay"...

This applies to beach tents overnight and just about anything else...

:dunno:

UGH

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kingfishn, you nailed it! If you needed a sign or flag waved in your face yesterday, to encourage you to stay out of the Gulf, you are a sad case in need of great help.

As for the suggestion of posting signs warning of the fine, signs noting the $200 fine for driving on the beach without a permit don't stop the Cadillac (car) drivers from giving it a whirl, burrying the car up to the frame as soon as they get off the pavement. Some people are just stupid, and you cannot fix stupid. The way that Darwin's theory of Evolution works is that someone may have a stupid brother or father who goes swimming under adverse conditions and drowns. All of the other family members decide that they won't be doing that, and so they get a little smarter, and pass on those genes.