• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Wait just a minute..... someone can have a vacation rental in SoWal (neighboring counties as well I presume), not collect a bed tax, and neither the county or the TDC can verify or enforce the property owner to collect? Or worse, the property owner can collect the tax and pocket it? Tell me this is incorrect please.

This too is my understanding.

No one tracks this...

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
This thread is seriously cracking me up.
I could expound on why the bed tax is exempt from public records, but...it's not my problem anymore. :)

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Thanks, that was fun.:clap:

The problem is that people will actually have to read something to learn the truth....
Bob beat me to it. Basically, a county that elects to self-collect and self-administer the TDT must follow the same rules as the Florida Department of Revenue for disclosure. Ever tried to get anything out of DOR? And (can't believe I'm going to defend them) the Clerk's Office does have enforcement powers. I did it by myself for almost 18 years. Now I'm off to other adventures and I understand they now have three people for that function. Karma...

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Even more interesting is that Okaloosa is giving collection of the TDT back to DOR. DOR's enforcement agent for the Panhandle retired and I do not know if his position was filled or not. So if you want to get away with noncompliance, go to Okaloosa.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Even more interesting is that Okaloosa is giving collection of the TDT back to DOR. DOR's enforcement agent for the Panhandle retired and I do not know if his position was filled or not. So if you want to get away with noncompliance, go to Okaloosa.

Or just stay put right right here in Walton......