• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I agree - why should an out of state visitor be allowed to have a permit when a full time resident can't?

Especially since part of the reason it is being reviewed is because of the large number of vehicles on the beach during the TOURIST season and the large number of permit holders from one residence!

IMO limiting it to FL residents & landowners for new permits and grandfathering in existing ones (and limiting it to a max of 2 permits per household for both) is much fairer.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I agree - why should an out of state visitor be allowed to have a permit when a full time resident can't?

Especially since part of the reason it is being reviewed is because of the large number of vehicles on the beach during the TOURIST season and the large number of permit holders from one residence!

IMO limiting it to FL residents & landowners for new permits and grandfathering in existing ones (and limiting it to a max of 2 permits per household for both) is much fairer.

Out of state visitors are not allowed permits. Walton county property owners who live out of the county are if there is a dwelling on their property and if they currently hold a permit.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
That's what I meant.

Rephrase:

Why should an out of state second home owner (or their renters) be able to get a permit when a full time Walton County resident cannot?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
That's what I meant.

Rephrase:

Why should an out of state second home owner (or their renters) be able to get a permit when a full time Walton County resident cannot?

It is a point of contention. In this "grandfather" scenario they are attempting to allow the non-residents who currently have permits to renew them, rather than cut them off entirely. No doubt some non-resident families who have a long-time home here, especially in Grayton, are being given consideration.

It will be interesting to see how Grayton residents and non-resident owners react. I believe most feel that they should be granted a permit no matter what. But many also would like to see the number of permits dwindle. And then there are those who wouldn't mind having no vehicles on the beach at all.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

This sounds like a fair alternative to me.

If they still feel the need for a cap on the total number of permits, it would seem fair to let new permits come from the count of expired and non-renewed ones. FIFO waiting list for those. Priority for full-time resident/owners in some way, but not to exclude vacation home owners.

Last edited:

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
so if i don't have one now am i allowed to get one tommorrow before the meeting?i own property but have never got one

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I would like an uber-fine for the people who take total advantage of the system- like the car I keep seeing around town with the sticker affixed to a magnet- and the magnet slapped on the front side door. Nice job- did it come with your rental?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I would like an uber-fine for the people who take total advantage of the system- like the car I keep seeing around town with the sticker affixed to a magnet- and the magnet slapped on the front side door. Nice job- did it come with your rental?

As you are aware, it has to be permanently affixed. Not sure what would happen if a deputy saw it on the beach. Also, the actual permit is a printout that must be kept in the vehicle. It must match the vehicle ID and the owner or other designated driver.