• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
One thing to remember is that there isn't enough public parking at Grayton if you keep the vehicles off the beach. The homeowners in Grayton may be outraged at all the parking in the streets.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Yes. And I grew up on Pensacola Beach. I remember the dunes we had growing up and the work we all did destroying them as driving was allowed on the beach. Thankfully that sort of driving was finally stopped, but alas, it did not matter, the developers finally finished the job that my parents started. But boy did we have fun.

I have no problem with driving on the beach, I have a problem with the hypocrisy. They want to ban bonfires because they hurt the turtles, yet driving does not? We can get a permit to drive on the beach if we own property, not even close to the beach, just somewhere in Walton County? Those conditions are ludicrous and unconstitutional. But everyone talks about wanting to follow the law of the land, except we want an exception for driving on the beach. Hypocrisy abounds. If someone wants a permit I will sell you some Walton County dirt, cheap, so you can qualify before the changes take affect.

What is wrong with driving on the beach like they do in Daytona? Everyone pays a toll and drives away? I know, I know, we need to make sure that people that drive on the beach have a vehicle that can drive on the beach so they do not get stuck, why? If they want to try it, let them try it. We could make just as much money with a guvment wrecker that charges $500 to pull you out if you are stupid enough to try.

But the right thing to do would be to stop the driving in order to protect the environment and put some restrooms in at Grayton. Talk about something that is needed.

I can agree with your last statement. I don't want to give up driving to the beach but I will gladly do so when the time comes. meanwhile, there are restrictions on WHO can drive on the beach in addition to WHERE we can drive on the beach. these things may not be perfect restrictions - but they provide protection to the beach and it keeps the traffic down to a managable, safe level. we are not Daytona - we do not have a firm beach that serves as a two lane road. thankfully. I am thrilled we have the restrictions we have - we probably need additional restrictions as well. our beaches are wholly unique and deserve to be treated as such.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Does it have something to do with the western "No Driving" sign? I heard, so no actual confirmation, that some of the beach front home owners had paid the county to move the sign 300 feet to the east.

Just curious if this is true and if it's what is coming up at the BCC?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I hope they hurry up and decide my fate before I get that midsize sand worthy suv. I was SO looking forward to have a status sticker on my car. :rotfl:

Never mind...I will have two status stickers on my car...sowl.com and 30A Funn. :D

Chief Deputy TC

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2005
The Tax Collector's Office is only proposing language to clarify "proof" of real property ownership, and to clarify permit eligibility when property is owned by an LLC,

Same issues regarding "dog on the beach" permits.

The discussion always gets expanded to "allow", "don't allow", expand to non-property owners, etc. when these ordinances are up for a review.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think that letting any Walton County property owner w/ a 4x4 be able to buy a permit and drive on the beach at Grayton is a great and very democratic thing.

It's one of the things that makes our community great.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I'm curious as to how many property owners come down, drive their ridiculously expensive vehicles on the beach, go home and then wonder 6 - 8 months wonder why their paint is peeling and their undercarriage is rusting away. :rotfl:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
GRAYTON BEACH NEIGHBOHOOD ASSOCIATION: Beach Permit Committee Update

A Driving on the Beach Committee was formed when it was announced the the County Commissioners were going to be looking at this issue at their September Meeting. This committee was formed by concerned citizens to come up with some suggestions to present to the Commissioners. It was NOT a GBNA committee. Billy Buzzett and Grant Blackwell presented the committee's suggestions at the meeting. After the presentation the Commissioners voted to table the issued until October 13th for further review:

Summary: Proposed Beach Vehicle Ordinance...