• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
So... as always there are differing views and perspectives, those who oppose the street collections-let's put our money where our (in this case) our keyboards are. I will donate $100 to MDA and deliver it to SWFD HQ today. Goodwich-will you match me???

If MDA is not you charity of choice today is World Autism Day.

Have a good Easter!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Maybe the "southern thing" is generosity. ;-)

Generosity is a human thing.

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” Buddha

Unfortunately, I found out recently that unless someone else is getting credit or is picky about the candle lit, that generosity of time or input gets blown out with the candle. Even if one can't do anything, the respect of a response, when asked, is even generous in it itself.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I haven't had any problems - safety or otherwise - with the firefighters doing the boot thing at 395/30-a.

Everyone is required to stop there, it is only a 2 lane road, and they know what they are doing.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
They are at an intersection where EVERYONE must stop for a stop sign.

Anyone doing any of the aforementioned things while driving shouldn't be on the road! :angry:
Yes, all must stop for the stop sign, but when a driver stops to put money in, and fails to go when it is his or her turn, that messes up the four way stop system, which causes a cluster and potentially wrecks.

Desso, you stated that they HAVE to do the in-the-road soliciting, because it is a fact. That is not true. There are alternatives, and whether or not they are less profitable is beside the point.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
murray, I won't argue with you about what a "fact" is, what "have to" means, or what is or isn't the point. We've stated our position and ne'er the twain shall meet.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I would only like to clarify that the Council in DeFuniak decided to disapprove permits for this type of fund-raising on major state thoroughfares, ie., state highways, mainly, the very large intersection at U.S.-90 AND U.S.-331 South. There is more then ten lanes of traffic going in different directions and the fundraisers have been in the middle of the intersections, while that traffic is moving. These are not four-way stops or stop signs that they were collecting at. Just FYI.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Isn't the crazy driver at fault and liable?

A good friend of mine was working a wreck, directing traffic, and got hit by a drunk, disabling for the rest of his much to short life. Since he was working he was taken care of, but what if he had been volunteering? All the drunk had and good give to the problem was time for his jail sentence.

HelenM

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2008
A good friend of mine was working a wreck, directing traffic, and got hit by a drunk, disabling for the rest of his much to short life. Since he was working he was taken care of, but what if he had been volunteering? All the drunk had and good give to the problem was time for his jail sentence.

Exactly! Yes, the person who hit your friend was liable, but usually drunks don't have the means to pay retribution. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

HelenM

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2008
They are at an intersection where EVERYONE must stop for a stop sign.

Anyone doing any of the aforementioned things while driving shouldn't be on the road! :angry:

Yes, but people don't always do what they're supposed to!

I agree that people shouldn't be doing those things, but they do -- I saw a woman putting on eyeliner while driving the other day. What about someone who has a heart attack while driving? That's not something intentional, but the people seeking donations could be seriously hurt.

Honestly, I think they should find other methods of fundraising that do not jeopardize their safety.

HelenM

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2008
But, to say that the Firefighters and police can still do it, it pretty ironic. Not the best Leadership by Example that I can think of.

The community is generous to almost all efforts to raise money. Surely some one in the fire department can come up with a better way to collect the money than standing in the middle of a busy intersection! I dare say your collections would not go down simply because you found a safer way to ask for them--and we wouldn't have to explain to our children why the firemen/women are walking in the street in traffic.:bang:
It's not the donation or the asking that is offensive--it's the location and the bad example it sets IMO.

Very well put! Why is it okay for a select group to do it, but not others? :dunno: