• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Sunny 850, from your first post, it sounds like your son's employer has him set up unrented chairs, the number determined by the usual rental history. I think that is what so many have a problem with- unrented chair setups.

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
It did sound that way, Jdarg, when I reread it, and I was basing that on how it was at his beach chair job last year because it was a privately owned beach where only people staying there could sit so they did set up based on expected numbers. This year, he sets up only for rented sets. He has a clipboard and sets up according to A chart that shows the groupings of chairs based on numbers of people in the group. I will be the first to say I would be furious if I walked across the street with my chair and had no place to sit. I just want to urge people to call the owners or code enforcement, not attack the kids working.

Seagrovestateofmind

Beach Lover
Mar 9, 2012
Hoover AL and Seagrove Fl
I had someone in a tent move my chairs last week to fit between me and another tent. This tent's legs were literally touching the second tent's legs on one side and my chair on the other. It looked like we were all together. I had left 6 to 8 ft between my chairs and the vendor chairs on the other side so I had nowhere to really move and leave a walkway. The second tent picked up and moved 3 feet away from them. When I came back down after lunch they had moved my chairs over another foot and I found toys under my chair.

Seriously people, keep your hands off of other folks stuff.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
I too am a lifelong resident of Walton County. In 48 years of sitting on the beach, I have personally never rented a beach chair. I carry my chair and beach bag to the beach, read my book, enjoy the sun and surf and bother no one. My particular beach access has very very few beach company setups so I haven't had any bad experiences personally, but I do sympathize with those of you who have. However, I would like to speak for the other side. My son is one of those "beach chair guys". He is 16, an honor student, an athlete, and a local kid who is glad to have a summer job. He works 7 days a week, from 6:00 until 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 until 7:00 p.m. He leaves home at 5:30 in the morning. Despite what some people think, the reason they start so early in the morning is because of the extreme heat. By the time he is done setting up about 40 sets at 9 am, he is drenched with sweat and exhausted. It's hard work but it pays decent and allows him to participate in summer sports with his school in the middle of the day. I assure you he would not purposely set up chairs that weren't going to be rented, just for the fun of it. He sets up the number his boss tells him to, based on experience of how many they will need that day of the week. In Two summers, he has only had a 2 problems, but they were pretty ugly as adult women and men cussed at him, threw his chairs, and accused him of ruining their beach day. In both cases, other adults on the beach came to his defense. In one case, it turned out that a husband had told his wife he had set up their personal chairs and the wife was accusing my son of moving them, when in fact the husband came down and told his wife he had not gotten around to setting them up. I would encourage you to call the owners if you are unhappy, not attack the young kids working. These are our local kids. As a true walton county resident, I am thankful that my son can work on the same beaches he grew up on. I too complain about tourists, but the hospitality industry is what makes it possible for our local kids to stay local.

Given the 6am start time you reference your son having to be at work, it seems like the owners of these chair rental companies are ignoring the 7:30 am set-up requirement. Not blaming the kids for doing what they are told...

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
Set up time

Given the 6am start time you reference your son having to be at work, it seems like the owners of these chair rental companies are ignoring the 7:30 am set-up requirement. Not blaming the kids for doing what they are told...

• This is what the ordinance says:
  • 2013-04-22-60(d)(4): Verbiage changed to allow vendors beach access between “7:30 a.m., or after the morning sea turtle nesting survey has been completed, or whichever is earlier, and one hour after sunset. “ And yes, he gets a daily call from turtle watch folks, who give him the go-ahead way, way before 7:30 Every single day.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Before I question Jeff @ beach enforcement can anyone enlighten me as to how much beach an owner has control over? This AM a new vendor set up
Saying the home owner was tired of tents in his backyard so he gave permission for vendor to setup and rent umbrellas(6)
So can he( owner) claim all the way to the water?
I don't think he can. Only to some imaginary line in the sand..........