• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Thanks everyone...I :love: you soooo much. I try to get rest but it comes a little here and a little there. I have a lot on my mind these dayz and that doesn't help either. I really have a burden about children walking or riding their bikes alone. Every one that visits my daughter knows my rule NGWA....No Girl Walks Alone.

Thanks again....it helps me so very much to keep getting your posts.

Choose Love!;-)

I love your girl rule Kat! It's a grayt one. I, like you, can't understand why parents would ever let girls go anywhere alone. It is just not safe. Maybe we need to make a new logo for this and pass it out to all young girls on stickers, shirts, hats, jewelry, everything.

Hope you have a glorious day today and are feeling much better. I will try to get by this weekend to see you.:love: :wave:

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
Thanks everyone...I :love: you soooo much. I try to get rest but it comes a little here and a little there. I have a lot on my mind these dayz and that doesn't help either. I really have a burden about children walking or riding their bikes alone. Every one that visits my daughter knows my rule NGWA....No Girl Walks Alone.

Thanks again....it helps me so very much to keep getting your posts.

Choose Love!;-)

Hi Kat. Good to see your post. You've been on my mind. I totally agree with your NGWA, keep reminding them. I pushed this with my daughter for years. God love her, I think I scared her because she became everyones mom. It stuck with her too. As she grew up, they had a "bar buddy" system. When Natalee Holloway went missing in Aruba, Beth said "See what can happen, she wasn't with her buddy". You are a smart mom Kat. :wave:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Kat, it might ease you a bit to remember that the children in this country are very safe, even if they go places by themselves. It is hard to believe this based on the media coverage given to horrific abductions, online predators, school violence, etc, etc, but the fact is that there are very few children abducted in this country each year, and there isn't any trend that suggests the problem is increasing. The fact is, the overwhelming majority of 'kidnappings' are done by a non-custodial parent or family acquantaince, yet these incidents are statistically counted as kidnappings, and almost never are these children harmed. Since the FBI does not keep a count of 'kipnappings performed by total strangers', it is difficult to tease out how many of these occur a year, but it constitutes a tiny fraction of total kidnappings.

You would never guess this by watching the news, though. It seems that every night between O'Reilly, VanSustren and Grace, Dateline, etc. you would figure that predators are everywhere. This just isn't the case;so much time is given to the topic because they know concerned parents will tune in to get the daily dose of horror....if it bleeds, it leads, as they say in the business.

Am I saying you should throw safety to the wind? Of course not! Teach your kids to use common sense when they go anywhere;they are smarter than we give them credit for! I find it interesting that we accept the fact that kids are the most technically savvy when it comes to computers, but once they get online we strip this quality from them and fear that they are a few clicks away from being led to the mall by a pedophile who will abduct them!

I hope this helps a bit;I have found that the best tonic for our nerves might be to turn off the TV!

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
IMHO, you can never be too careful. We get reports from school every so often ( they come home in their backpacks) of strangers in cars approaching kids on their way to or from school. Do you know how easy it would be to grab a child and throw them in the car? If there are 2 it would probably not happen! And it's not just girls. Very recently in Ohio not far from us a guy was arrested at a summer camp for molesting young boys. He had actually spent a week volunteering at the camp I send my kids to. He did have a previous record but his recent background check didn't show anything b/c his most recent conviction was 8 years ago in another state. I work in children's ministry at my church and our volunteers go through state and federal checks and we have a 2 adult rule. No one EVER should be left alone in a class or with a child at any time.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I agree, parents should be careful, but nobody should be paralyzed with fear over their kids getting abducted. By the way, I remember bringing home notes from school warning of LSD pushers applying the drug to temporary Disney tatoos and giving it to local children who thus became 'hooked'...needless to say, this resulted in parental alarm, but as it turned out, it was an urban legend, no local kids were in danger nor were any given LSD;furthermore, LSD is not addictive. That was a good opportunity for parents to discuss drug abuse, but it instead resulted in hysteria.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
I agree, parents should be careful, but nobody should be paralyzed with fear over their kids getting abducted. By the way, I remember bringing home notes from school warning of LSD pushers applying the drug to temporary Disney tatoos and giving it to local children who thus became 'hooked'...needless to say, this resulted in parental alarm, but as it turned out, it was an urban legend, no local kids were in danger nor were any given LSD;furthermore, LSD is not addictive. That was a good opportunity for parents to discuss drug abuse, but it instead resulted in hysteria.

Definetly, that is no way to live.

sandflea

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Destin
I agree that it shouldn't paralyze you, but it suuuuuuure isn't as safe as it was when I was a kid. I don't have any kids yet but I can see where'd I'd be over protective. Too many freaks out there.