And the NO VOTE has it!!

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Misty, Aug 26, 2014.

1. rapunzel

rapunzel Beach Fanatic

It wouldn't necessarily have saved the county money. It would probably have been a break even proposition. If we let the market dictate the price for the most qualified person, then we may have ended up paying $15,000 to $20,000 more for a great professional. On the other hand, the county has to hire a separate attorney for the superintendent every time there is legal action because the superintendent can't use the school board attorney since she is not a school board employee. Since there are at least 22 ESE lawsuits pending now, I think we'd have saved more in attorney's fees than the cost of an experienced, successful superintendents salary. Plus, 9 months out of every 48 the superintendent has to run for reelection. That's a full time job. The large administrative staff that picks up the slack is way more costly than is typical in a non-elected school system.

By the way, public records request have been ignored regarding the cost to the district for the superintendent's separate attorneys' fees.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Misty

Misty Banned

Frankly, don't much care what you believe and there was a civil suit filed in one of the incidents mentioned.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  3. Misty

Misty Banned

Why am I not surprised?

4. Misty

Misty Banned

When we continue to re-cycle the "has beens", thugs and politicians with questionable ethics and criminal associates and/or business partners we get just exactly what we deserve.

5. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

One thing that has not been mentioned here that had a large impact in the North was the recent experience of the BCC ( 5 administrators in 4 years) especially the fact that after all the committees and dog and pony shows they still picked the individual that had been rumored for years. Another factor was the experience of our neighbor to the North, Covington County. They are currently paying 3 superintendents, the current one and the last 2 they fired. So the timing for the referendum was not the best, people did not want either of these examples occurring in the school system. Another factor that I heard often was the disparity in salaries between elected and appointed. As far as the Liberty forum, there was an open invitation in the Herald for all candidates and representatives of issues to attend, speak and answer questions. Their main focus was their own referendum and frankly everything else was just to draw a crowd. But they would have given equal access to anyone because it was a public forum in a public place. Alan Osborne did speak for the YES side at Red Bay so there was representation.

6. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

My apologies, that comment wasn't directed at you.

7. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Luckily we live in Florida where this issue has been addressed through legislation. To use a scare tactic from another state, even if it's a short drive, is pretty low.

8. Danny Glidewell

I know it has been addressed in Florida and I believe that was stated at the public forums. The underlying problem was the unstable leadership and uncertainty in several Alabama counties that are near us. Many people in North Walton have friends and family in South Alabama and they talked to each other about how the system worked there.

9. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

Good riddance.

10. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Again, I'm not sure why we are comparing ourselves to counties in Alabama?

Let me know when those counties decide to start electing their superintendents.

11. Danny Glidewell

No one is comparing anyone, I was simply sharing some of the reasons I had heard people use to state their position. It is what it is.

12. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Did we ever hear why the WCSBA officially opposed the referendum? And spent $10,000 to oppose it?

13. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Nope, and probably never will. They've moved onto the next threat to their power.

14. DaleDalbey

DaleDalbey Beach Fanatic

Thought folks might like this

Attached Files:

15. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I think her name is Bonnie.

16. meggiemom

meggiemom Beach Lover

At the end of the day this is where we still are with our schools. Positive campaigns don't work very well with corrupt dirty politicians.