• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
From the Defuniak Herald:

Walton County Board of County Commissioners meeting 4 p.m. on May 12 at South Walton Annex. Among items on agenda are an interlocal agreement for a transit study, a proposal for parking improvements on CR-30A, a request to seek bids for an update to Walton County Comprehensive Plan (CP) Transportation Element, a proposed cover letter to property owners for Walton County Hurricane & Storm Damage Reduction Project, a proposal for revisions to land development code and comp plan policies for major and minor developments and Village Mixed Use, discussion of use of RESTORE Act funding for stormwater solutions, and an adoption hearing for St. Joe Bay-Walton Sector Plan. To precede the meeting at 3 p.m are a special meeting/closed executive session on the Lionel and Tammy Alford v. Walton County and Walton County v. Choctawhatchee Beach Corporation lawsuits.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA PENSACOLA DIVISION Lionel and Tammy Alford, as Co-Trustees of the Lionel D. Alford, Jr. andTammy Nix Alford Revocable Trust

http://waltonbeachnourishment.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Alford-v.-Walton-County-Complaint.pdf

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Boy, if I had a law degree I'd set up my practice in Walton County. We have more frivolus lawsuits per capita than any place I've ever lived, and that is a lot of places. The one occupation here assured of a good living seems to be that of attorney.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Exhibit A Page 5 specifically exempts beach and dune restoration projects from the Ordinance. Am I missing something??

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
It does say that. But the Corps won't do it without County approval and cooperation, and the County has raised a good chunk of the money. I guess it comes down to semantics. Personally I don't think "conducted by" means the county has to do all of it themselves. The symphony orchestra 'conductor' isn't up there all alone. "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I will put it right out there.. I am against ANY renourishment.. Mother Nature could very easily take away that millions of $$ in one storm... if the semantics is what it takes to stop it in its tracks, I am all for it. It doesnt seem frivilous to me.. Walton Co. has been adamant about the type or stuff put on our beach for years and should be made to abide by the same standards that property owners have to abide by..

P.s... I DO NOT own beach front property in Walton county..

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Just a thought.. how many folks here went out to our beautiful little 17 mile stretch of gulf to see Katrina pass by?? I have never seen the gulf so angry, 25+foot waves on OUR coast. What makes people think that what was taken away then wont be taken away again this year or next year? The tides have a way of putting sand back ...why are there so many "commissioners" that think they have a better plan than Mother Nature? I have seen storms take the beach away one month then put it back the next..

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
jodiFL, you obviously did not attend any of the workshops on beach restoration held for over a 6 year period by Brad Pickle. You are not alone. They explained why we need beach restoration on our badly eroding beaches and how it can be accomplish. I saw Dennis wipe out our walkover and dune. I don't care to see a repeat of that incident. The money for restoration of Walton County's beaches has already been allocated by the Feds, I understand. If it is not used here, it will be used elsewhere. You state you do not own beachfront property. Many others do and want to see it protected to the best degree possible. I am sure you do all you can to protect your backyard. Please allow us to do the same.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I will put it right out there.. I am against ANY renourishment.. Mother Nature could very easily take away that millions of $$ in one storm... if the semantics is what it takes to stop it in its tracks, I am all for it. It doesnt seem frivilous to me.. Walton Co. has been adamant about the type or stuff put on our beach for years and should be made to abide by the same standards that property owners have to abide by.. P.s... I DO NOT own beach front property in Walton county..
FYI. IF
A storm washed it away, Guess What? The Feds
Will redo it for 50 years. You gonna be here in 50 years ? I'm not. So let's save them for the future
#globalwarming

Rachael Ashman McKee

Beach Lover
May 21, 2012
Seacrest
When the government says they will take care of anything for the next 50 years, I feel that is something to always be wary of. And question, why won't they allow beachfront owners to renew their beach with their own money and specific guidelines? Especially if this is about renourishment and not tourism.