• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
WE don't. I decide for myself and the county powers do what they may.

HelenM

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2008
Right .... it's not about the charity, or whether it's a worthwhile cause ... it's dangerous & stupid & obnoxious to have people standing in the middle of the road. I can't imagine it's legal and, more important, it's just a bad idea. Make them stop please.

I totally agree with you! You never know who is on the road that could hit a volunteer due to texting, putting on makeup, having a seizure, etc.

Why don't they bag groceries at Winn Dixie, like the groups from the FWB Schools do? Or do car washes (like someone else suggested), or walk-a-thons/5K runs?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I totally agree with you! You never know who is on the road that could hit a volunteer due to texting, putting on makeup, having a seizure, etc.

Why don't they bag groceries at Winn Dixie, like the groups from the FWB Schools do? Or do car washes (like someone else suggested), or walk-a-thons/5K runs?

They are at an intersection where EVERYONE must stop for a stop sign.

Anyone doing any of the aforementioned things while driving shouldn't be on the road! :angry:

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
I hate to do it, but I must. Using the logic above, what about runners, walkers, and cyclists? They are allowed on the road, in sometimes even more dangerous circumstances. Even in your car, everyday, you risk life and limb when venturing on to our highways and roads. The number of deaths from running, walking, and cycling on the road surely outnumber those of people collecting for charity at intersections. And you should never text, put on make-up, or have a seizure while driving. It's dangerous.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Just to give you all a heads up, the Firefighters will be out there for MDA coming up, I will give dates as soon as I know them.

I just think it's odd that Firefighters and Police utilize collections methods that could be deemed hazardous...
1) traffic / intersection collections
2) phone campaigns when they themselves warn people to be wary of phone scams

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Out of curiosity, what happens if one of those guys gets hit by a crazy driver? Do they go out on a disability retirement or since it is a volunteer thing they just use whatever insurance THEY purchased themselves?

Isn't the crazy driver at fault and liable?

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
The only people I ever see panhandling in New York are homeless bums. :roll:

Is this a Southern thing because I even see it on FB? Just asking for money to make life easier for the recipient without having to have to work for it? Asking for something for nothing? Like it's a right? because they are God fearing? I even get this with my rental properties. "We are a good Christian family and can only afford xyz"- (usually half my rate) Well then, find something in your Budget or stay home.

If you going to have a fundraiser, then at least have it off the street, offer some kind of entertainment or awareness media, but for God's sake, stop the begging and if you do ask for something, be reasonable.

FTLOG, I saw a woman from FL ask for medical expenses to see a physician in WA state - the best- and claims she can only fly on a private jet, must find housing for her dog too. The woman is on the brink of death and one would think she would just be happy too get her arse to the Dr. I am thinking a private chef will be next on the list.

I could see if some kid was trying to raise money for a good cause, like Haiti or starving children in Africa, (out of traffic), but I could care less about your cheerleading competition or baseball camp. I do give money to children I know, but at least they have the decency to come and mow my lawn or shovel my walk without asking.

<off rant>

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
As someone who has for many years participated with the Fire Fighters Fill the Boot campaign for MDA, I can remember the days when we worked some pretty dangerous intersections so, I also understand the reason we moved to Scenic Gulf Dr and 30A for this Fundraiser. The Fill the Boot campaign has been going on since before I started my carrer as a Fire Fighter and traditionally we have held it once a year. This is our way of giving to a national charity and giving those of you who would, the opportunity to give. As we have stood on those streets we have seen the generousity of our Communities. At the end of the day that makes the Fire Fighters the Organization the writes the biggest check to MDA and its all because of a partnership between us, who hold the boot, and you, those who give. Firefighters also are involved in other Charities, and fundraisers are done for them also. South Walton Professional Fire Fighters and Dispatchers, with our spouses, children and friends were involved in Relay for Life this past weekend, where other methods of fundraising were utilized. We have been involved in the past with Sharing and Caring where the Sisters and Brothers have taken money from their pockets to purchase gifts. We are in this community, as a part of the whole, and this is a fundraiser that we do every year. I am truly sorry that this offends some, but I know in this area we have also been very generous to the MDA.

Thanks

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
for yearsI have ranted about the lack of safety at these stop sign intersection collections, and I always wondered why law enforcement allowed it...I was delighted to see that finally someone put a stop to it.

But, to say that the Firefighters and police can still do it, it pretty ironic. Not the best Leadership by Example that I can think of.

The community is generous to almost all efforts to raise money. Surely some one in the fire department can come up with a better way to collect the money than standing in the middle of a busy intersection! I dare say your collections would not go down simply because you found a safer way to ask for them--and we wouldn't have to explain to our children why the firemen/women are walking in the street in traffic.:bang:
It's not the donation or the asking that is offensive--it's the location and the bad example it sets IMO.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The only people I ever see panhandling in New York are homeless bums. :roll:

Is this a Southern thing because I even see it on FB? Just asking for money to make life easier for the recipient without having to have to work for it? Asking for something for nothing? Like it's a right? because they are God fearing?

Maybe the "southern thing" is generosity. ;-)