• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
But back to the topic at hand.. plz realize that servers,bartenders etc make less than federal minimun wage and it is the IRS that EXPECTS the customer to tip. That is why servers are required to claim those tips (whether they get them or not) based on a percentage of their total sales for the shift. So that person that just bagged your Styrofoam containers is basically PAYING for your convenience if you dont tip.

Yes you should tip for to go orders, I find to orders take a lot more time to prep than a meal in the window taken to a table. Spending time preping to go orders who don't tip, while I could waiting tables and caring for those who do, seems unfair. The rule is simple, if the person serving you is a tipped employee then you tip, it's how this person make their income. If you don't tip for to-go orders then go to an establishment with employees who don't earn their income from tips. To me, not tipping for to go orders is like asking someone to work for nothing.

I picked up a takeout order tonight (in GA). Used a credit card. Added a tip. The surly cashier never looked at the slip. As far as she is concerned, she doesn't know I tipped her. We are regulars, so I know she recognizes us. I will never tip her again.

Same at Dawson's. We love Dawson's, but the servers are so surly that we stopped tipping them. They have always acted as if they were doing us a favor by taking our order. We normally stop by after dinner, and they seem to be anxious to close. I wonder if they're paid until a certain time and want to leave early. We've been there at times that one wouldn't think they'd be closed and when the doors weren't locked, yet they refused to serve us because they said they were closing,

We still go to Dawson's and love the frozen yogurt there, despite the surly employees.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Tipping is subjective and is up to the individual...I always tip for good service, even when it is take out.
Karma...I do believe in it! Bad attitudes (on both sides) at some point, get just rewards ;-)

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I'm reviving this thread because of a new situation. I was at a liquor store and there was a tip jar on the counter. It appears to me that tips are no longer just for food servers. Apparently people in just about any profession will ask for tips. I'm not saying this is wrong, but it's also not wrong for me to ignore it either.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Tipping at a liquor store??? Your kidding right? Maybe if they followed me home and prepared my drink for me.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Tipping at a liquor store??? Your kidding right? Maybe if they followed me home and prepared my drink for me.

Not kidding. It's one of the more expensive liquor stores too. It's the one next to Publix at Carillon Beach. Quiker Liquor I think it's called.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Going to that liquor store was your first mistake. IIRC there's one next to Winn Dixie across the street?