• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Unfortunately many of these charities have to do some of their fund-raising this way. I agree it isn't the best of circumstances for anyone, but neither are half the things that go on on our roads. Write a check to these worthwhile organisations and perhaps this will go a long way in curbing this dangerous practice.

Funding an out of state trip for an extracurricular sport for a healthy kid is not my idea of a "charity."

Wash a car, get a job, use your b-day money, you name it!

Last edited:

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
See my above post#2. My point exactly.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Just to give you all a heads up, the Firefighters will be out there for MDA coming up, I will give dates as soon as I know them.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just to give you all a heads up, the Firefighters will be out there for MDA coming up, I will give dates as soon as I know them.

That's fine, I have no problem with that. I'd much rather we as a county just paid our civil servants who put their lives on the line for us a living wage, but until then I'll happily fill up the boot.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
I thought the boot was for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I don't think the firemen get a cut.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The reason I don't have a problem w/ the uniformed firefighters or cops doing it is that they know what they are doing and have been doing it at certain locations for years - working near/in traffic and idiots is a daily occurrence for them.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Unfortunately many of these charities have to do some of their fund-raising this way. ....

Why do you state this? They are not required by law. If standing in the road is the only way they can raise funds, perhaps the cause isn't worthy enough, or perhaps they need to learn of the numerous other ways in which non-profits are raising money in 2010.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
I state this because it is a fact. Call and ask them yourself. I consider the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Association for Retarded Citizens, The Special Olympics worthy of my stop light/sign donation. This method is not the only one used by these organisations for fund-raising and of course there is no law requiring them do it this way. I'm sure most of the people doing it for these charities would rather do it another way. The bottom line is it works. Other than time and a bucket, you have no expenses. Compare that to telemarketing, mailer campaigns, begging hotshots and corporations, which are all very expensive and ineffective and you find it is pretty efficient. Is it the safest way? No. No argument there. If people feel this strongly about not allowing it, so be it. I'll send in my check.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

Out of curiosity, what happens if one of those guys gets hit by a crazy driver? Do they go out on a disability retirement or since it is a volunteer thing they just use whatever insurance THEY purchased themselves?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I state this because it is a fact. Call and ask them yourself. I consider the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Association for Retarded Citizens, The Special Olympics worthy of my stop light/sign donation. This method is not the only one used by these organisations for fund-raising and of course there is no law requiring them do it this way. I'm sure most of the people doing it for these charities would rather do it another way. The bottom line is it works. Other than time and a bucket, you have no expenses. Compare that to telemarketing, mailer campaigns, begging hotshots and corporations, which are all very expensive and ineffective and you find it is pretty efficient. Is it the safest way? No. No argument there. If people feel this strongly about not allowing it, so be it. I'll send in my check.

So how do we decide what is worthy and what is not of using this method?