Bridge Addition for US HWY 331

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Bob Wells, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Better State level Legislators, ie Patronis, Bense and the like. You'd be better off discussing the issue with Rep Drake, he is or was on one the Transportation comittee.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

I am outraged. The state 4 lanes everything and lies in wait until the all important bridge needs to be done. "oops - we ain't got nuff money for that you local yocals have to pay up."

It's like a builder putting up 1 story and then telling you that he needs 12 million dollars to add the 2nd story to finish your home.

I understand the no toll no tax plea.

3. Furthur

Furthur Beach Lover

No Bridge Now

If, as has been mentioned in a previous post, Greg Kisela in a Sept Email, initiated the idea to DOT, that Walton was willing to pay 75M for a new bridge; I would be very disappointed in our new county administrator.

Look at our reality.
    Sowal has no community center.
    Our seniors meet in an old used double wide.
    Meals on Wheels has had to cut back because the county can't pay up.

And we are thinking of Quadrupling our debt for a bridge that does what?

We don't have Okey Dokey money over here Mr. K.
    Show us quantitatively just how a quarter Billion dollar bridge is going to benefit anyone when 331 is still such a bottleneck and overall disaster.
    Drive any mile on that road and count the skid marks.

It would be obscene not to fix that first. That is where people are being hurt and getting killed. It is the daily drive that we need to focus on.

4. Misty

Misty Banned

Heres the email of which you speak.

Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 3:32 PM
    To: Starsky Harrell; Gerry Demers; Dede Hinote; Dawn Moliterno; Lynn Hoshihara; William Imfeld
    Cc: Cindy Price
    Subject: 331 Update

To all: Commissioner Pridgen, Kelly Beth Horton, and I met with Ananth Prasad, Secretary of FDOT and Tommy Barfield yesterday to talk about the plan to four‐lane 331 from I‐10 to south of the Bridge.

We explained if the County committed to providing a 20% to 25% match (cap of $75M) would the state provide the balance.

The Secretary liked the idea and tasked Tommy with coming up with a plan to accomplish this.

I told him we needed an answer within thirty (30) days. This assumes the work is completed within 5 to 7 years.

The earliest we could have the issue on the ballot is March 2012. We can also use the August and November 2012 ballots.

By copy of this e‐mail I am asking Cindy to set up a meeting for next week so we can discuss the next steps and develop a game plan to proceed.

This is far from being a done deal but I remain optimistic if we demonstrate our commitment by bring significant funds to the table than FDOT will exhaust every effort to do their part.

Gregory A. Kisela

County Administrator
    Walton County

kisgreg@co.walton.fl.us
    (850)892‐8155 Office
    (850)333‐2227 Cell

5. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

Maybe a stupid idea but there are emergency lanes on both sides. Couldn't these be utilized in an emergency evacuation for additional north bound traffic, effectively providing one or two more lanes?

6. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

It is really distressing to see so many with such short sightedness as to not realize this area will grow. 50 cents out of every $100 is a small price to pay for the progress that would be garnered over a period of time. But then, we can do as Walton County has done in the past. Stick our heads in the sand and continue down the road of mediocraty.

7. Misty

Misty Banned

So, because the area will grow....it's ok in your opinion for the County to Broker a deal with the DOT to build a bridge we can not afford, LIE to the public in order to effect the "deal" and TAX the people in order to accomplish the "deal"??

Thats democracy in action huh?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. buster

buster Beach Fanatic

Is there anything about life in America that you like? It's so easy to be outraged. I recommend a chill pill.

Educate yourself about the complete issue, not just what you hear or read. Go to meetings, talk to the officials in charge and hear all sides of the story. Deals are made every day in government and politics, that's life and that's how business gets done when bureaucracy beds down with capitalism.

Personally i think it stinks that our road needs are not taken care of through our regular tax dollars. But I suspect the overall system is to blame, not a few individuals. Sometimes deals have to be made. It's only the shortsighted and quick to judge who are unwilling to see the big picture.

9. Misty

Misty Banned

The big picture is a bridge we dont' need if it means making us the highest TAXED County in the State. if I want something I buy it if I can afford it. Not so the government...they just tax us to death to accomplish their agendas.

10. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama
    I believe the bridge is needed long-term but I resent the means by which the BCC attempted to decieve the voters by implying the deal was the state's idea instead of their's. Deception leads to mistrust and mistrust leads to rejection. The toll would have been an economic disaster for the working people of the county. Raising our taxes to the highest level in the state connot be good for our businesses.
    I cannot see the huge advantage to Sowal in building this bridge. People are going to come to the beaches, either through the airports or through an alternate ground route. And the current bridge could carry three lanes of traffic for evacuation purposes if properly marked. Four-laning 331 could help business in the north-end but I question how many will want to pay the higher taxes. So the people of Sowal are asked to pay higher taxes for something they could live without and those in Nowal who rarely come south are asked to pay higher taxes for something they do not use.
    I cannot see the voters approving this measure and a little foresight on someone's part could have figured this out. So we will be left with no bridge and our BCC will have no credibility in Tally. The much better path would have been continued lobbying for the state to fund the bridge the regular way in the future.

11. buster

buster Beach Fanatic

Half wit.

Full wit.

12. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Although I agree with some of what Idlewind says there is other comments I disagree with. I support the bridge and I support the tax over the toll, I would prefer the 1 % tax over the 1/2 % and if it is true that it would cheaper to do a bank loan over a bond I would prefer the bank loan. Many people say the bridge won't do this and it won't do that and others say it will do this and it will do that and really there is no promise from either side that they can prove, IMO. I don't like the idea how this has been handled at the county level and believe that will show up in the election and possibly some county employees will be taking a hit when the next commission takes over. Personally I think the bridge will make a difference and according to Governor Scott, many of you have voted for, he has stated that he likes the toll idea, Escambia and Santa Rosa governments have been asked to assist in replacing the Pensacola Bay Bridge because of its age. I was told Escambia passed a resolution that said no, I am not sure if the state couldn't toll the bridge without local government but they are going to do what they are going to do. As many folks here profess their conservatism and sales tax seems to be a fairer way of paying for this. I know the more you make the more you will spend the more you will pay for the bridge and some seem to find that to be unfair. It is the system. The veiws expressed here are mine and mine alone, they are not the WCTA, Walton County Republicans or Democrats or the Tea Party. Thanks for the opportunity to ramble.

13. Furthur

Furthur Beach Lover

No Bridge Necessary

A short sighted, mediocre, lack of vision or a clear eyed view of Overextended Grandiosity?
    Take your pick and cast your vote on Tuesday April 24.

The problem isn't with who or how this deal was made. The problem is with the deal itself.
    Since Kisela's first email our debt was quadrupled and our credit maxed out.
    Inevitably this will lead to a lower credit rating and consequently higher interest rates. A financial straight jacket. Making our real needs, present and future, much harder to finance.

Walton county has plenty of needs. But building a redundant bridge across the bay isn't going to improve any of our lives. People have been maimed and killed on 331 for years. Four-laning the Hwy to Alabama has to be finished first. Then we can recalculate the evacuation times and determine how many minutes will be saved with the expenditure of 250M for an Extra bridge.

14. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Bob, Exactly what did I say that you disagreed with? I agree conceptually that a bridge is needed, do not like how this deal was concieved or presented to the citizens and much prefer a tax over a toll. Do you think the voters are going to approve this? Or do you think tourists will cease to come to Sowal if the bridge is not built? These are the only major points you did not address and the rest we seem to agree on.

15. rocketman

rocketman Beach Comber

Pragmatism

Idlewind and Furthur:
    Thank you for your common sense/pragmatic evaluation of the bridge situation. Upon reading some of the latest posts and emails from local government officials, one (the citizen taxpayer) has to feel that they are at a used car lot and the salesperson is trying to close the deal as soon as possible. It's either deal or no deal on state bridge funding. Let's get the highway four-laned similar to our neighbors in adjoing counties with north/south corridors and then we'll take care of the bridge. With gas approaching $4 bucks a gallon, it's difficult enough for working folks to pay the bills, gas, a toll or additional sales tax. (And I'm a hard core conservative Republican) Again if there is impending threatening weather, let's be a bit proactive and evacuate ASAP. The bridge can be made three lanes (two north and one south). Annnnyyywaaaay.....

Rock on,
    Rocketman

16. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I suppose I misread some of your statements, that and I was a little uncomfortable that we agreed, JOKING

17. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Hey Bob, even a blind squirel finds a nut occasionally so you are off the hook for agreeing with me this one time. If you make it a habit though you better start worrying.:lol:

18. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Which one of us are blind? :)

19. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

I would never comment on the condition of your sight.:D

20. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Then you have seen my eyes.