• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
trader x do you live on 30a? is dsl on 30a? i hear the cable connection is not that good. i also have long term accounts and was scaling in stocks like x,ge,bac,wfc,drys,hd,hig,pru,mos pot the last 2 weeks. some of these stocks took 80% plus hits. the mkt looks stable for now as excitment mounts over pres obama. the masses think he's the messiah and will fix this. they're very wrong. how we got in this mess was the massive printing of money in 2001-2002 when greenspan lowered rates to 1% to head off the stock mkt crash. in turn that money inflated the real estate bubble. FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS THE GOV'T HAS PRINTED MONEY NONSTOP TO HEAD OFF THE NATURAL EBB AND FLOW OF THE BUSINESS CYCLE. i'm very pessimistic on the next 5-10 years as the gov't saving basically bankrupt companies like aig,c and now gm will backfire. it basically sets up another japan were econ growth is 0-2% for years to come as the other side of this historically printing game by the gov't comes back to haunt

Last edited:

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
trader x do you live on 30a? is dsl on 30a? i hear the cable connection is not that good. i also have long term accounts and was scaling in stocks like x,ge,bac,wfc,drys,hd,hig,pru,mos pot the last 2 weeks. some of these stocks took 80% plus hits. the mkt looks stable for now as excitment mounts over pres obama. the masses think he's the messiah and will fix this. they're very wrong. how we got in this mess was the massive printing of money in 2001-2002 when greenspan lowered rates to 1% to head off the stock mkt crash. in turn that money inflated the real estate bubble. FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS THE GOV'T HAS PRINTED MONEY NONSTOP TO HEAD OFF THE NATURAL EBB AND FLOW OF THE BUSINESS CYCLE. i'm very pessimistic on the next 5-10 years as the gov't saving basically bankrupt companies like aig,c and now gm will backfire. it basically sets up another japan were econ growth is 0-2% for years to come as the other side of this historically printing game by the gov't comes back to haunt

No, I am in Atlanta. I am moving to SoWal but it keeps getting delayed. I have no idea about broadband on 30a.

I am likewise pessimistic on the economy. The folks at the Von Mises Institute must be pulling their hair out over the interference with natural business cycles. Obama is prepared to spend upwards of a trillion dollars on public works programs. It will likely backfire and give us a two trillion dollar deficit and who knows what the debt will be by then. Sooner or later, it seems that the giddiness that has plaqued Wall Street will evaporate and we could see some interesting lows in the market.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Good gravy! :blink: Kvetch much?

Yes, there are tough times ahead, but we will be just fine in the long run. The stock market goes up and down - that's why we have names like bull and bear.

Even if it goes to a 2nd Great Depression we will manage. We may be eating Spam (made in the USA and stepping up production BTW) instead of Kobe beef, but we CAN feed ourselves.

No you're right. I've spent too much time in the barbershop and ended up with a mohawk, but then again I don't do subtle.

Like I said, I'm nervous to even bring up the subject, so I appreciate the illustration and exactly why you won't overhear that conversation at Starbu...wait ;-)

Good gravy! :blink: Kvetch much?

Yes, there are tough times ahead, but we will be just fine in the long run. The stock market goes up and down - that's why we have names like bull and bear.

Even if it goes to a 2nd Great Depression we will manage. We may be eating Spam (made in the USA and stepping up production BTW) instead of Kobe beef, but we CAN feed ourselves.

Kvetch huh... Yiddish tribal slang yet hailing from Chi-town area. One of these days we'll bump into each other.

See the links to documents on the right hand side of the page - report covers 330 metropolitan areas. Closest to Walton looks to be Panama City. On balance this data suggests that we're closer to the 9th inning than the 1st.

Should add to the collective wisdom...draw your own conclusions

https://www.nationalcity.com/main/m...analysis/pages/housing-valuation-analysis.asp

If you were in Linens N Things tonight around 9:00 you'd think America was closing up shop. It's always strange when Christmas music is playing and the shelfs are bare. There were red tags on everything left, including the shopping carts and those cool staircases on wheels.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
If you were in Linens N Things tonight around 9:00 you'd think America was closing up shop. It's always strange when Christmas music is playing and the shelfs are bare. There were red tags on everything left, including the shopping carts and those cool staircases on wheels.

You think that's strange...wait till you check out the bare shelves at KB Toys--they filed for a liquidation bankruptcy and asked for immediate "Going Out of Business Sales" in time for the holidays.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122901585422798605.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
You think that's strange...wait till you check out the bare shelves at KB Toys--they filed for a liquidation bankruptcy and asked for immediate "Going Out of Business Sales" in time for the holidays.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122901585422798605.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

This is huge...

http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2008/2008-293.htm

HUGE

A whole bunch of hedge funds and perhaps banks just found out after the close that they lost $50b

How do you tell 300 million people they are broke?

s l o w l e y

and with great authority

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
This is huge...

http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2008/2008-293.htm

HUGE

A whole bunch of hedge funds and perhaps banks just found out after the close that they lost $50b

How do you tell 300 million people they are broke?

s l o w l e y

and with great authority

Yeah, considering the charges leveled against him, his website is a hoot: https://www.madoff.com/dis/display.asp?id=203&mode=1&home=1

Chances are it might get yanked, so here are some highlights:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Global Leader in Trading US Equities

Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC is a leading international market maker. The firm has been providing quality executions for broker-dealers, banks, and financial institutions since its inception in 1960. During this time, Madoff has compiled an uninterrupted record of growth, which has enabled us to continually build our financial resources. With more than $700 million in firm capital, Madoff currently ranks among the top 1% of US Securities firms. Our sophisticated proprietary automation and unparalleled client service delivers an enhanced execution that is virtually unmatched in our industry.

Madoff Securities' clients include scores of leading securities firms, banks and financial institutions from across the United States and around the world. The firm is a leading market-maker in all of the S&P 500 stocks as well as over 350 NASDAQ issues. The firm is known for its fine pricing as well as its ability to execute most orders in seconds.

------------------------------------------------------

The Owner's Name is on the Door

In an era of faceless organizations owned by other equally faceless organizations, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC harks back to an earlier era in the financial world: The owner's name is on the door. Clients know that Bernard Madoff has a personal interest in maintaining the unblemished record of value, fair-dealing, and high ethical standards that has always been the firm's hallmark. Bernard L. Madoff founded the investment firm that bears his name in 1960, soon after leaving law school. His brother, Peter B. Madoff, graduated from law school and joined the firm in 1970. While building the firm into a significant force in the securities industry, they have both been deeply involved in leading the dramatic transformation that has been underway in US securities trading.

Bernard L. Madoff has been a major figure in the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD), the major self-regulatory organization for US broker/dealer firms. The firm was one of the five broker/dealers most closely involved in developing the NASDAQ Stock Market. He has been chairman of the board of directors of the NASDAQ Stock Market as well as a member of the board of governors of the NASD and a member of numerous NASD committees.

One major US financial publication lauded Bernard Madoff for his role in "helping to make NASDAQ a faster, fairer, more efficient and more international system." He has also served as a member of the board of directors of the Securities Industry Association.

Reflecting the growing international involvement of the firm, when Madoff Securities opened a London office in 1983, it would become one of the first US members of the London Stock Exchange. Bernard Madoff was also a founding member of the board of directors of the International Securities Clearing Corporation in London.

Peter B. Madoff has also been deeply involved in the NASD and other financial services regulatory organizations. He has served as vice chairman of the NASD, a member of its board of governors, and chairman of its New York region. He also has been actively involved in the NASDAQ Stock Market as a member of its board of governors and its executive committee and as chairman of its trading committee. He also has been president of the Security Traders Association of New York. He is a member of the board of directors of the Depository Trust and Clearing Corp. He is a member of the board of the Securities Industry Association.

Bernard and Peter Madoff have both played instrumental roles in the development of the fully computerized National Stock Exchange. Peter Madoff has been a member of its board of governors and has served on its executive committee. They have helped make the National Exchange the fastest growing regional stock exchange in the United States.

These positions of leadership not only indicate the deep interest Madoff Securities has shown in its industry, they also reflect the respect the firm and its management have achieved in the financial community.

----------------------------------------------------------
Party Photos: "Smile and say 'Ponzi!'"

Thumb_CIMG1231.JPG

https://www.madoff.com/stany2008/index.htm

------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
The firm is a leading market-maker in all of the S&P 500 stocks as well as over 350 NASDAQ issues. The firm is known for its fine pricing as well as its ability to execute most orders in seconds.

nice finds

MM (market makers) are the guys setting bid/asks on prices and control the flow. A criminal has had his finger on the trigger for years. Empirical evidence of a rigged free market.

I don't mean to be another Dr.Doom, but I feel compelled to share with my community what truths I have been finding because you aren't hearing how it really is.

a few new articles

http://www.reuters.com/article/InvestmentOutlook09/idUSTRE4BA5CO20081211

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/08/pf/laidoff_atfifty.moneymag/index.htm?postversion=2008121110

Today's market will be brutal. I've been saying for a few weeks, next week could be the "capitulation" everyone is looking for as they need to speed up the wave cycle in time for a Santa rally into inauguration.

I'm a believer of the 120-year Kress cycle and it bottoms in 2014.