• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KyGeologist

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
Georgetown, KY
Smiling JOe said:
I wonder if he has ever been to a beach? Isn't Duke a good 3-4 hours from the Beach? I wonder what his field of expertise is? Is the AJC just looking to raise a brow? Maybe interviewing him is like Jay Leno asking basic Current Events questions to the public so that we can get a kick out of listening to the answers. That is why I don't read the AJC, and never will. Give me the days when the Walton Sun had only local stuff. I hate reading into a story, then look to see that it is about Chicago or somewhere. The Walton Sun is still better than the other mind controlling garbage like the AJC.

For what its worth, I've met the Duke Professor in question. He *IS* extremely opinionated about building on the beach, and not very realistic about it. He admits as much himself, surprisingly. The media often go to him and quote him in articles such as this to get the "nobody should be there in the first place" angle for a story. However, he has studied beach and coastal processes for much of his career and is actually one of the most knowledgeable in the field... ...he just happens to be an opinionated JERK about it. He has coordinated a series of books about how coastlines work in different parts of the country. He shares the concerns expressed here about the major importance of preserving dunes. Enough about him.

Even though I am a geologist, and have some understanding of the geologic processes at work and the hazards they pose, I and my family will continue to visit the beach as often as we can, and will continue to support (as best we can) the folks that live and make their living along the coast.

As to the original question about whether beach erosion can be fixed... it can, if it is done right. The beach profile at a given time is a reflection of the waves, the shape of the beach, the sediment on the beach, AND the geometry of the seafloor. If any of those get changed, whether by a storm or an engineering project, then the beach profile will adjust to accommodate the changes. The problem is the complex interaction between those is very poorly understood, and some contractors may not take all the factors into account. Hopefully, the contractors involved in the South Walton projects have been (and will be?) taking as much as possible into account. After all the poundings, stress, and heartache all y'all folks who live on these beaches have endured, you deserve to have your beaches properly repaired as much as possible.

KyGeologist

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
From what I've seen, the final product in SoWal leaves a lot to be desired, but I am a layman for sure. I knew one engineer awhile back that engineered everything properly, and every time the builder and owner hopped up and down screaming about the expense and how it was overkill, and in the end almost everyone goes with the cheapest possible option. Which has been cheap indeed. I'm sure many owners have been told that their improperly engineered and built house will stand forever, against any type of weather.

We also have a lot of older structures made of sticks that were built while no one was looking.

Ed Walline built a lot of the old concrete bunker houses which have held up very well, except for the ones now falling onto the beach from 40-foot bluffs.

If you're too close to the water, nothing, not even mountains, will be spared from the relentless, ruthless, wonderful forces of nature. I'm with the Blue Devil on that one.

KyGeologist

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
Georgetown, KY
kurt said:
From what I've seen, the final product in SoWal leaves a lot to be desired, but I am a layman for sure. I knew one engineer awhile back that engineered everything properly, and every time the builder and owner hopped up and down screaming about the expense and how it was overkill, and in the end almost everyone goes with the cheapest possible option. Which has been cheap indeed. I'm sure many owners have been told that their improperly engineered and built house will stand forever, against any type of weather.

We also have a lot of older structures made of sticks that were built while no one was looking.

Ed Walline built a lot of the old concrete bunker houses which have held up very well, except for the ones now falling onto the beach from 40-foot bluffs.

If you're too close to the water, nothing, not even mountains, will be spared from the relentless, ruthless, wonderful forces of nature. I'm with the Blue Devil on that one.

Well, I agree about the forces of nature: if the coast decides to move, it can't be stopped, only delayed.

I'm sorry to hear that some folks have gotten duped or taken down the cheap route... everyone deserves better.

On a related note: when were the houses along Eastern Lake built? Were they well built in your opinion? ...and Kurt, how did you get access to the beach in front of Eastern Lake Road to get the photos you took yesterday? I'm glad to see that some folks were able to get out and enjoy the sun and sand.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
KyGeologist said:
Well, I agree about the forces of nature: if the coast decides to move, it can't be stopped, only delayed.

I'm sorry to hear that some folks have gotten duped or taken down the cheap route... everyone deserves better.

On a related note: when were the houses along Eastern Lake built? Were they well built in your opinion? ...and Kurt, how did you get access to the beach in front of Eastern Lake Road to get the photos you took yesterday? I'm glad to see that some folks were able to get out and enjoy the sun and sand.

It is far too complicated for me to even begin to pretend to be an expert. And yet building away from the water as possible sounds like an easy solution - that rarely occurs.

There are a lot of houses on Eastern Lake, which ones are you speaking of?

KyGeologist

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
Georgetown, KY
kurt said:
There are a lot of houses on Eastern Lake, which ones are you speaking of?

I was thinking specifically of the houses between SeaTurtle's house with the dangling porch (ouch, I feel awful for him and his family!) and the outlet of Eastern Lake: you posted photos of this stretch of beachfront yesterday (west of the outlet...)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
KyGeologist said:
I was thinking specifically of the houses between SeaTurtle's house with the dangling porch (ouch, I feel awful for him and his family!) and the outlet of Eastern Lake: you posted photos of this stretch of beachfront yesterday (west of the outlet...)

I think they are all different.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
FoX said:
My solution is to have the guvment purchase all the property south of 30-a and cart off every stick and stone, restoring the area to it's untouched state, except for grass and sand parking lots, boardwalks, restrooms, and a few camping sites. Dogs would not be banned, but some people would be.

But that would cost billions. HEY - how many freaking bombs do we need anyway.

If someone gets $2 mil instead of $4mil for their property, well there will be plenty of hourly work for those poor folks from the process to make up the shortfall.
great idea, will never happen

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
OhioBeachBum said:
Kurt,

I'm curious. Always wondered during visits there why the extraordinary investment in home construction without corresponding bucks into foundation protection. You talking about substantially reinforced concrete berms or something else? (Yea, I'm a gear-head, though not that field. Dad was a civil and "fun" summer projects sometimes involved building low - 5-6' - concrete dams across creeks on our land to mitigate erosion, so I'm at least noddingly familiar with bucking mother nature techniques ;-)

I was wondering the same thing today (kinda). I'm also clueless as to the effects of all the various ways to rebuild and retain the dunes but I was thinking why don't they put huge boulders along the dune line and backfill and plant. Kinda like they did at the elbow on Cape San Blas. The boulders might look more "natural " than concrete . I guess the boulders could always be removed after the dunes are strong again. If they can stop Venice, Italy from falling into the sea, I would think something could be done for our beaches. I pray they bring in the best experts in the world and listen to them even if we have to cough it up as owners with an assessment.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
kurt said:
I'm hearing (secondhand) that the county will be scooping sand out of the gulf with backhoes to shore up houses that can be saved - and maybe along the whole dune line. Not waiting for any dredge and fill permits.

I can understand their line of thinking on this. The homes must be saved. But to use this method to rebuild the entire dune line is a mistake. Backhoes would take huge amounts of bottom sand from a single compact area, leaving gaping holes in the gulf floor. Not to mention they can only reach far enough out to collect sand from just beyond the break line. Dredging collects and deposits sand evenly.

The first sand bar that grew immensely after Arlene is where the sand needs to come from.

As painful as it may be for some, IMO, dredging is the only option. Not only do the dunes need to be re-built, but the beaches need to be widened - especially in places like Blue Mountain and Miramar.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
JB said:
I can understand their line of thinking on this. The homes must be saved. But to use this method to rebuild the entire dune line is a mistake. Backhoes would take huge amounts of bottom sand from a single compact area, leaving gaping holes in the gulf floor. Not to mention they can only reach far enough out to collect sand from just beyond the break line. Dredging collects and deposits sand evenly.

The first sand bar that grew immensely after Arlene is where the sand needs to come from.

As painful as it may be for some, IMO, dredging is the only option. Not only do the dunes need to be re-built, but the beaches need to be widened - especially in places like Blue Mountain and Miramar.

It probably will happen at some point. Whether it's right or wrong. It's complicated and people being people will do what they can to do what they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.