• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
If you can afford to order "take out", you can afford to leave a tip.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
If places like McDonald's and KFC had tip jars, would you leave a tip? That is take-out in a sense and the workers put a lot of time into packaging your food. Should you tip the person at the drive-thru window? Or maybe this tip on take-out rule only applies to establishments that also provide full restaurant service with servers waiting on customers at tables. Maybe fast food doesn't apply. If that's the case, how slow (or freshly cooked) does the food have to be before you decide a tip is necessary. Just adding food for thought, no pun intended.

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
P.S. -- Y'all come see me at the Seagrove Village Market! You'll be SO glad you did!

Always one of my first stops...even if for the tea alone. Now, I'll have another reason. :wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
If places like McDonald's and KFC had tip jars, would you leave a tip? That is take-out in a sense and the workers put a lot of time into packaging your food. Should you tip the person at the drive-thru window? Or maybe this tip on take-out rule only applies to establishments that also provide full restaurant service with servers waiting on customers at tables. Maybe fast food doesn't apply. If that's the case, how slow (or freshly cooked) does the food have to be before you decide a tip is necessary. Just adding food for thought, no pun intended.

fast food chains are tipless. You order at the counter or window, pay, pick up and drive off, hoping to have all your order in the bag along with a dozen packets of ketchup. I suppose its part of what makes fast food more economical.

when I order pizza and pick it up - its kind of like fast food - but I know those folks and no way am I not tipping them - they take care of us! when I order thai for pick up, they pack it up so carefully, including all the little extras you requested, and you know its so delicious that you MUST tip!

Maybe some of it is just your own judgement.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
in case some of you havent noticed.. SOWAL is not where ever you came from. You dont tip PizzaHut. (unless it is the delivery person) well...we DO tip Brunos or Fat Daddys' or the airstream or wherever... There are alot of places that a person takes your order at a counter/window around here that have small tip jars (normally unnoticed) that is a part of that persons claimed wages. It might not seem alot to some people but, when an employer only pays $4.23 per hour and whatever is in that small jar at the end of a shift hopefully makes up to the minimum wage it means alot to the person taking that order. I hate to point this out but most employers in this area will put employees in a "tipped" position to save themselves $3 an hour per employee. Please dont forget that the person taking your order is just working for a living ....

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
in case some of you havent noticed.. SOWAL is not where ever you came from. You dont tip PizzaHut. (unless it is the delivery person) well...we DO tip Brunos or Fat Daddys' or the airstream or wherever... There are alot of places that a person takes your order at a counter/window around here that have small tip jars (normally unnoticed) that is a part of that persons claimed wages. It might not seem alot to some people but, when an employer only pays $4.23 per hour and whatever is in that small jar at the end of a shift hopefully makes up to the minimum wage it means alot to the person taking that order. I hate to point this out but most employers in this area will put employees in a "tipped" position to save themselves $3 an hour per employee. Please dont forget that the person taking your order is just working for a living ....

Is this just about take-out tipping in SoWal or is this just a general discussion about take-out tipping? My personal opinion about this is that the rules are arbitrary and there are no real conventions. My opinion about tipping for a take out order is that it should not be expected, but I do it some of the time. Certainly not as much a percentage as I would for a sit down meal. I think most people feel in their gut that favorite local establishments get the best take-out tips. The closer the restaurant is to a fast food joint, the less they get. There is not always a clear dividing line. Probably on the lowest end of the pecking order are out of town chain restaurants that suck. Again, I go with what seems right, and I think most others do too. For a sit down meal it's a different story. The rules are more rigid and I generally give at least 20%.

Last edited: