• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Going to that liquor store was your first mistake. IIRC there's one next to Winn Dixie across the street?

Very rarely do I go there (to Qwiker). Sometimes I'm already there cuz I'm shopping at Publix and I'm in a rush and need to get somewhere else before it closes. Something like that where I'm running late and every minute counts, I might hold my nose and and go into Qwiker Likker. But you are right, Winn Dixie has a good liquor store.

lms47

Beach Lover
Apr 23, 2008
Freeport, FL
If I ask the clerk for advice on some type of special drink/liquor or ask them to suggest a good one for a guest I will be serving; then, I would throw some money in the tip jar.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
I tip at most take out places as I am glad those folks are working. Most do a job a that many Americans would not do. As for someone who is a cashier, I do not tip. I did that job for 3 years and did not expect at tip...it was MY JOB!

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
Am I supposed to leave a tip when I order a small (black) coffee through the Starbuck's drive-thru? I usually get my morning coffee (or mocha) at the McDonald's near my neighborhood, and they are not set up to receive tips either at the drive-thru or inside at the "McCafe," but yesterday morning, McDonald's wasn't on my route and Starbuck's was, and I noticed they had some type of tip depository protruding out from the building next to the drive-thru window. I had already paid $0.50 more for a similar cup of coffee which, in my taste opinion, was not as good as the McDonald's coffee. As far as the Mochas, Frappes, etc., McD's employees make those upon order, just as the people at Starbuck's do, but there is no tipping equipment at McD's.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Am I supposed to leave a tip when I order a small (black) coffee through the Starbuck's drive-thru? I usually get my morning coffee (or mocha) at the McDonald's near my neighborhood, and they are not set up to receive tips either at the drive-thru or inside at the "McCafe," but yesterday morning, McDonald's wasn't on my route and Starbuck's was, and I noticed they had some type of tip depository protruding out from the building next to the drive-thru window. I had already paid $0.50 more for a similar cup of coffee which, in my taste opinion, was not as good as the McDonald's coffee. As far as the Mochas, Frappes, etc., McD's employees make those upon order, just as the people at Starbuck's do, but there is no tipping equipment at McD's.
Now, this is just plain EXTREME!!!! Starbucks is a racket anyway and I do NOT go there...much rather go to our wonderful local Amavida!!!

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Key West is the capital of all people wanting tips, the corner store has a tip jar even!!

I agree to tip some on a take out order because they pack up your togo and often are throwing in your condiments and such that you've requested.

Here's my subquestion, do you tip at a restaurant where you stand in line to order, get your own drink and refills and they bring your food to you (non-fast food joint)? I also wonder if I tip when I pay at the beginning at such restaurants, do they share the tip with the person that delivered my food?

Further question, if you stand in line to order, get your own drink and pick up your own food (non-fast food joint), do you tip?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It really varies - if you're a real restaurant who is doing counter ordering but it's just food running, but you do a good job, etc. I'll tip you - but not 20% - more like 10-15%.

Given my shy and retiring manner:sarc:, I ask when I am unsure, but then never know if I am getting the polite or real response.

I must say that Smiling Fish does this for lunch and I never feel like I am getting it right tip wise - combined the employees do all that a typical waitress/waiter does, but the way it is set up makes me feel like I am shortchanging other waitstaff who come to my table and take my order if I tip the same way. But I feel like I am shortchanging them if I tip less because they do almost the same thing and have good service. :dunno:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

please tip whenever you can!
Starbucks, as well as other coffee shops, gives me very good coffee when I need it and I appreciate their service. If I can tip, I will!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It really varies - if you're a real restaurant who is doing counter ordering but it's just food running, but you do a good job, etc. I'll tip you - but not 20% - more like 10-15%.

Given my shy and retiring manner:sarc:, I ask when I am unsure, but then never know if I am getting the polite or real response.

I must say that Smiling Fish does this for lunch and I never feel like I am getting it right tip wise - combined the employees do all that a typical waitress/waiter does, but the way it is set up makes me feel like I am shortchanging other waitstaff who come to my table and take my order if I tip the same way. But I feel like I am shortchanging them if I tip less because they do almost the same thing and have good service. :dunno:

I think they pool tips, which means you're taking care of everyone.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think they pool tips, which means you're taking care of everyone.

I don't really know how they do it, nor do I really care. JUST TIP good and often.

Had an awesome salmon special at Smiling Fish on Thursday for lunch. YUMMMMMMMMMM - still one of my favorite places on 30A - and has been for years!

Last edited: