• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
They had a gulf front sale at $3,150,000 in July. Very strong! I think Alys beach will be OK.

Many of our dunes were destroyed by violent storms. We are very fortunate that we have all this state land and our dune system seems to be coming back as we speak in those areas. The area should have never allowed building south of 30A but I think we have to be grateful for what we do have and continue to try and educate folks on the importance of our Dunes.

Was that a lot or a lot and home?

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Was that a lot or a lot and home?

A vacant lot. They also sold one in March for $2,130,000. There have been a total of 8 gulf front sales in the area this year. 2 of these are Alys beach. They are also the highest sales by a long shot. Watersound had a good one in July at $1,725,000. The rest of sales are under a million with one last sale at $1,300,000 in Gulf Dunes. This lot was 200' plus deep.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
They had a gulf front sale at $3,150,000 in July. Very strong! I think Alys beach will be OK.

Many of our dunes were destroyed by violent storms. We are very fortunate that we have all this state land and our dune system seems to be coming back as we speak in those areas. The area should have never allowed building south of 30A but I think we have to be grateful for what we do have and continue to try and educate folks on the importance of our Dunes.

Wow! :yikes: Back in the day, Mr. K and I got close to serious with buying something at AB with our dear beloved, Olive. :love: It was our choice for a place for retiring. For us, it came down to location and a lack of infrastructure at the time....well, and the price of that dirt! :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Go find a dune to walk on and let me know where it's at. The few left have to saved, the rest were destroyed or are private. I never thought in my life, we would have to save sand dunes.
The last remaining sand dune recently sold in Grayton Beach. It was right between two big houses.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Not sure why they want to expand/open new phases in Alys Beach when they can't move the property that is already developed. I don't think (but might be wrong) more than a handful of properties have changed hands in Alys in the last two years.

There's at least one big citizen ballot initiative involving voters having new power over growth management that goes up for vote, IIRC, this fall. A lot of developers are concerned about how it would be implemented if it passes, and there are a ton of development companies right now trying to get planning approvals for projects that may be years out because they don't want to deal with voter whim.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
No one is disputing the quality of the Alys Beach development, the fact is that beyond public view, they are attempting to increase density by over one-third through the EAR Amendment that Walton County is in the process of submitting to the State of Florida.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I am not saying that Alys Beach is not supposed to make a profit at the end of the day, I am saying that it is ridiculous to be criticizing one of the few developers who is doing a good job when there are so many truly HORRIBLE developers out there RUINING our environment and community in their quest for the dollar.

There is a right and wrong way to go about things - Alys is doing it the right way and should be applauded for that.

The right way for people who can afford half a million plus (base rates) in a real estate purchases. Alys is an upscale, gated access, rich-yuppie-urbanist-environmentalist community. It's designed for people who feel so guilt ridden about the money they made being capitalists that they now feel compelled to spend hordes of money for perceived atonement. (With the added benefit of being well isolation from the peasant class to boot.) :lol:

Last edited:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
The right way for people who can afford half a million plus (base rates) in a real estate purchases. Alys is an upscale, gated access, rich-yuppie-urbanist-environmentalist community. It's designed for people who feel so guilt ridden about the money they made being capitalists that they now feel compelled to spend hordes of money for perceived atonement. (With the added benefit of being well isolation from the peasant class to boot.) :lol:

I thought it was for folks that make good money and like a quality product. None of them seem to have much guilt as far as I can tell. They just seem a bit burnt out on poor quality stick built florida cottage.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Alys doesn't have a gate and happily lets this peasant roam their streets and attend a variety of funn events (most free to the public).

Few communities on 30-A can make the same claim.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider

Have you spent much time there? Alys Beach's architecture may seem intimidating (though I love it) but the attitude is decidedly not. I have found everything about the place to be friendly and open. It is not gated and they have lots of events there. And they did something no other community has in SoWal, that I know of -- they built a giant playground right on 30A for everyone to enjoy. Amazing!

Alys doesn't have a gate and happily lets this peasant roam their streets and attend a variety of funn events (most free to the public).

Few communities on 30-A can make the same claim.

Exactly. Love Alys, love the great minds behind it. They are good peeps.