• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Re: Private Property Owner's Rights Being Attacked

Oh...
Guys and gals, don't take any of this private vs. public stuff personally. It is a hot button and you'll usually side with whatever side of the railroad tracks you're on. Problem is one day, you'll be on the "other" side on some issue. I've just tried to point out that things are not always black and white.

The most honest point made on the "Private" side of this debate yet.

Let's just cut thru all the scare tactics and keep the discussion honest. You got your slice of the pie and would rather not share it. While I may not agree with your position, I can understand it.

Let's leave all this silliness about 40 story condos and the ruin of south Walton out of it.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Re: Public's beach rights being attacked

Bump- let's keep this at the top. This issue is on the agenda at 4:40.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005

2 can play this game:

If we allow a handful of specific property owners to assert that their property rights trump historical precedent and the common welfare of the majority of the county, then what is to stop property owners/developers from challenging south Walton’s restrictive (relative to Panama City) zoning and Building Codes?

Isn’t it arguable that if beachfront property owners assert an exclusive control of their land to the water’s edge than it should be their right to build all the way to the water’s edge? Or as high as they want. It is their property afterall. If the county tells you that you can’t build over 50’ then haven’t they in effect seized control of your property from 50’ and above?

We allow Private Beaches, then we will have 40 story Condos right at the water’s edge all along south Walton’shoreline.

Scare tactic seen, acknowledged……and bettered.

Bettered? Don't think so.

We can't build to the waterline for the same reason you can't build up to the right of way. It's called setbacks. And that is not the issue.

I don't want to build the waterline anyway. I wish we were about 100 feet northward.

To address your main point, you have missed it all together. What stops a developer from taking the old Nick's restaurant location and building a 25 story building?
1. Current building height restrictions
2. Private beach which limits "legal" use of the beach and thus marketing potential - the key to this thread!!!

If the county and state eliminates 2, then again 1 is just a relatively simple matter compared to 2.

Keep in mind that this highrise would be a hell of a lot more desirable as most of the units would have a good to GREAT gulf view....a lot better than Redfish Village.

If you can spare us the words such as "dumb" and "silliness" maybe this dialog would elevate where it should be. Just a thought.

Also it does not have to be a 40 story condo. Several 10 or 20 story condos would fit the bill north of 30A.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005

The most honest point made on the "Private" side of this debate yet.

Let's just cut thru all the scare tactics and keep the discussion honest. You got your slice of the pie and would rather not share it. While I may not agree with your position, I can understand it.

Let's leave all this silliness about 40 story condos and the ruin of south Walton out of it.

You're right. I worked long and hard, put myself through college, started a business, made mostly good decisions and then bought my apple pie (my dream of ownership at the beach - no different than that stock company commercial). Now you think you're entitled to my only apple pie just because you want it????

Geeeeze.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
If you can't see what has ALREADY happened up and down 30A when several of the beaches are private (as declared by Walton TDC),
The TDC (Tourist Development Council) has ABSOLUTELY no authority to declare anything public or private.